Anyone fearing a realistic bid for McNulty? (1 Viewer)

Grendel

or just enable us to buy someone better ?

define stupid money for the 10th top scorer in league two ? 100k ?

He’d have scored over 20 for Luton the way they play you clueless clown.

mark82

not sure why people are worried about the 10th top scorer in league two. if he goes we have the money to buy one of the top 9 :)

This is the problem when you just look at a stat in isolation. If you took top scorers from start of December I suspect he'd be much higher. One of the form players in the league at the moment, just had a slow start.

ccfcway

This is the problem when you just look at a stat in isolation. If you took top scorers from start of December I suspect he'd be much higher. One of the form players in the league at the moment, just had a slow start.

in which case I wouldn't worry, clubs will be after Billy Kee

Fair play, he's up there now with James Collins, but a lot less assists

Mucca Mad Boys

I know I was a pro sell Willis to get reinvest in the side man but I'm more 50/50 on that now.

Willis has grown a lot in December and put some big performances in now, tho I could still be tempted for a much bigger fee now with Rod Mcdonald twiddling his thumbs waiting to return. Would depend on who MR has lined up to pull the trigger on and get in to benefit the side.

It's far tricker to call now as he's become a pivotal figure.

I think the key with McNulty is his relationship with MR, plus he's the first name on the team sheet here.

Selling Willis is one of the dumbest things this club could do. There's a reason he's a mainstay ahead of both McDonald and Davies. A player who will perform for us in L1 too, whereas we don't know that about the aforementioned. This is in a defence that is by quite some distance, the best defence in the league (we've conceded 7 less goals than Luton and Lincoln). Plus, we've got a striker who can score goals, and any striker we'd likely bring in would is probably someone we can already afford. I don't think we need to sell anyone so we shouldn't then go sell our best defender.

steve82

Selling Willis is one of the dumbest things this club could do. There's a reason he's a mainstay ahead of both McDonald and Davies. A player who will perform for us in L1 too, whereas we don't know that about the aforementioned. This is in a defence that is by quite some distance, the best defence in the league (we've conceded 7 less goals than Luton and Lincoln). Plus, we've got a striker who can score goals, and any striker we'd likely bring in would is probably someone we can already afford. I don't think we need to sell anyone so we shouldn't then go sell our best defender.

Personally I'd rather not sell anyone... however it was MR who was suggesting some wheeling and dealing may need to be done in January a good few weeks back and then some would need to leave before any arrive. Willis was a possible saleable asset..

At that point the thread was about we had very few players shining enough to warrant a good bid. Willis was one doing ok and we have plenty of back up in that area so could of been disposable for a handsome fee to get suitable replacements for JJ or attacking midfielders or what ever MR desired he needed to see us over the line.

Since then Willis has really come on another 10% and upped his game massively. Robins has brought in two exciting loan players and covered some bases with them signings.

If it come to a needs must to strengthen then being a L2 club we'd have to listen to offers and the flip side is players could be tempted by the prospect of any bidding club.

Astute

There are two players we must keep. The rest are replaceable. They are McNulty and Doyle. We are a selling club in a selling division. It would be nice to keep Willis. But if his sale brought in a goalscorer we would get promotion. And what is to say that if we turn down an offer now that he isn't then sold at the end of the season?

To me the most important thing is strengthening where we all know it is needed. McNulty needs help with the goals. He needs a goalscorer to set up. We need to kill games off before the stupid mistakes cost us points.

Bristol sky blue

There are two players we must keep. The rest are replaceable. They are McNulty and Doyle. We are a selling club in a selling division. It would be nice to keep Willis. But if his sale brought in a goalscorer we would get promotion. And what is to say that if we turn down an offer now that he isn't then sold at the end of the season?

To me the most important thing is strengthening where we all know it is needed. McNulty needs help with the goals. He needs a goalscorer to set up. We need to kill games off before the stupid mistakes cost us points.

Exactly as I see it, Astute.
Don't want Willis to go, but if McNulty gets injured then our promotion bid stops there. Another striker who can chip in with goals, even if not as regular as him, makes all the difference.

