Match Thread Barnsley Match Thread (5 Viewers)

capel & collindridge

We need 2 wins every 5 for survival, think we can manage that
I think 4 wins in 13 games would make sure of survival. After 39 games we would have 12 wins / 36 points. In the remaining 7 games at the same rate we would take that to 14 wins / 42 points. No team in the championship had less than 8 draws last season. So our minimum total for 4 wins in 13 games should be at least 50 points. Luton came 19th last year with 14 won, 9 drawn and 23 lost. And two teams finished higher than Luton yet won only 13 games each.

So I reckon 3 wins, 2 draws and 5 losses from our next ten games should leave us on course for survival.

Londonccfcfan

As I keep saying it’s an opinion. I hope he succeeds as we then succeed. If everyone is seeing a great midfielder then I am in a minority. For what it’s worth I believe that Shipley should have started today over Sheaf, as we had a midfield that was not used to playing with each other and it showed.

What??? Shipley should have started over Sheaf.
I'm sorry mate your clueless.

Shipley didn't touch the ball as soon as he come on for 10 mins.

We were awfull as soon as subs were made.

stupot07

Personally I'd give Shipley a few games ahead of Allen in the front of the box. Its where he was so effective last season, and he actually makes runs beyond the striker. Him and Godden linked up well last season.

Allen has been quite poor so far.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

NortonSkyBlue

We had an unbalanced midfield with all putting in sub par performances which in my opinion was because with Kelly out we had strangers playing together. Btw it’s you are clueless not your clueless.
I bow to your superior opinion.

TomRad85

Personally I'd give Shipley a few games ahead of Allen in the front of the box. Its where he was so effective last season, and he actually makes runs beyond the striker. Him and Godden linked up well last season.

Allen has been quite poor so far.

I'd ideally like 1 more signing... someone to play in the Allen/Shipley position but with a bit more pace.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

stupot07

I'd ideally like 1 more signing... someone to play in the Allen/Shipley position but with a bit more pace.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
Me too in an ideal world, we really lack options in that area, especially someone who can change a match. Ita a shame Jones and Bapaga are both injured.

Londonccfcfan

We had an unbalanced midfield with all putting in sub par performances which in my opinion was because with Kelly out we had strangers playing together. Btw it’s you are clueless not your clueless.
I bow to your superior opinion.

Your entitled to my opinion.

It's amazing how Kelly has become a championship level midfielder whilst being injured.

Yes Kelly's strength is keeping it very simple. Offensively he doesnt offer anything like the other defensive midfielders.
I'm a big fan of Kelly. He has a role to play but not sure he will ahead of Sheaf/Hamer.

shmmeee

We really missed someone to come on in AM/ST and run at the defence. They doubled up on O’Hare and with it nullified out creative force. Allen is tidy but for me doesn’t offer enough impact.

Id like to see Jobello given a shot, have we got an ETA on Bapaga yet? Hilßner back in training too. We needed something and the Walker/Godden partnership isn’t there yet.

stevefloyd

A couple of points on Hamer firstly he was paired with Shipley and many people have acknowledged that its not Shipleys natural position then he had Sheaf who at times got caught in possession and dropped us in the shit with some strange passes, I think we will see a different Hamer when Kelly returns and he has someone he can rely on so he can concentrate on his own game

shmmeee

Your entitled to my opinion.

It's amazing how Kelly has become a championship level midfielder whilst being injured.

Yes Kelly's strength is keeping it very simple. Offensively he doesnt offer anything like the other defensive midfielders.
I'm a big fan of Kelly. He has a role to play but not sure he will ahead of Sheaf/Hamer.

Kelly is ahead of Sheaf on the evidence for me so far.

Londonccfcfan

We really missed someone to come on in AM/ST and run at the defence. They doubled up on O’Hare and with it nullified out creative force. Allen is tidy but for me doesn’t offer enough impact.

