Anyone need a bit of Tiling doing? (1 Viewer)

Sky Blue Harry H

Can you imagine any current top flight players who played as long as Telfer having to work for real again? Although to be fair, some may get bored doing nowt for 30 years post 'retirement'

RegTheDonk

Surprised he's not working as a pro on the local golf course.

Good luck to him. Glad to see he's maintaining "a strong work ethic".

Skyblueweeman

Is that really him? Wow...didn't recognise him.

But do you know what...fair bloody play to him for going out, getting a trade and doing something in his 'retirement'. I would've thought he would've been on decent-ish money at Cov, Soton and Celtic so it's often surprising as I think you just automatically assume that professional footballers of any era, would be set for life (if they've played top flight for as long as he did).

no_loyalty

Changing the subject slightly, Billy Kee (ex Accrington striker who retired due to depression) is now working on a building site.

fernandopartridge

He would have been on decent money by the normal person's standards for his football career, but possibly not enough to retire comfortably on.

He was a hard working model pro as a footballer I believe, so perhaps that ethic just carries on for him.

cc84cov

Telfer having to work for a living ? Surely Strachen can get him with him like he did most his career ?
🤦🏻‍♂️🤣

Hadji's_Goatee

Isn't Erik Black an apprentice joiner now. Works for/with his son?

Think he was talking about it on the SBE podcast – crazy ain't it.

cc84cov

Isn't Erik Black an apprentice joiner now. Works for/with his son?

Think he was talking about it on the SBE podcast – crazy ain't it.
Yeah I spoke to him in la coppola Italian in Leamington about a year ago he said he’s working with his son and wouldn’t ever go back into the game was glad to be out of it

skybluesam66

so 10 years before he was playing, a player of his standard would earn around £50k per year
At the time he was around, Mcallister was on around £1m a year

at a guess, Telf would have been on around £150-£200k
So a decent wedge, but not enough to last him 60 years

Happy_Martian

Wasn’t it Telfer who allegedly didn’t even like football that much and just saw it as his best career? I may have made that up entirely.

That's what I had heard too. He much preferred his golfing to football. But everyone needs to pay the bills somehow.

shmmeee

That's what I had heard too. He much preferred his golfing to football. But everyone needs to pay the bills somehow.

Must be like when I met someone who was an artist for a video game company. I was star struck and wanted to know what it was like working in my dream field.

“I fucking hate it” he said “All I do is draw spaceships all day and I fucking hate spaceships” 😂

skybluetony176

I wonder if Hucks has been trying to pinch his work behind his back.

Seriously though, good luck to him. Tough job for an ex pro footballer to do. Floor tiling fucks your knees up big time if you do it for a number of years and anyone I know who played competitive football for as long as him have dodgy knees.

Skyblueweeman

He was a great striker, 1 in 3 I think.

I hope he is in a better place mentally now

Yeah I read a report on the BBC website yesterday about it. Seems he is definitely better now and hasn't had dark thoughts for a few months.

He's back playing non-league though which I did wonder if that would piss off ASFC as they terminated his contract but he's now playing again, albeit at a lower level.

oscillatewildly

(Sir) Tom Finney - Still generally regarded as being one of the true greats of the game - Went back to plumbing when he finished playing.

D

Deleted member 4439

I see Billy Kee's mother had a breakdown at a similar age, so there's every chance it's genetic, and something he will have to manage over his lifetime.

Interesting to know of Eric Black's situation, it's an insight into the realities of working in such a results-driven and pressurised role.

Users who are viewing this thread