Are the fans of this club the part of the problem? (1 Viewer)

CUS Wyken

What makes me laugh is... All these fans slating us for protesting yet themselves offer no alternative. Least we're making a stand..

What are the others doing??? Nothing

If your gonna slag us off at Least give us a alternative option... Unless of course you just want to see the club ran to the ground because that's will happen under the Current ownership

Changeyourface

What makes me laugh is... All these fans slating us for protesting yet themselves offer no alternative. Least we're making a stand..

If your gonna slag us off at Least give us a alternative option... Unless of course you just want to see the club ran to the ground because that's will happen under the Current ownership

I'm not slagging people for protesting, would have been there myself if I wasn't banned but the manner of the protest sounds pathetic.

cloughie

I don't get it,i really don't. I'm not looking for an argument my point is for me the protest was there for SISU to get an earful to think for one minute hold on these guys and girls are not going to be taken for mugs they mean business, instead it turned into jump to the front of the cue i wan't to be in the telegraph Monday morning. At times i questioned if half the people really new why they were there, stopping for a quick natter with Geoff Foster or a bit of memorabilia a picture with Graeme Hawley all seemed a bit soft, that said the news is that the next campaign is too fill the away and at Reading as a part of the back or club campaign then count me in.

I know what you mean but it has to start somewhere and have t agree with the Rev, I think fans need a kick kick up the backside big style

Changeyourface

That's the problem nothing can be done without the numbers, if there was a decent sized protest I'd say march into the main reception bit where all the offices are and refuse to leave. That way all the board members and corporates wouldn't be able to get back to their jag's after the game.

A-ga doo! Haha brilliant, the support of this club can be cringeworthy sometimes, we're turning into a right boring family club. The only thing that could make it worse is if the few protesters stationed themselves either side of the statue and started that pantomine "We're the right side over here" chant

Well i'm glad i'm not the only one then -

First of all I agree with the protest , but I'd like to say I totally disagree with the manner it was conducted - I read this forum for weeks umming and arrmming wether or not to go with my mates - all I was reading about it was "oh we've spoke to the stewards" "there'll be no foul language" "we'll police it ourselves" "it's about doing it properly" "we've got set times"

and I was thinking "for fucks' sake , what is it going to be , some kind of politically correct "were sensitive to your response" protest.

I'd like to have seen absolute chaos outside the club shop ,

You want media attention - go fucking ballistic.

That's just my opinion ,

Cobi Jones's Dreads

There is an alternative option, as i stated above lets fill the away end at Reading and back the club simples......

There is an alternative option, as i stated above lets fill the away end at Reading and back the club simples......

That's a route i'd love the support to go down , Abandon home games and a sole focus on away games , no money to SISU and a fantastic time for the Sky Blue Army with the biggest away following in the championship

Changeyourface

Exactly. People don't seem to realise that you don't make headlines by being nice and polite. Having a fifteen minute Church group sing along around a statue was never going to work. And I like the away game idea as I only go to them anyway, but can't see it happening as there's too many apathetic, boring main stand style supporters that we attract nowdays.

ICHAN

I said about the fans on a thread recently about maybe the last 5/10 years have taken it's toll more than we know.

Years of nothing, beaten into submission by what has happened to the club since relegation the fight and the passion has gone, someone said earlier in the thread about no younger fans involved well unfortunatly these fans know no differant it is not their fault they do not have the premiership days to compare to and so they have no voice so to speak.
Years ago in the west end etc the fans were the voice of the club the ground was tighter and so more noise and passion could get around the ground quicker and hostility could be felt as well as atmosphere now everyone is so spread apart that is harder to produce.
In essence the togetherness has been ripped apart and the heart and soul of the fans has been beaten into submission by the last 10 years of what has happened on and off the pitch.

If this was happening say 15 years ago sisu would be feeling a differant fans reaction to what they are doing to the club of that I am sure.

Covstu

I have a certain amount of sympathy for the protesters but again could not work out the purpose of going into the ground and therefore paying full price and giving money to the evil SISU in the process! I went to the game, had a quick look at the prtest turned around and went into the ground, really enjoyed easy access to the bar and a great goal. I think we played really well for the first 15mins!!