Astute

Exactly as I see it, Astute.
Don't want Willis to go, but if McNulty gets injured then our promotion bid stops there. Another striker who can chip in with goals, even if not as regular as him, makes all the difference.
We also don't get outplayed. Most defeats are by 1 goal. A goal can mean a point. And a 2 point difference on a game drawn to a win. If we had that goalscorer with McNulty all season we would be up there with Luton. Even if our other players could chip in a bit more.

ccfcway

We should keep Willis. If (and its a big IF), we went up, Willis can easily play in League One. There aren't too many of our squad we can say that about

Gosford Green

I see the valid point you make, MK Dons for instance my look at the job he's done here.

Nah he's got sky blue blood, lightning don't strike twice surely at this time of year!!

It's only a few weeks away from the last time he departed.

He went last time because of the gathering storm of Sixfields.

Anyone got an update on where we are playing come August?

Captain Dart

In general I agree but I would also point out the defence of Grimmer, Willis, McDonald/Davies, Stokes is very settled and effective, a major disruption could cost the club.

SkyBlueCRJ

We should keep Willis. If (and its a big IF), we went up, Willis can easily play in League One. There aren't too many of our squad we can say that about

This is the issue of a club that functions season to season. There's no long term plan in place. Hence why we're dropping down the football league like a stone.

covcity4life

Personally I'd rather not sell anyone... however it was MR who was suggesting some wheeling and dealing may need to be done in January a good few weeks back and then some would need to leave before any arrive. Willis was a possible saleable asset..

At that point the thread was about we had very few players shining enough to warrant a good bid. Willis was one doing ok and we have plenty of back up in that area so could of been disposable for a handsome fee to get suitable replacements for JJ or attacking midfielders or what ever MR desired he needed to see us over the line.

Since then Willis has really come on another 10% and upped his game massively. Robins has brought in two exciting loan players and covered some bases with them signings.

If it come to a needs must to strengthen then being a L2 club we'd have to listen to offers and the flip side is players could be tempted by the prospect of any bidding club.
willis has always been good. you just didnt wanna admit it back then as you only like big lumps in defence.

hows aaron martin doing? northampton won 2 out of 2 with turnbull.....

giphy.gif

steve82

willis has always been good. you just didnt wanna admit it back then as you only like big lumps in defence.

hows aaron martin doing? northampton won 2 out of 2 with turnbull.....

giphy.gif

He's been mostly good and reliable this season yes but I think it's fair to say Willis had made some errors this season when ball watching or being all to easily outmuscled for a man of his strength and athleticism or losing his man at vital moments, so he's been far from excellent as you keep saying.

He's without doubt playing the best football of his career in the last 6 weeks or and I'd be the first to admit that and give him the credit he's due and I have too.

I do like a lump in defence yes, someone who just does the basics comes and headers and blocks everything and fair to say I've championed Tom Davies inclusion in the side.
I think it's also fair to say my case has been backed up with the performances of Davies too. I also like a ball playing defender to accompany a non nonsense lump too to balance and compliment each other.

Not sure what Arron Martin or Jordan Turnbull have to do with this so I'll let you cast again at your leisure in hope of making a valid worthy point.

Mucca Mad Boys

He’s been a mainstay in the best defence in the league. I think there are plenty of Davies’ and McDonald’s out there, but can you easily replace someone with Willis’ athletic ability? I don’t think so.

It obviously goes without saying that every player has a price. But is worth possibly getting rid of best defender at this stage, without any guarantees is a ludicrous suggestion.

Since we’ve got McNulty, we’ve got a ‘goal scorer’, so we’d be trading Willis for, at best, a striker who scores 10-15 goals in a season. In a division where the team with the best defence is basically guaranteed a top 3 finish.

Esoterica

He’s been a mainstay in the best defence in the league. I think there are plenty of Davies’ and McDonald’s out there, but can you easily replace someone with Willis’ athletic ability? I don’t think so.

It obviously goes without saying that every player has a price. But is worth possibly getting rid of best defender at this stage, without any guarantees is a ludicrous suggestion.