Id like to see Jobello given a shot, have we got an ETA on Bapaga yet? Hilßner back in training too. We needed something and the Walker/Godden partnership isn’t there yet.

Agree with this. But jobello is not the answer unless it's a different one from last season.

shmmeee

Agree with this. But jobello is not the answer unless it's a different one from last season.

Who else have we got at the minute? Stranger things have happened that a two footed winger moving slightly inside. Ideally it would be Bapaga but he’s not fit.

For all the quality on the bench today, none of them were game changers really.

Londonccfcfan

A couple of points on Hamer firstly he was paired with Shipley and many people have acknowledged that its not Shipleys natural position then he had Sheaf who at times got caught in possession and dropped us in the shit with some strange passes, I think we will see a different Hamer when Kelly returns and he has someone he can rely on so he can concentrate on his own game
All midfielders will.
Difference is huge...Sheaf wants the ball in difficult areas. Intercepts in difficult areas...So by all logic will get caught out.

Shipley...is not defensive midfielder never will be.

Paxman II

Sheaf needs game time and is a class act at this level that will start showing it once he has his roll more defined. Today he found spce but team mates did not notice his movement.
Over all we did well against a team who did their homework on us. We will need to find that ruthless streak when in the accendancy though that at times just was not there today.

SeaSeeEffCee

Easy to forget that we were the better side in the first half and had the lion’s share of the ball. Think there is a natural tendency to base the full opinion of the game on the second half, mainly due to it being fresher in the memory, but had they not changed things up at half time I think we’d have gone on to win.

Main positive to take are that we seem comfortable continuing our style of play despite the step up in level. Despite quite a few misplaced passes we stuck to our guns and look confident in our ability to play the ball around. Lesser sides would definitely play within themselves given the jump in opposition quality.

Have to agree with those praising Hamer, I think he looks an excellent player. The main quality that’s stood out to me is his ability to win the ball and progress it up the pitch. He’s always looking up and will try and move the ball forward as opposed to maintaining sterile possession. He’s great in tight spaces as well and doesn’t panic when swarmed. Think we’ve got a real player on our hands here.

McFadzean as well was solid. Definitely justified Robins’ persistence with him despite the availability of Rose. Not really sure where he comes back into the side at the moment as Ostigard and Hyam have been solid too. Will have to wait for now I’d imagine.

cc84cov

I thought we looked weaker when Allen went off and we went 2 upfront, this was the same as Bristol City. We just lost the balance in the midfield and made us vulnerable to more chances. We do miss Kelly
Kelly possibly back for the game Friday ? If fit he walks back into the 11 him & Hamer I feel is the correct balance in that middle

Covstu

Kelly possibly back for the game Friday ? If fit he walks back into the 11 him & Hamer I feel is the correct balance in that middle
That’s the danger isn’t it, if he is 80% then he shouldnt play but maybe a sub to balance the game in the last 20 mins

Kieranp96

Wasn't a bad game, think we should have won tbh, but our attacking was just so disjointed, there was multipul occasions when all it took was one ball and we would have had a 1v1 but the balls just never seemed to go a ywya onto the next.

Tommo1993

A little concern is we looked all at sea because O’Hare was cut out of the game. Our biggest threat was corners, never thought I’d say that.

steve cooper

Barnsley are no mugs, despite having no points up until today.
They have lost to Reading who are top, and lost narrowly to Luton who are top 6, but have beaten Middlesborough & Notts Forest in the EFL cup.
At the end of last season they took 15 points from their final 9 games after football restarted, beating Notts Forest, Brentford, QPR, and Blackburn.
Good point today played under fairly adverse weather conditions.

Londonccfcfan

Easy to forget that we were the better side in the first half and had the lion’s share of the ball. Think there is a natural tendency to base the full opinion of the game on the second half, mainly due to it being fresher in the memory, but had they not changed things up at half time I think we’d have gone on to win.

