Attractive Football verses Relegation ? (1 Viewer)

dongonzalos

Coventry currently hold the longest tenure in the Championship league of 11 consecutive seasons

During the above 11 years I enjoyed watching the football under Roland, Black and Thorn. I think the squad now is a lot weaker than any squad the previous managers had at their disposal.

Would you be happy with Cov playing unattractive football but staying in the championship year in year out. Or would you rather them get relegated but stick to attractive football and hopefully get more success in a lower division.

Not actually sure where I stand on this. I really dont enjoy it when Cov play long ball.
Dont think we can afford the players to achieve promotion via the passing game. So may conside relegation then hopefully promotion through attractive football

Would be concerned about the club going into administration though.

Just a thought

Last edited:

rob9872

So you liked it under black and thorn ... what a great cide we had under those two

dongonzalos

So you liked it under black and thorn ... what a great cide we had under those two

Very quick :claping hands:

My worry would be though I thought we would come back to the Prem straight away, I dont think I would fancy 11 years in division 1

ICHAN

Ugly for me survival is a priority over anything else.

I have a big fear about relegation as I think it will be a long long time before we get near promotion if we are lucky.

How many truely thought when we got relegated that 11 years down the line we would be struggling like we are?
I never for 1 minute thought we would still be where we are so bring on ugly football and get out of this mess by any means possible.
The team need to start getting ugly and start fighting for the cause.
Under AB it may have been ugly but teams feared us which they certainly don't at the moment.

Otis

Let's play attractive football in League One and Two and see where it gets us. :facepalm:

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
at this point if winning ugly achieved staying up then i would take it

However staying up and attractive football are not mutually exclusive. What we need is effective football and we havent had that all season

skybluelee

I couldn't give a toss if we played the most unattractive football in the country. All i care about is winning.

Surely nobody in their right mind would choose us spreading the ball around with the artistry of Barcelona and losing 0-1 every week ahead of playing like the Wimbledon of the 80s/90s and winning 1-0 every week thanks to an ugly 'route one' winner.

Otis

I agree.

Winning is what it's al about and if we would have kept on winning under Boothroyd last season and had made the play-offs then I would have been well happy.

Whilst my club are playing League football I don't care what league they are in. I want to be entertained when I go to the games if we play long ball, we play it well and we win I will enjoy it. If we play passing football, we play it well and we win I will enjoy it.

If we play any style and play it badly then I will not be entertained.

Essentially I don't care about the style, I care about us doing it well.

TheHellion

Whatever it is that keeps us up, will do me. When you are in this situation, you can't be picky about the style. The only thing that matters is getting the results. If that means Wimbledon, not Barcelona, then so be it. At least in the short term.

In the longer term, I'm sure we'd all love to see on the floor passing and movement. But safety over style first and foremost from where I sit.

Nonleagueherewecome

The problem is that long ball does not equal good results. If it did, all football managers apart from diehard purists would be doing it! If there is one thing that the fans of a club who suffered the worst long ball dross played in this division in years last season should know, it's that long ball is one-dimensional and easy to defend against. You might get away with it for maybe a dozen or so games, but thereafter teams will know exactly how to neutralise you.

Otis

Worked for Liverpool for many a year when they had Toshack and Keegan up front.

Long ball up to Toshack, knock down for Keegan ...... bagss of goals.

Nonleagueherewecome

The examples of it working are all ancient history. The likes of Swansea and Norwich have worked that the opposite way is the way to level the playing field rather than hoofing it: quality players can't hurt you if they haven't got the ball. The only team doing well with long ball is Stoke, and I'd rather give up football than have to support that bunch of animals!

Otis

The problem is that long ball does not equal good results. If it did, all football managers apart from diehard purists would be doing it! If there is one thing that the fans of a club who suffered the worst long ball dross played in this division in years last season should know, it's that long ball is one-dimensional and easy to defend against. You might get away with it for maybe a dozen or so games, but thereafter teams will know exactly how to neutralise you.

Just like the diamond formation?