I am not SISU's biggest fan but i am a realist, they have no money and are not willing to give up the club for free, do you blame them??? Personally i dont for this!

Delboycov

What's absolutely amazed me over this is the lack of passion and fight in the majority of fans...is it because of the years of struggle or is it just because a lot of people really aren't that bothered? Are they just gonna roll over and let us carry on dying a slow death?

My own view is that most fans really haven't got a clue...they go to the games to get away from their wives...to have a few pints with their mates and don't have any idea what's happening. I would say that for the majority on here it's much more than that-we eat,drink,sleep CCFC...we buy the CT for the back page...endure Alan's ramblings on CWR on a Friday and come on here every day for the slightest hint of good news. I would say that the lack of passion in the fans is as much down to ignorance about what's going on as it is down to apathy.

Covstu

All because fans choose not to stand outside next to the statue for a singalong does nto mean that they are not passionate about all things CCFC. I choose not to protest because it will do nothing and achieve nothing however i can see why other people feel the need. There is no other option until someone else comes to the table and so far apart from one piss porr bid this has not happened.

The fans that you speak of getting away from their wives are simply just not coming up to the ricoh anymore, i can name about 10 that io know who choose to stay away.

torchomatic

In contrast to fans apparently shouting at the boycotters, the bloke next to me had something else interesting to say. He reckons that on the way in. Two blokes - with City scarves - asked him where the Jimmy Hill statue was as they were there for the protest.

Personally, when I walked past everyone seemed in good humour and those who were walking past obviously going in were shouting "good luck", etc.

Puck

the bloke next to me had something else interesting to say. He reckons that on the way in. Two blokes - with City scarves - asked him where the Jimmy Hill statue was as they were there for the protest.

There are a lot of City fans who no longer go up, for various reasons but none the less follow the fortunes of the club.

I stated 3 years ago that I wouldn't be turning up for a "match day experience" at the Ricoh and was derided for it.

I've been up there 9 times since but been to 24 away games since.

The problem lies deeper than just SISU.

Nonleagueherewecome

You presume the moral high ground and with respect such attitude invokes resentment to those who do not share your view - such as you experienced yesterday.

You demand SISU out yet offer no credible alternative. The protestors cite Hoffman as a saviour, yet we know nothing of the bid (if there is one at all).

In the absence of a credible and real alternative, many fans prefer to stick with SISU than see the club go into administration.

We are just as committed to our club as you. We are not 2nd class fans. we are just as entitled to our opinions and views as you are - we just do not ram ours down your throats with protests. We will not be made to feel in some way "unfaithful" to our club just because we do not share your views. I too sensed yesterday many fans running out of patience with the protests - and I was sat with the 8,000 or so in the ground not the 100 or so outside.

Well there is a hell of a lot more evidence of someone assuming the moral high ground in your post than there is in ccfcdan's one! That attracts resentment from me, towards you and your views. Not for the first time!

1) "No credible alternative..cite Hoffman as a saviour": that's slightly contradicting and very patronising. We know that there was a bid, but it was scuppered by KD. Hoffman not being credible is your opinion, not a fact. I think he is credible, and many agree.
2) "Many fans prefer to stick with SISU than see the club go into administration". Blimey, where do I start with this doozy?!? Most fans wouldn't prefer SISU to administration; many would take the hit to get rid of them. And it's an irrelevant argument; most of the supposed "debt" is to SISU through loans. The one's who lose most through administration are SISU, who would get less from that route than they would from accepting a bid of, say, £1 up front then 10-15% of the loan figure in installments over the next few years. So they won't put is into administration. If they did, then we'd be much more attractive to more potential owners who could "start again" to some extent. And with SISU's "strategy" all but guaranteeing relegation, the loss of income and financial damage will be so great that it will threaten the clubs very existence. That's worse than administration...
3) "We just do not ram (our views) down your throats with protests". Erm...the protests were voicing a viewpoint. Protesting is an inalienable human right; without protests, Libya would still be a Dictatorship. You seem to be taking a very autocratic standpoint that few bar our owners, Middle Ages monarchs, and Dictatorial leaders would agree with! But the bit I really take issue with is "ramming views down throats"; the protests were deliberately family-friendly. If anything, they were too gentile. They in no way merited the intolerant response that ccfcdan posted about.
4) "We are just as entitled to our views as you are". Gross hypocrisy! So you can have your view, but we're "ramming them down peoples throats" by expressing ours in a peaceful and civilized manner?!?
5) "We will not be made to feel unfaithful to our club". Nobody said that you had to. I understand that some don't want to protest and they'd rather get behind the lads than boycott. Most protesters agree with me. Bit paranoid there, fella-guilty conscience, perhaps?
6) "I too sensed yesterday many fans running out of patience with the protests". Wow, psychic too? Well, better crush us with bullets and tanks, eh?

