Attendances Next Season (1 Viewer)

Evo1883

Even a club like Ipswich who some of our fans would see as smaller managed 19k in League 1

Before we went up from league 2 , didn't we have no top 6 finish for something like 50 years in any league and around 3 top 10s .

Coventry are a unique club in many ways

Reactions: COV

Grendel

Ipswich have the whole Bobby Robson thing plus the league championship which is engrained into their fans, again things we don’t have. They’re really well supported for where they are based tbh, I wouldn’t class them as a small club. We’re potentially bigger but potential is very different to actually doing something.

No Ipswich and Norwich have a unique catchment area which means you are drawn to those clubs

COV

Forest spent 3 seasons

Again, look at their history, you might not like it but Nottingham Forest are a much bigger name than us, and you can’t just erase their achievements as they weren’t last year.

It takes time to get that ‘tradition’ and Forest have it, we don’t.

COV

Before we went up from league 2 , didn't we have no top 6 finish for something like 50 years in any league and around 3 top 10s .

Coventry are a unique club in many ways

You are spot on. Comparing us to teams who’ve won all sorts and have not had anything like the run of shite that we have is an interesting concept indeed.

Grendel

Again, look at their history, you might not like it but Nottingham Forest are a much bigger name than us, and you can’t just erase their achievements as they weren’t last year.

There average support over their history is almost identical

SlowerThanPlatt

Are Norwich, Southampton and Leicester traditional clubs?

Evo1883

Norwich being a yo yo club has actually helped them maintain high attendances I reckon, they know every 2 or 3 years they will win a promotion 🤣

Grendel

Ipswich is not big enough to attract 20k every week, that comes from history and tradition.

Rubbish it comes from geography

COV

Norwich being a yo yo club has actually helped them maintain high attendances I reckon, they know every 2 or 3 years they will win a promotion 🤣

Exactly- on the money again

Being a yo-yo club increases support

Evo1883

A truly well supported club , one that really backs its club despite having barely any success over the last 30 years are West ham

Grendel

Norwich and Ipswich have intense rivalry and zero competition - if you want to watch a game in Norfolk it’s kings lynn or Norwich. In the West Midlands the choices are endless

COV

Rubbish it comes from geography

Not so otherwise Burnley would have about 2,000 fans.

But their history and tradition means they kept their support and while they’re never gonna be a Man Utd, for the size of the town they have amazing support.

Grendel

Not so otherwise Burnley would have about 2,000 fans.

But their history and tradition means they kept their support and while they’re never gonna be a Man Utd, for the size of the town they have amazing support.

No it comes from a catchment area for Ipswich as you can support no one else but Colchester

Evo1883

Norwich and Ipswich have intense rivalry and zero competition - if you want to watch a game in Norfolk it’s kings lynn or Norwich. In the West Midlands the choices are endless

I mean you are correct about location but it doesnt explain them having wank support before their return back to the top flight ...which they then maintained through being basically a prem / yo yo club Screenshot_20210721-195526_Chrome.jpg

COV

No he’s right.

When you have something to fight for every single season that’s obviously going to attract people.

Aiming to come 17th every season creates apathy and mediocrity, we still haven’t shaken that yet- but it’s happening and you can see it happening eg in our brilliant away support, and that why Evo is right, our support is almost being ‘rebuilt’.

Grendel

No he’s right.

When you have something to fight for every single season that’s obviously going to attract people.

Aiming to come 17th every season creates apathy and mediocrity, we still haven’t shaken that yet- but it’s happening and you can see it happening eg in our brilliant away support, and that why Evo is right, our support is almost being ‘rebuilt’.

No you said catchment isn’t important — it’s essential for Norwich and Ipswich

COV

No it comes from a catchment area for Ipswich as you can support no one else but Colchester

The entire population of Suffolk is 300k less that that of Cov and Warwickshire, but yet Platf was pointing out they can pull in 20k no matter what?

Comes from tradition, history, pride etc. Ours was ripped to pieces but it’s coming back.

SlowerThanPlatt

No he’s right.

I disagree, our attendances as a Championship club in the bottom half will be more than if we were top of League 1.

Grendel

The entire population of Suffolk is 300k less that that of Cov and Warwickshire, but yet Platf was pointing out they can pull in 20k no matter what?

Comes from tradition, history, pride etc. Ours was ripped to pieces but it’s coming back.

Because of catchment and I’m still waiting for your explanation that we, forest, Leicester, Derby have identical average crowds virtually over history?

COV

I mean you are correct about location but it doesnt explain them having wank support before their return back to the top flight ...which they then maintained through being basically a prem / yo yo club View attachment 21090

Most clubs had a boom- Southampton went from 15k to 30k, Leicester found 10k new fans, Norwich exploded- loads of clubs experienced similar.

The Ricoh was supposed to be our ticket to the same but we fucked it all up.

Now we’re starting to see our upturn- 10k season tickets is great for now and look at the away support- we’re late to the party but give it a few years of reasonable success (and I don’t know what that means exactly) and we’ll grow.

Evo1883

Because of catchment and I’m still waiting for your explanation that we, forest, Leicester, Derby have identical average crowds virtually over history?

We actually had more than all 3 as an all time average until sisu came.

Leicester is easily explained through having phenomenal owners that have changed the clubs fortunes totally.

Derby have been in the prem and pushed for promotion a few times in the least 20 years too .

Forests attendances have grown through expectation more than anything .

Ours nosedived

Grendel

Leicester is easily explained through having phenomenal owners that have changed the clubs fortunes totally.

Derby have been in the prem and pushed for promotion a few times in the least 20 years too .

Ours nosedived

According to ROS forest increased as people remember Brian clough

COV

I disagree, our attendances as a Championship club in the bottom half will be more than if we were top of League 1.

Like I said, takes time. We have zero tradition and zero history compared to many clubs, and the clubs like us have invariably gone to the Prem so they’ve had that benefit. We’ve had nothing, zilch. Our only success has been in a trophy most of us would have laughed at at one stage, and to get us back to where we were in 2012.

COV

Ours nosedived

Exactly. You can’t look at “across history” because things have changed so much. We have had zero expectation until now and even now it’s tempered with a lot of cynicism.

Your average Cov fan is way, way, way more cynical than your average of most other clubs.

We don’t really have any “good times” to look back on compared with most clubs, definitely not recently.

Evo1883

Saying that forest haven't really had terrible crowds since 1978 so there may be some truth in what the clough era did to the club and its fanbase

ccfcchris

2, for all the great things going on at the club in the last few years, their marketing has been bloody aweful! I think there is so much more that can be done to raise interest locally.
Maybe that's something that the owners can look at going forward.

Could you elaborate on what they should be doing?

SlowerThanPlatt

Exactly. You can’t look at “across history” because things have changed so much. We have had zero expectation until now and even now it’s tempered with a lot of cynicism.

Your average Cov fan is way, way, way more cynical than your average of most other clubs.

We don’t really have any “good times” to look back on compared with most clubs, definitely not recently.

Speak for yourself, I’ve had some good times following the club recently

Users who are viewing this thread