Attendances if sisu were to leave tomorrow (1 Viewer)

stupot07

2007 - 08 season.

Average attendance before Sisu takeover

Average after

Bearing in mind that prior to Sisu taking over in that season we spent a considerable amount of time in the play offs, and won at Old Trafford. Post takeover that season we spent most of the time hovering above the relegation zone.

Other than the takeover, to what can you attribute an increase of nearly 9% in attendances?

The takeover + sacking dowie (8 points from his last 15 league games) + having 'bigger games' in the second half of season - e.g big local derbies against wolves (28k), leicester (23k), other teams with decent away followings Stoke going for promotion (20k), sheff Wednesday always bring a big away following (c20k), palace pushing for play offs (22k)

So again explain why after signings, the start of a new season, renewed optimism (we thought we were on the play off trail) were the crowds so poor at the beginning of the 2008/09 season?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Last edited:

Sky Blue Harry H

What got me hooked was my dad taking me to Highfield Road (first game Cardiff 1966 iirc) and the atmosphere, which was different to anything I'd ever experienced before. I've got a lad just turned 9 and though he's never shown a great deal of interest in football, I couldn't take him to the Ricoh at the moment -I've been waiting for an upturn in fortunes so that he might be persuaded. Looks like it will have to be an 18th birthday present at the current rate!

Gazolba

The club appear to have over 12000 NOPM participants , my point is that the level of football we play is just as much an attendance killer , but if the NOPM brigade are loyal supporters then im guessing 15k would be the minimum if sisu upped and left tommorrow and we had new owners <snip>

Unfortunately, your logic is seriously flawed. If we had the same owners, following the same policies yet we were at the top of the table, unbeaten at home and with the top two goalscorers in the division, attendances would be considerably higher.
Changing owners would make little difference, the new owners could be as bad or worse.
It's value for money on the pitch that matters.
I think a new manager would have more effect than new owners. But some fans are lost forever and wont come back no matter what.
In my opinion the biggest reasons for the low attendances are:
(1) The move to Northampton
(2) Losing our best players every season
(3) Performances on the pitch (mainly due to manager, not owners)

Last edited:

NorthernWisdom

Unfortunately, your logic is seriously flawed. If we had the same owners, following the same policies yet we were at the top of the table, unbeaten at home and with the top two goalscorers in the division, attendances would be considerably higher.

Whilst I don't disagree with your general point, of course with the management of the club as it is, it's highly unlikely our league form would end up as you wish for!

Gazolba

What got me hooked was my dad taking me to Highfield Road <snip> Looks like it will have to be an 18th birthday present at the current rate!

Or punishment for bad behaviour. "If you don't do your homework, I'll take you to see Coventry play!".

Gazolba

Football is an entertainment business nowadays and if your not being entertained then people won't buy tickets. It's that simple.
Not only that but fans need to feel they are welcome and valued, treated with respect and kept informed with the truth not lies or misinformatiion. The current situation is a public relations nightmare.

Gazolba

2007 - 08 season.

Average attendance before Sisu takeover

Average after

Bearing in mind that prior to Sisu taking over in that season we spent a considerable amount of time in the play offs, and won at Old Trafford. Post takeover that season we spent most of the time hovering above the relegation zone.

Other than the takeover, to what can you attribute an increase of nearly 9% in attendances?
Maybe they started counting non-attending season-ticket holders in the total? That's always a good way to boost attendances.

RedSalmon

Stopped going as I just found that I wasn't enjoying it and was not prepared to hand over money to SISU out of blind loyalty to CCFC. I do not see them as the same thing. Sadly one has control of the other and there is very little I can do about it.

As a consequence I have found other things to do on a Saturday, and in all honesty the thought of ever going to watch CCFC on a regular, or even semi regular, basis seems remote. I genuinely do not miss it and have found other ways to spend my money. Which is very ironic, as for the first time ever with the kids having left home, I have more dispossable cash than ever!!

letsallsingtogether

I think that it's difficult to over-estimate the damage that the move to Northampton did.

It'll take a winning team to bring the crowds back, but even then I fear that it will be a slower recovery than many hope/expect.

Now this is the way I see it.

People won't be back as quickly as some believe.

The ham has been done and people won't be as trusting as they were when sisu first arrived.

If they play well for a season get into the play offs then supporters will be back.

Stay as we are a mundane team with little passion and uncaring owners then our fate will be sealed.

PUSB

Gosford Green

The Northampton saga and the constant flow of lies coming out of the club has cost a lot of support.

If and when SISU go and the team manages to win a few and gets up near or in the the play off zone then 12,000 is a reasonable figure.

AndreasB

The club appear to have over 12000 NOPM participants , my point is that the level of football we play is just as much an attendance killer , but if the NOPM brigade are loyal supporters then im guessing 15k would be the minimum if sisu upped and left tommorrow and we had new owners , because the way some supporters go on about NOPM , they are open to alot of criticism if attendances are poor if things change
2014 2.348

WOW 12000 NOPM particpants! These brave and loyal supporters are really the salt of the earth arent they. Just imagine if they did something like actually come to a game and show their protest.

2013 10.997

2012 15.119

2011 16.310

2010 17.305

2009 17.408

2008 19.123

2007 20.342

Since sisus arrival

LB87ccfc

Think its fair to say their would be a celebration in Coventry the day the bastards go.

32,000 sell out otherwise it would be an embarrassment for all the in house fighting moaning squabbling, the i will never attend again until they have gone fans etc etc, even if people have moved on, their would be a mass celebration the first home game.

Gosford Green

Think its fair to say their would be a celebration in Coventry the day the bastards go.

32,000 sell out otherwise it would be an embarrassment for all the in house fighting moaning squabbling, the i will never attend again until they have gone fans etc etc, even if people have moved on, their would be a mass celebration the first home game.

I would take 2 leagues lower if it meant SISU gone. Then there would be hope.

Users who are viewing this thread