You win my "Post of the Year" award, BTW. Utter bleedin genius.

Last edited:

Nonleagueherewecome

Fantastic points made above by Wyken, Delboy and The Rev, may I just add. I entirely agree with all that you say!

Grendel

Well there is a hell of a lot more evidence of someone assuming the moral high ground in your post than there is in ccfcdan's one! That attracts resentment from me, towards you and your views. Not for the first time!

1) "No credible alternative..cite Hoffman as a saviour": that's slightly contradicting and very patronising. We know that there was a bid, but it was scuppered by KD. Hoffman not being credible is your opinion, not a fact. I think he is credible, and many agree.
2) "Many fans prefer to stick with SISU than see the club go into administration". Blimey, where do I start with this doozy?!? Most fans wouldn't prefer SISU to administration; many would take the hit to get rid of them. And it's an irrelevant argument; most of the supposed "debt" is to SISU through loans. The one's who lose most through administration are SISU, who would get less from that route than they would from accepting a bid of, say, £1 up front then 10-15% of the loan figure in installments over the next few years. So they won't put is into administration. If they did, then we'd be much more attractive to more potential owners who could "start again" to some extent. And with SISU's "strategy" all but guaranteeing relegation, the loss of income and financial damage will be so great that it will threaten the clubs very existence. That's worse than administration...
3) "We just do not ram (our views) down your throats with protests". Erm...the protests were voicing a viewpoint. Protesting is an inalienable human right; without protests, Libya would still be a Dictatorship. You seem to be taking a very autocratic standpoint that few bar our owners, Middle Ages monarchs, and Dictatorial leaders would agree with! But the bit I really take issue with is "ramming views down throats"; the protests were deliberately family-friendly. If anything, they were too gentile. They in no way merited the intolerant response that ccfcdan posted about.
4) "We are just as entitled to our views as you are". Gross hypocrisy! So you can have your view, but we're "ramming them down peoples throats" by expressing ours in a peaceful and civilized manner?!?
5) "We will not be made to feel unfaithful to our club". Nobody said that you had to. I understand that some don't want to protest and they'd rather get behind the lads than boycott. Most protesters agree with me. Bit paranoid there, fella-guilty conscience, perhaps?
6) "I too sensed yesterday many fans running out of patience with the protests". Wow, psychic too? Well, better crush us with bullets and tanks, eh?

You win my "Post of the Year" award, BTW. Utter bleedin genius.

I actually agree with you on this. I find TIMS post a rather bizarre one. I am rather sceptical of the proposed Hoffman bid simply because there seems a lot of talk and very little action. This leads me to conclude there is less substance here than some give credence to. Whatever, the thrust of the post suggest that the majority would prefer SISU to administration.

I really dispute that. I think administration ultimately is likely but not till next season. Even so this gives an opportunity of a fresh beginning. We are a large city with an Olympic stadium. Administrators will find someone in the required 12 months to take the club on. The club needs a chairman who can make decisions and has a vested interest in the club as a footballing entity. It needs to again be a Private Limited Company with local shareholders so there is some local community feel and accountability. Above all it needs to be rid of SISU.