Since we’ve got McNulty, we’ve got a ‘goal scorer’, so we’d be trading Willis for, at best, a striker who scores 10-15 goals in a season. In a division where the team with the best defence is basically guaranteed a top 3 finish.
I wish we'd play 15 yards higher up the pitch so we actually use Willis' strengths more often. We'd invite a lot less pressure on ourselves, bring more players into our attacks and I think we'd win games more comfortably if we did. We rarely have periods of sustained pressure with the way we set up.

Legia Sky Blue

Without Willis, McDonald's lack of pace is far more likely to be exposed. We are fortunate to have some decent centre backs at the club who link well together, but losing Willis would have a more detrimental effect on the defence as a whole than any one of Davies, McDonald or Hyam.

RegTheDonk

or just enable us to buy someone better ?

define stupid money for the 10th top scorer in league two ? 100k ?
Stupid money, OK I'll say £400K.
Laughable probably, but at the moment he's doing the biz, he's on form, so I'd say at least the £400K we'd miss out in TV rights stopping in this league.
Consider not only that plus the other potential loss of revenue should we miss out on promotion, but what you would lose in terms of cashing in cheaply and pissing off the fans and giving them another excuse not to turn up... if gates next year are down by a thousand, lets round it up to 20 games at £20, you've lost around £400k anyway.
Personally, I hope some cash can be found to invest in someone to play with him, rather than replace him.

Adge

Mmm not sure about that. Willis didn’t make a great fist of it last season in L1.

Sky Blue Pete

I wish we'd play 15 yards higher up the pitch so we actually use Willis' strengths more often. We'd invite a lot less pressure on ourselves, bring more players into our attacks and I think we'd win games more comfortably if we did. We rarely have periods of sustained pressure with the way we set up.
You should write to robins

Captain Dart

Here are his goals for your viewing pleasure.
PS You can see the pitch get less and less green as the video runs towards its end.

Adge

Who’s the girl at the back left in the green coat?

luwalla

the only players likley to go are Ben Stevenson & MAYBE rod McDonald. Apparently really highly thought of in higher leagues ( and I did like Stevenson last season ) but Ben seemingly doesn’t fit MR plans , so no loss to the team as it is, and although rod was possibly the player of the season before Xmas, he has struggled to get back in the side with our current squad.
Big losses for me would be Willis ( no nonsense old school centre back ) and grimmer , who is one of those players that I just think every team needs
Doyle, mcnulty ain’t going nowhere

Last edited:

Edgey95

If we don’t have league 1 football next season, McNulty will be gone.

rupert_bear

Big test for our owner we look set for a proper promotion challenge especially if we add to the squad or at the very least stick with what we have, in previous seasons players have moved on in January but not been replaced adequately the result being a slide from championship to Division 4

Manchester_sky_blue

I think he knows which side his bread is buttered. Scored 10 in 27 appearances for Pompey in League 2, has 12 in 25 league appearances for us. Struggled for game time and goals at Sheff U and on loan at Bradford in League one. He is only 25 and if he can secure a promotion with us that will do his prospects no harm at all.

Londonccfcfan

in which case I wouldn't worry, clubs will be after Billy Kee
nulty
Fair play, he's up there now with James Collins, but a lot less assists
Luton fans are not very happy with Collins at Luton, the jury is out as far as their fans are concerned. He has scored a few goals bt generally not match winning like McNulty. yes hes scored a few when they been 2/3 nil up etc. but hasn't done much when games are in the balance. Hylton is their main man by miles.

Whilst Hylton has been injured he hasn't stepped up.

McNulty is a bargain compared to him. imho. and I'm glad we have got him.

steve82

Luton fans are not very happy with Collins at Luton, the jury is out as far as their fans are concerned. He has scored a few goals bt generally not match winning like McNulty. yes hes scored a few when they been 2/3 nil up etc. but hasn't done much when games are in the balance. Hylton is their main man by miles.

Whilst Hylton has been injured he hasn't stepped up.

McNulty is a bargain compared to him. imho. and I'm glad we have got him.

Really, they must be harder to please than us as fans!!

11 league goals in 25 appearances prior to last night at a ratio of a goal every 170 mins.

I sense they have it too good at the minute if that's there worry.

Danny Hylton is clearly there favoured man and rightly so. 15 league goals in 25 league games, goal every 141 minutes again prior to last night.

Users who are viewing this thread