Bakayoko injury (1 Viewer)

Sky Blue Pete

How did the keepers actions not endanger bakayoko?

Careless, reckless, using excessive force
“Careless” means that the player has shown a lack of attention or consideration when making a challenge or that he acted without precaution.
• No further disciplinary sanction is needed if a foul is judged to be careless

“Reckless” means that the player has acted with complete disregard to the danger to, or consequences for, his opponent.
• A player who plays in a reckless manner must be cautioned

“Using excessive force” means that the player has far exceeded the necessary use of force and is in danger of injuring his opponent.
• A player who uses excessive force must be sent off

Charging an opponent
The act of charging is a challenge for space using physical contact within playing distance of the ball without using arms or elbows.
It is an offence to charge an opponent:
• in a careless manner
• in a reckless manner
• using excessive force

How the hell was it not careless?

jordan210

Its funny how much protection GK's get. You cant get close to them without giving away a foul. Yet they can clear a player out to get the ball.

If someone does a heavy tackle but gets the ball first anyway else on the pitch 9 out of 10 times a ref still gives a foul.

GaryMabbuttsLeftKnee

I may be wrong and would need to see it again, but did he not come out punch the ball clear and there was a collision after that? If that is the case, it is very harsh to blame the keeper or suggest that it is anyway a foul. Again, unless I missed something on the shit iFollow replays, it would be no different to someone winning a header and then there being a collision afterwards. Unfortunately, in a sport where you can compete for a ball in the air these things can happen and I am wishing Baka a very speedy recovery.

Frostie

I may be wrong and would need to see it again, but did he not come out punch the ball clear and there was a collision after that? If that is the case, it is very harsh to blame the keeper or suggest that it is anyway a foul. Again, unless I missed something on the shit iFollow replays, it would be no different to someone winning a header and then there being a collision afterwards. Unfortunately, in a sport where you can compete for a ball in the air these things can happen and I am wishing Baka a very speedy recovery.

Spot on. Just a really unfortunate incident.

CJ_covblaze

I’ve done it but it was my Centre Half that got one in the jaw. I’m sure it’s not what Samba set out to do. Hopefully he makes a full recovery and is back playing soon.

NorthernWisdom

I may be wrong and would need to see it again, but did he not come out punch the ball clear and there was a collision after that? If that is the case, it is very harsh to blame the keeper or suggest that it is anyway a foul.
It's more the amount of protection a keeper gets in return that annoys me. Sneeze in their general direction and it's a foul, but they have the added advantage of being able to use their fists legitimately!

Sky Blue Pete

How the hell is it not reckless to knock a player out!! I hear you and I do recognise that their reaction was magnificent but the keeper had no regard whatsoever for bakayoko when he made that challenge

Sky Blue Pete

It's a contact sport Pete. As unfortunate as it is, things like this do happen.
But if you raise your foot and catch someone in the face you know the consequences might be and and the law recognises this. Similar with going to ground and sliding in and having your foot up. Surely jumping into someone’s head you know what the consequence might be

It’s fine I’m thinking through what my decision would have been as a ref. Outside the box it’s a definite foul and red card. If the attacker has the ball it’s definitely a red and a penalty

Just trying to understand

Interesting opinions

Terry Gibson's perm

Goalkeepers are over protected but the whole game has gone soft centre backs getting a little touch and rolling around, if a centre half hasn’t got a bashed up face there is something wrong.

GaryMabbuttsLeftKnee

But if you raise your foot and catch someone in the face you know the consequences might be and and the law recognises this. Similar with going to ground and sliding in and having your foot up. Surely jumping into someone’s head you know what the consequence might be

It’s fine I’m thinking through what my decision would have been as a ref. Outside the box it’s a definite foul and red card. If the attacker has the ball it’s definitely a red and a penalty

Just trying to understand

Interesting opinions
Think you are being overly sensitive personally. In literally any sport, a player can be knocked unconscious and it just be an accident. A keeper has come to claim the ball, he has claimed the ball. Bakayoko has risen to a challenge he was probably not going to win (brave of him) and the keeper has claimed the ball and Baka has really unfortunately had a big collision and got injured. The equivalent elsewhere on the pitch may well not be a foul. A player could win a header, another player mistime their jump head the other players head and be knocked unconscious. Hard to see how that is remotely the player who wins the headers fault?

I have just rewatched and It wasn't a raised knee as someone suggested, it was just the force of the collision.

I am really struggling to see the angle of how this is a talking point to be honest. If the idea is we prevent all aerial contact, okay, not sure I agree with it but there's an argument for it. Are we saying keepers can't come out and punch a ball? I really don't know what we're trying to say.

1612354478088.png

Sky Blue Pete

Think you are being overly sensitive personally. In literally any sport, a player can be knocked unconscious and it just be an accident. A keeper has come to claim the ball, he has claimed the ball. Bakayoko has risen to a challenge he was probably not going to win (brave of him) and the keeper has claimed the ball and Baka has really unfortunately had a big collision and got injured. The equivalent elsewhere on the pitch may well not be a foul. A player could win a header, another player mistime their jump head the other players head and be knocked unconscious. Hard to see how that is remotely the player who wins the headers fault?

I have just rewatched and It wasn't a raised knee as someone suggested, it was just the force of the collision.

I am really struggling to see the angle of how this is a talking point to be honest. If the idea is we prevent all aerial contact, okay, not sure I agree with it but there's an argument for it. Are we saying keepers can't come out and punch a ball? I really don't know what we're trying to say.

View attachment 18598
Thanks that’s reasonable

Terry Gibson's perm

I’m changing mine to say goalies are over protected apart from ours who got hammered by that clogger from Cardiff and nothing happened

Grendel

How the hell is it not reckless to knock a player out!! I hear you and I do recognise that their reaction was magnificent but the keeper had no regard whatsoever for bakayoko when he made that challenge

It wasn’t a foul he punched the ball and got injured as he fell

Grendel

He was clearly KO’d before he hit the floor if that’s against the keeper it’s a free kick

well an outfield player can’t punch the ball. The injury occurred as they clashed and he landed on the back of his head

shmmeee

Sorry, how is that any different from the pen Wilson gave away? He also saved the ball then clattered the forward. As someone else said apparently for outfield players it doesn’t even matter if you win the ball these days.

No consistency at all.

Happy_Martian

An outfield player tackles another and takes the ball, it's okay. If as part of the same action, he then follows through and injures the player, that is a foul in my book. Same with keepers. Punch the ball fine but if you make contact with an opposition player as followthrough, that should be deemed dangerous play.

Users who are viewing this thread