Attendances dropping (2 Viewers)

Limey

Little twat in my daughters class apparently saw her lunchbox last year and said "coventry are rubbish" but I had to leave the room before I gave her step by step instructions on what to do / say next time a little kid who has never been to a football match in his life gave it loads.

Yep stuff like that used to make my head explode. I also despise when a so called Liverpool fan says stuff like 'I hate Everton'. Just regurgitating bullshit they are supposed to say.

I'm now in a situation where, my kids being born in Portsmouth, am trying to encourage support for both City and Pompey as I can't now be hypocritical in belief you should support your local team. Poor sods! I have to say that kids down here are always in Pompey kits. But I don't want to open that can of worms again. Just slightly envious in a way that it wasn't the case in my school. Not sure what Coventry schools are like for that.....

Monkey Boy

Going to school in the 80's, most were Liverpool or Cov. A lot of my mates and family are Cov and/or Celtic but just don't go for varying reasons I.E have families, don't have the money or have lost interest. In comparison with us, Sunderland and Pompey have both won more trophies than us and have minimal competition locally I.E Newcastle or Soton. We have 5 or 6 teams nearby and the usual glory teams to contend with.

Greggs

Quite enjoying watching lads aged 30ish falling apart at Man United failing to dominate!

Greggs

In front of a TV, worrying about their dream team points with their own name on the back of their shirt?
Yep! We grew up with a working class game, now the kids just watching the Oil League on the 68inch Curved Plamsma. Whilst we might argue between ourselves, I think we can class ourselves as proper football fans.

shmmeee

The youngsters thing is a bit of a myth.

Any CCFC fan who lets their kid stroll in the house with a Liverpool (Insert other Premier League team here) shirt on and pretend he supports them because he sees them play on Sky needs to have a word with themselves. So much of it is down to the parents too when it comes to a kid supporting a team.

Agreed. My daughters learned the Sky Blue Song before Wheels on the Bus.

pusbccfc

I know it's the lower leagues (blah, blah, blah) but so many of these stay away fans argued for years that we've not had anything to shout about. We've been and won at Wembley twice in a year. We've been promoted and walked through a play offs in style. We even went on a decent cup run and beat a Premier League side last season.

The fact of the matter is, we have a good core set of supporters who have stuck with the club through the hardest of times, but we've also got this huge band of so called supporters who quite literally don't support the club.

Before someone moans, I'm not talking about those who have reasons to stay away, I'm talking about those who can't be arsed to support the club for no valid reason. Too many people in Coventry moan about the price of a ticket but would happy go up the pub on a Saturday and spend the ticket price on beer without even thinking.

The play off semi-final crowd last season was the most disappointing turnout I think I've ever seen from the club. First ever play offs and we barely mustered 15,000.

Ashdown

The younger generations these days want to be associated with success and glory. Many haven't got a lot of money ,neither have their parents, so won't spend it supporting lower League clubs. . We used to call them paper fans in the 80's......reading their teams results from a newspaper. Now the super rich teams are all over the TV and internet. Shallow and insecure really !

Greggs

Do we have an identity as a City anymore? With all industry practically gone, it seems Coventry has turned into a student city. Something i'm sure the club have tried to tap into, but obviously not enough!

Irish Sky Blue

I know it's the lower leagues (blah, blah, blah) but so many of these stay away fans argued for years that we've not had anything to shout about. We've been and won at Wembley twice in a year. We've been promoted and walked through a play offs in style. We even went on a decent cup run and beat a Premier League side last season.

The fact of the matter is, we have a good core set of supporters who have stuck with the club through the hardest of times, but we've also got this huge band of so called supporters who quite literally don't support the club.

Before someone moans, I'm not talking about those who have reasons to stay away, I'm talking about those who can't be arsed to support the club for no valid reason. Too many people in Coventry moan about the price of a ticket but would happy go up the pub on a Saturday and spend the ticket price on beer without even thinking.

The play off semi-final crowd last season was the most disappointing turnout I think I've ever seen from the club. First ever play offs and we barely mustered 15,000.
Wasn’t the gate 17000? There was something wrong there as against Morecambe the previous Saturday the gate was 15000 with less than 1000 Morecambe fans. The following week for the play off semi there was 2000+ Notts County fans there and obviously more home fans too. I wonder if they just did not count the walk up fans on the night for tax reasons. Either the Morecambe crowd was less than 15k or the Notts crowd was more than 17k. My son works for a football club. The one he was with last season, so he tells me, regularly played down their home crowd by a few hundred ( he was with a non league team last season) for tax reasons.

Ashdown

Wasn’t the gate 17000? There was something wrong there as against Morecambe the previous Saturday the gate was 15000 with less than 1000 Morecambe fans. The following week for the play off semi there was 2000+ Notts County fans there and obviously more home fans too. I wonder if they just did not count the walk up fans on the night for tax reasons. Either the Morecambe crowd was less than 15k or the Notts crowd was more than 17k. My son works for a football club. The one he was with last season, so he tells me, regularly played down their home crowd by a few hundred ( he was with a non league team last season) for tax reasons.
Not so easy with electronic ticket readers.

Evo1883

Time supporters stopped making excuses for the crowds , not been well supported since the 70s at home .
Away decent but the Oxford match tomorrow Sums our lot up .
On sky struggling to sell 700

GaryJones

Don’t know why we have not sold out?
Sky maybe or the fact it’s a 2nd from bottom vs 4th from bottom League 1 thriller on a Sunday.
Oh well I’m one of the 600 so here’s to the beginning of the upturn!

Users who are viewing this thread