ICHAN

Its not just about the long ball though, it's about mixing it up and playing ugly, getting in the faces of the opposition, playing football in the opponents end of the field and not in our end.
Their are ways of doing this without just hoofing it up every time, moving the ball quicker, getting at the opposition quicker in their end, battling for the ball, getting in the ref's face a bit more and not just accepting what he say's, may not be what the team is about but I really think we have to turn a bit more like other teams to get out of this.
People are saying portsmouth are going to get points deducted but there are still games to play so they have every chance (more than us at the moment) to get those points and get back up out of the relegation zone.
We as a team need to start getting ugly and make teams not want to play us because they will know they are in for a battle.
AB instilled this although his football may have not been attractive the team had more guts than this lot have at the moment, and at least we had a chance of winning games where as at the moment a win seems like a rareity and a luxury we can ill afford.

dongonzalos

Its not just about the long ball though, it's about mixing it up and playing ugly, getting in the faces of the opposition, playing football in the opponents end of the field and not in our end.
Their are ways of doing this without just hoofing it up every time, moving the ball quicker, getting at the opposition quicker in their end, battling for the ball, getting in the ref's face a bit more and not just accepting what he say's, may not be what the team is about but I really think we have to turn a bit more like other teams to get out of this.
People are saying portsmouth are going to get points deducted but there are still games to play so they have every chance (more than us at the moment) to get those points and get back up out of the relegation zone.
We as a team need to start getting ugly and make teams not want to play us because they will know they are in for a battle.
AB instilled this although his football may have not been attractive the team had more guts than this lot have at the moment, and at least we had a chance of winning games where as at the moment a win seems like a rareity and a luxury we can ill afford.

I was agreeing with a lot of what you were saying then you reminded me about AB

Coventry City have sacked manager Aidy Boothroyd following a run of only one victory in 16 league games.

Brough it all back home. I would rather lose playing good exciting football than lose playing the way AB had us playing during those 16 games

Unfortunately with the squad getting dessimated the way SISU are taking apart only the new Martin Oneil could turn this round and I dont know who that is............

ICHAN

Was more saying about the way teams feared us than the results towards the end and my opinion on that I feel had something to do with King coming into the squad and maybe upsetting the apple cart so to speak.

wingy

Was more saying about the way teams feared us than the results towards the end and my opinion on that I feel had something to do with King coming into the squad and maybe upsetting the apple cart so to speak.
Coincided with the changes at boardroom level as well Ichan ,Aidy was aabndoned ,and that signing took a couple of months to conclude ,a massive distraction for the manager,and of course we lost Turner,who had been a revelation up to that point..

dongonzalos

I know you are right about chasing teams down and hasling them. When Norwood and Deegan did that against Leeds it allowed us to control the game. Eventually Delph went off injured. However I do think you also need the right players to do it.

ICHAN

Everything takes an age with this club wingy not just with sisu but before that, although it is worse under sisu.
Was the boardroom changes around the RR time? don't know anymore wingy something happens all the time at boardroom level it's hard to keep up.
But fully agree that he was let down and maybe King should have been got quicker but that all gone now anyway.
I just feel the team need to grow some bigger balls on the pitch and get a bit more stuck in, maybe then the opposition may start thinking twice about it, at the moment it feels/seems like every team knows what to expect a toothless display.
Right players or not dongon it only takes a few of them to start getting in the opponents face before the rest of the team join in, which as we know will get the crowd going, it is one big knock on effect but it needs to come from someone who is a battler on the field and the rest will follow naturally.

Lets look at speedie for example, little bloke but fuck me did he get stuck in, took no shit, and this had a natural effect on the crowd and teams don't like it, where as at the moment it is like a party the other week with my daughter (5 year old party) lots of running around and screaming but actually doing nothing.

Last edited:

Grendel

I was agreeing with a lot of what you were saying then you reminded me about AB

Coventry City have sacked manager Aidy Boothroyd following a run of only one victory in 16 league games.

But hey, start this season and win 2 of the first 22 and life's great. In fact with that sort of form the manager should be at West Ham ensuring their promotion.

Users who are viewing this thread