J

Jack Griffin

and I was thinking "for fucks' sake , what is it going to be , some kind of politically correct "were sensitive to your response" protest.

That's just my opinion ,

That Ghandi fellow didn't have a clue did he.

torchomatic

I'd like to see everyone hold hands and sing "We Shall Overcome". It ain't gonna happen though.

That's just my opinion ,

ccfc1973

i think the main problem was a split between protesting againsnt sisu and supporting the players on the pitch perhaps a sit or protest in after the game would have worked out better
but the main problem with us city fans (me included , as a fan since 1978) is we have been ground down over the years with a total lack of anything to cheer about (bar 87) we are the least sucessful club of all 92 in the last 25 years FACT
who was the last player we had who honestly put you on the edge of your seat week in week out?
we are not a glass half empty bunch of fans we are fans without a glass! we are the original pessimists because we have been let down so many times and i think we are at the point where we sometimes hope for the worst so we can have a good moan!
a whole generation of city fans have grown up watching total rubbish and have not passed on their passion to their children.
We need investment in the squad , a manager who can drag us into the play offs and a total change of the aoura surrounding our beloved club :(

mattylad

Protest

I was involved in the last save our city campaign before SISU took over and the lack of support for these things is of no suprise.

I was going to go up and join the protestors right until I heard that people were going to attend the game after 15 minutes. That doomed it to failure and diluted the message that a total boycott would have made.

The Reverend Skyblue

My feelings, once SISU have gone and disappeared

To get my regular football fix here in France i go to my local club, (1/2 hour drive), Niort. When i first came they were a Premier side and i got to see some famous clubs come to there little ground,amongst PSG Marseille and Bordeaux and the place really rocked,you could sometimes feel the stands move.
After the first season the club fell apart and it fell through the leagues , and ended up in a regional league,something akin to the Conference North/South. I always felt it was the bad luck I carry round, being a Cov supporter, and it was my fault, but not once did the support drop off and every game was a theatre of noise.
There ground holds a max of 12000 but every home game the place rocks,with the young ones singing non stop and waving flags,and the older ones clapping and shouting Chamios, the clubs name that the older ones call it. Sometimes i only went for the atmosphere, as the football was dire as relegation followed relegation, but the fans never once gave up on them. They have a designated fan to start the chants and create new one's for them to sing,and its his job to keep the fans singing and waving flags on match day, you will always get the people who don't want to , but respect them as well, as fellow fans
Why do i tell you this, well it's what i would love the fans of the skyblues to do, sing all game, or if not just clap constantly shouting something ,as long as its encouragement, because it really helps and people will go just for the atmosphere, and being part of the vocal army.
A 20,0000 crowd at the Ricoh, constantly singing and clapping will create a fantastic atmosphere,one of the best in the Championship, and that will make people come back time and time again. When I've been there and we've just scored the Ricoh creates a fantastic noise, but soon after it stops, and silence returns.
I look at Stoke and the atmosphere they create ,just by clapping and a shouting a few simple chants and its like they give the team added energy, and drives them on, surely we could do this. Make the fans want to come back for more, and they will bring friends/family with them, who will be the supporters for the future, plus this will create the spirit that would only help the players,or youngsters, fight for the shirt on the pitch.
I'll end by saying the team I watch here,Niort, are now on there way back up and currently are top of the third division called the National league by 3 points, and last Friday knocked out at Premier team out of the cup, so there is hope for all the teams out there.

The Rev

Last edited:

davebart

Funnily enough I was in Niort when the 2006 world cup was on and it was the Portugal fans who were by far the most passionate.

The Reverend Skyblue

I have looked into the grounds capacity and to my shock it is 8500, which i can't believe.The noise these 8000 people make is really amazing, the ground as i said shakes ,so could you imagine what 20-25000 at the Ricoh could make.
La Lucha the tickets are incredibly cheap, usually 5 euros for a seat ,but i have paid 8 euros when they were in the higher divisions.This just brings hordes of youngsters to the game as it's so affordable. I will miss going,though i have a Chamois Niort scarf, i'm not to bothered if they win or lose, but i am gagging to get back into the matchdays watching Cov,my true love.
Davebart there is a very sizable Portuguese community in and around Niort,they have there own football league,also there is a big Dutch community nearer me
I can't sell my house and until i do I can't come home.Do any of you know someone who wants to buy a house in France do you ??

