Ashes 17/18 Thread (1 Viewer)

Ian1779

If I was Ben Duckett I'd be seething. Not only was he sent home but he's left out of the Feb Windies Lions tour. Whereas Stokes is brought straight back in. Talk about making someone a scapegoat!

The ECB way....

PS. England cricket is still in disarray, no matter what nonsense they try and spin.

chiefdave

Looks like Notts will give Nathan Lyon next summer to get used to English pitches ahead of the 2019 Ashes.

tisza

The ECB way....

PS. England cricket is still in disarray, no matter what nonsense they try and spin.
whole thing is a shambles.
from the way a season is now scheduled to the padding of sides with older foreign players.
whole focus seems to be how to make as much money from T20 as possible. Money filtering back in goes to paying the salaries of these overseas players anyway.

Nick

Administrator
I dont know much about cricket, but how come now they can hammer australia but the other week got smashed? Whats changed?

Grendel

I dont know much about cricket, but how come now they can hammer australia but the other week got smashed? Whats changed?

Priorities. Which are wrong.

ccfctommy

Test and ODI's are very different. Also, the teams are slightly different.

Also, it's sod's law.

tisza

Don't need to take 20 wickets in ODI cricket.
Can't take ODI batting approach into Test cricket which is what too many of them try to do.
Also normally play on different types of wicket - less bowler friendly.

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Woke at 5 to watch this England were 115-4 off about 24.

Fantastic effort to get to 302.

Sensational knock from Buttler who timed his innings to absolute perfection given the circumstances!
The Buttler & Woakes partnership gives England the advantage here!
Be good to see the bowling attack under pressure to defend a score!

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Watched the whole thing, incredible knock by those 2! The end of that innings was mental, going at 10 an over for the last 10

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Didn’t want the innings to end the last over summed it up Woakes hitting Starc for 4 & 6, Buttler back on strike.2 off the last ball for the ton!

If only the past 2 months had been anything like the first half of this ODI series!

SkyBlueSoul

I’m kinda glad it did end, I haven’t slept yet!

It’s definitely nice to be the ones dominating for once. Reminiscent of Morgan and Stokes putting them to the sword in the Champions Trophy last summer, that was a great day out.

Which leads to the question of how to get Stokes into a team doing this well??

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

I’m kinda glad it did end, I haven’t slept yet!

It’s definitely nice to be the ones dominating for once. Reminiscent of Morgan and Stokes putting them to the sword in the Champions Trophy last summer, that was a great day out.

Which leads to the question of how to get Stokes into a team doing this well??

I guess you’d replace Ali at the minute on wickets that don’t need 2 spinners.

I’m surprised the Aussies have played him with so much respect this series, he’s fragile get after him.

This wicket should suit the pace off unless it zips up underlights.

SkyBlueSoul

I guess you’d replace Ali at the minute on wickets that don’t need 2 spinners.

I’m surprised the Aussies have played him with so much respect this series, he’s fragile get after him.

This wicket should suit the pace off unless it zips up underlights.

It’s the old cliche of a “good headache”. It just blows my mind that we could have a team where someone like Stokes could be coming in at 7 if you do a straight swap for Moeen....followed by Woakes! I can’t think of any of the top 6 I’d move down to accommodate him atm.

Agree with you about them getting after Mo, it’s amazing how much difference a change in format makes!

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

I do think in all forms England need to have a pool of at least 16 players they can call on and that they know can pay at this level.
Ie this ODI squad I’ll take Billings and Ball for example (personally I don’t think either are international standard) but if England deem them to be next in line with bat and ball they’ve got to get game time when is difficult but it’s the same with bowlers in test cricket Anderson and Broad are both in the twilights of their careers yet we have no idea who could replace them, I think Curran & Overton mayhave something about them , TRJ did really well in the summer but he’s 29/30. England need to take the hit to give the fringe players a go in all forms imo.

England win this and go 3-0 I’m sure bar injury they’ll stick with the same 11, id like to see the others in the squad given a game or 2.

Terry Gibson's perm

I do think in all forms England need to have a pool of at least 16 players they can call on and that they know can pay at this level.
Ie this ODI squad I’ll take Billings and Ball for example (personally I don’t think either are international standard) but if England deem them to be next in line with bat and ball they’ve got to get game time when is difficult but it’s the same with bowlers in test cricket Anderson and Broad are both in the twilights of their careers yet we have no idea who could replace them, I think Curran & Overton mayhave something about them , TRJ did really well in the summer but he’s 29/30. England need to take the hit to give the fringe players a go in all forms imo.

England win this and go 3-0 I’m sure bar injury they’ll stick with the same 11, id like to see the others in the squad given a game or 2.

If he can get fit and stay fit then Wood will come in for broad or Anderson in time, I think Anderson will play this year and next then he’s done, Broad about the same although I think he is done now.

They will still have woakes and maybe stokes, I’m not sure what’s coming through but I guess most of the bowlers are the same 80-90 mph max

Otis

Fantastic win a 5-0 ODI whitewash would be nice, but would only cover the Ashes embarrassment.
Maybe they should all get off the plane twice when they arrive back at Heathrow.

They get off the plane to boos as the test team, then get back on the plane and get back off again, this time for cheers for the one day victories.

The waiting crowds could be equipped with both wavy flags and rotten tomatoes.

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Maybe they should all get off the plane twice when they arrive back at Heathrow.

They get off the plane to boos as the test team, then get back on the plane and get back off again, this time for cheers for the one day victories.

The waiting crowds could be equipped with both wavy flags and rotten tomatoes.

Haha to be fair only Bairstow, Root, Woakes and Ali remain in the starting 11 from the tests!

I know they’re preparing/building for the 2019 World Cup over here but it’d be interesting to see how this side would do in the sub continent.

SkyBlueSoul

After 7 weeks of waking up to batting collapses and inevitable defeats, it’s so nice to be able to go to sleep after an England innings knowing we’ll probably have beaten the Aussies when I resurface!

Covstu

Great performances but you do have to look at the Aussies and probably 7 of those won’t play in the World Cup.

oucho

On the theme of cricket, I was watching some highlights from Eng v NZ at Old Trafford in 1994, trying to figure out who these three are!

upload_2018-1-22_19-58-7.png upload_2018-1-22_19-59-17.png

I know we had a shotgun election policy at that time but I would have expected to recognise at least one of them!

I think the one on the right is Peter Such(??). On the left is Steve Rhodes, possibly. The little guy in the middle, I literally have no idea! Richard Stemp maybe....or Paul Taylor???

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Decided to google the scorecard I’d say Such on the right as we look at it and it must be Craig White (with hair on the left) but doesn’t look like him facially....or is it Robin Smith minus the tache?

chiefdave

And now Stokes has pulled out of the side. Don't think this whole thing could have been handled any worse.

Users who are viewing this thread