Main positive to take are that we seem comfortable continuing our style of play despite the step up in level. Despite quite a few misplaced passes we stuck to our guns and look confident in our ability to play the ball around. Lesser sides would definitely play within themselves given the jump in opposition quality.

Have to agree with those praising Hamer, I think he looks an excellent player. The main quality that’s stood out to me is his ability to win the ball and progress it up the pitch. He’s always looking up and will try and move the ball forward as opposed to maintaining sterile possession. He’s great in tight spaces as well and doesn’t panic when swarmed. Think we’ve got a real player on our hands here.

McFadzean as well was solid. Definitely justified Robins’ persistence with him despite the availability of Rose. Not really sure where he comes back into the side at the moment as Ostigard and Hyam have been solid too. Will have to wait for now I’d imagine.

Excellent post. Take a bow.

AFCCOVENTRY

What I never appreciated is Fadz ability to hit a long pass. Some of his long range passing was impressive.

I actually think Robins got the subs wrong today. I get it was probably a fitness thing more than anything. However, once Sheaf came off the midfield became quite overrun and Shipley’s positioning was way off the pace of the game.

I feel in the Championship someone like Bapaga could thrive in the front 3. Has all the attributes to be a dangerous player for us. Just need a bit more dynamic play up front.

Godden today in a long time showed us that if he doesn’t get a few chances, he didn’t bring much up front. Very static. But it could be the defenders just had the better of him. But no intelligent runs and he just couldn’t hold the ball when it came to him. I feel Walker gets stuck in a bit more and was winning balls up front.

It will be interesting to see if Kelly comes back in the team if he can let Hamer play a little more forward with his driving play. But it’s obvious to see Hamer is a class act. Again in this game you can see he’s looking for intelligent runs from the forward play and it just wasn’t happening. Same happened a few times against QPR.

Personally I think we need one more signing in the attacking department. Allen for all his hard work isn’t creating chances for the main striker.

SlowerThanPlatt

What I never appreciated is Fadz ability to hit a long pass. Some of his long range passing was impressive.

I actually think Robins got the subs wrong today. I get it was probably a fitness thing more than anything. However, once Sheaf came off the midfield became quite overrun and Shipley’s positioning was way off the pace of the game.

I feel in the Championship someone like Bapaga could thrive in the front 3. Has all the attributes to be a dangerous player for us. Just need a bit more dynamic play up front.

Godden today in a long time showed us that if he doesn’t get a few chances, he didn’t bring much up front. Very static. But it could be the defenders just had the better of him. But no intelligent runs and he just couldn’t hold the ball when it came to him. I feel Walker gets stuck in a bit more and was winning balls up front.

It will be interesting to see if Kelly comes back in the team if he can let Hamer play a little more forward with his driving play. But it’s obvious to see Hamer is a class act. Again in this game you can see he’s looking for intelligent runs from the forward play and it just wasn’t happening. Same happened a few times against QPR.

Personally I think we need one more signing in the attacking department. Allen for all his hard work isn’t creating chances for the main striker.

I thought Allen was more of a number 8 than 10

kg82

I love how people say we got things wrong yesterday! It’s completely one-sided, just looking at what we did and not what Barnsley did.
1. We got a point away from home.
2. It was a boring game. Know why? Because both teams had done their homework, got it spot on and cancelled each other out. We crowded their attack, they couldn’t get many opportunities. Same with us. Our 1 true chance came to Ostigard, and he was unlucky. But 1 clear cut chance in a whole game (maybe 2, but McFadz blocked theirs) tells you both teams cancelled each other out.
3. You get those games. A point away is decent. We didn’t get anything wrong.

Magwitch

Did okay, and worth the point imo, our forwards weren’t quite at it Goddens first touch was poor and I thought O’Hare was over running with the ball at times he’s going to have to get used to close marking. You don’t score if you don’t have shots apart from the header that hit the bar I don’t remember any shots on goal.

Users who are viewing this thread