The Rev

Last edited:
I think this goes to show what cheap tickets can do for a club. It might be worth dropping the ticket prices to get more people through the gate.

Tankie

Don't lets forget, that the people who protested against Sisu's appalling performance over the years that they have had control of our club are doing it because they care about the Club, and are loyal, and steadfast fans, who insist that their feelings about how the cub has been mismanaged is bought to the public eye, I salute this Handful of fans with all my heart and soul.
In sharp contrast, there are people, who it would appear to be satisfied with the grave situation that the club finds itself in, and simply cant be asked, "Do what! "protest" Naaah cant be Bothered, waste O Time init, to not be afraid to voice an opinion is a noble act, from Fans who love the Sky Blues, those who sneer, are to be pitied, they have probably have never held, a worthwhile opinion in their whole life, Apathy is what sisu are feeding on, they will love to hear, that there is oposition to the protest, lets see these.
people feel next season when we are in Div one
"maybe they won't care about that either"

i heard one fan walking past shout sisu pay the wages, er no they dont, they admitted along time ago that money had to come from the club so wages are being paid by gambling on next years season ticket sales, transfer fees, gambling on selling more players in jan, as for the 9k crowd, a clear up yours from fisher and co to say it didnt work, 9k my arse

J

Jack Griffin

i heard one fan walking past shout sisu pay the wages, er no they dont, they admitted along time ago that money had to come from the club so wages are being paid by gambling on next years season ticket sales, transfer fees, gambling on selling more players in jan, as for the 9k crowd, a clear up yours from fisher and co to say it didnt work, 9k my arse

Well isn't that the way all clubs at this level have to operate if they have any sense? A transfer market surplus has always been needed to cover the shortfall in ticket/TV & other income.

The trouble is for a long time the owners (before & including SISU) have consistently spent more than has been coming in from all sources, resulting in the terrible state the club is in at the moment.

PS I don't think there is a loan on NEXT years season ticket sales, I thought that at one point but I believe a loan was only taken out in the summer against THIS years sales and it has now been paid off.

Last edited by a moderator:

ccfcway

Why do i tell you this, well it's what i would love the fans of the skyblues to do, sing all game, or if not just clap constantly shouting something ,as long as its encouragement, because it really helps and people will go just for the atmosphere, and being part of the vocal army.

The Rev

Great story Rev,

The fans do this, its called away matches

For the life on me I will never understand why home fans sit there and do nothing

Sisu-infidels

I understand and appreciate we all have differing opinions on our club I also appreciate that we all want a winning team properly backed by sensible honest owners but it is not right for any individual to knock the efforts of the protest.

I am one of those who attended sats protest and I do so because I'd rather do something than nothing,I support the team and at every week and I did go into the ground at 3:15,although I was reluctant to give sisu anymore money I wanted to do my bit for the lads on the pitch!

IMO the protest gave us fans a chance to show sisu that we love our club and were devastated in the way it's been ran! 15 mins is not a lot to ask and the higher turnout the more notice and publicity it would have gained. I hope when the next demonstration or protest is arranged that does not directly affect in anyway the ability to attend the match more people decide to make the effort!

I will be there next season be it championship or league1 and wether sisu are still in charge or not because I support the team,in the meantime I am happy to support any anti sisu movement. Inaction is not an option!

I wonder how many of the stay always who refuse to go to league matches with sisu in charge were at the protest Saturday? Very few I assume!

The fans at this club struggle to make any noise when we score a goal let alone stand in the cold shouting anti sisu chants..... Are we really surprised? Quick enough to slate a player for not dong his job right on the pitch not so quick to slate a board doing a poor job off the pitch.

Users who are viewing this thread