Announcement on Ricoh future today - The Coventry Building Society Arena (1 Viewer)

hill83

The lack of statements from Cov possibly backs this up though unless I’ve missed something.

As tenants they could have called it the “Jimmy hill is a big chinned nonce Arena” and we’d have to lap it up.

duffer

No one is saying forgive. Having spoken with wasps at the highest level they really aren’t monsters at all. The move is awful for ccfc and always was and always will be irrespective of what ccc would say. I feel ccfc and wasps could very easily have a mutually beneficial relationship that serves us as fans well. It’s just wasps are not disappearing any time soon

I hear you Pete, and I understand where you're coming from.

Absolutely the people involved aren't monsters, just cash-driven businessmen looking for an angle, who were allowed to do a hideous thing because of the stupidity/carelessness/corruption of others (delete as you feel appropriate).

Personally speaking, I'm not interested in doing anything that benefits those involved in that decision, whether it benefits us or not. Others will differ, I can accept that.

Danceswithhorses

The rush to demutualise and become a bank that happened a lot in late 90's did not turn out very well for a few of them. Bradford and Bingley ,Derbyshire and MOST NOTABLY Halifax BS, being some prime examples and for Abbey National not a success either. Nationwide and Coventry have prospered as a building societies. I don't expect Coventry will change now.
CBS's adverts used to be 'TLC not PLC'.
All the largest BS's left are pro mutual, and as it turns out, they seem to have made the correct decisions to stay mutual during an era of trendy de-mutualisation.
Shame, as i was a 'carpetbagger' with £100 in most of the top BS's accounts lol

KenilworthSkyBlue

The lack of statements from Cov possibly backs this up though unless I’ve missed something.

As tenants they could have called it the “Jimmy hill is a big chinned nonce Arena” and we’d have to lap it up.

Does it? The tone and wording within Wasps' statement doesn't actually make sense.

They make out that the deal agreed for us to return to the stadium is pretty inconsequential when in marketing monetary terms, it's significant. Almost as if they've given CBS a 'two for the price of one deal'. However, I find this very hard to believe as the commercial value of us returning to the Ricoh should in theory drive up the price of the deal massively. Especially with us being in the Championship.

If in the event Wasps have almost thrown us into the mix as a sweetener to get the deal over the line, then it probably shows how desperate they actually are.

jordan210

Anyone find it odd that the pictures in the dressing room of the players. Is still fully CCFC branded. Like its been locked up for a few years and not been used. Odd realy

hill83

Anyone find it odd that the pictures in the dressing room of the players. Is still fully CCFC branded. Like its been locked up for a few years and not been used. Odd realy

Didn’t we get moved to the away changing room and had another one built for away teams and wasps got the big boy room? Or have I invented that?

jordan210

Didn’t we get moved to the away changing room and had another one built for away teams and wasps got the big boy room? Or have I invented that?

Something like that. Just odd that if our rooms been used for away rugby. Still has CCFC branding all over. Does look like it needs a nice update.

chiefdave

Seem to recall that happened within 24 hours of one of the big wigs from Wasps turning up at a Trust(?) meeting and saying the rumours of us being kicked out of the dressing room were rubbish.

SBT

I'd be astonished if the deal for us to return to the Ricoh wasn't conditional on the naming rights being taken over, regardless of the narrative within Wasps' statement.

Surely it's more likely to be the other way round? A new naming rights deal was conditional on a second, more prominent team playing at the stadium.

Obviously CBS had an inkling that CCFC were coming back, even if Wasps couldn't tell them officially. They've got an absolute bargain otherwise. But the lack of attention we've given this suggests that it's only Wasps who stand to benefit from the new sponsorship.

hill83

But the lack of attention we've given this suggests that it's only Wasps who stand to benefit from the new sponsorship

That’s essentially what I’m suggesting whether you believe what people say or not.
I’m sure there will be some sort of update from Boddy soon. But I’m not expecting us to have any involvement with it to be honest.

hill83

You could argue money available to improve the tired state of the arena would benefit us without it coming to us personally

Indeed. It’s still a good thing overall and I’m not knocking it. More just trying to temper peoples expectations. We love to not believe the people involved in all this, but they’ve said we weren’t involved, and the clamour to say they are talking bollocks is because we want to talk ourselves up.

Again though, I’m not massively bothered either way.

Sky Blue Pete

Indeed. It’s still a good thing overall and I’m not knocking it. More just trying to temper peoples expectations. We love to not believe the people involved in all this, but they’ve said we weren’t involved, and the clamour to say they are talking bollocks is because we want to talk ourselves up.

Again though, I’m not massively bothered either way.
Pretty certain wasps have taken advantage of the situation to get a good deal for the naming rights. Does look like ccfc weren’t involved

shepardo01

It would be a naive person who didn't include naming rights in any negotiation however, regardles sof this specific deal.
From what I've been told, this has been a sticking point in previous attempts to strike a deal - Wasps not being fair in that regard. (Obviously having CCFC there makes a rights deal more attractive)
One can only presume that some sort of benefit was built in for CCFC this time around.

Sky Blue Pete

From what I've been told, this has been a sticking point in previous attempts to strike a deal - Wasps not being fair in that regard. (Obviously having CCFC there makes a rights deal more attractive)
One can only presume that some sort of benefit was built in for CCFC this time around.
I wouldn’t assume that at all and I’ve asked a direct question and obviously didn’t receive a direct answer. Should clarify that’s not a question of ccfc but it will be asked but likely to be nda answer. The benefit without question will be a spruce up of the arena which will make everything feel better and attract more fans. I think it extremely unlikely ccfc have received anything from the link up

Last edited:

Moff

No one is saying forgive. Having spoken with wasps at the highest level they really aren’t monsters at all. The move is awful for ccfc and always was and always will be irrespective of what ccc would say. I feel ccfc and wasps could very easily have a mutually beneficial relationship that serves us as fans well. It’s just wasps are not disappearing any time soon

Sorry Pete, like Duffer im one of those that will never forgive or forget.

I have no time for those involved, the underhand way it all happened still stinks to high heaven, and the collusion that leaves our football club at the mercy of a Rugby Franchise for its foreseeable future is shocking.

I hate the franchise essence of it, we all decry the Super League and yet in the same breath can accept a team in a different sport acting like an American franchise to move to a whole new city. The way our Football and Rugby club were sold down the river, is disgusting.

As a keen Rugby fan, you may be right Wasps aren't going anywhere soon, but it may look look so Rosy in the longer term, as those unsustainable losses keep growing.

Last edited:

NorthernWisdom

As a keen Rugby fan, you may be right Wasps aren't going nowhere soon, but it may look look so Rosy in the longer term, as those unsustainable losses keep growing.
Depends what you classify as 'soon', too. I'd have always thought it'd take half a dozen years before you get any idea if they're sticking or not, an Covid's probably set that back a bit, too.

Moff

Depends what you classify as 'soon', too. I'd have always thought it'd take half a dozen years before you get any idea if they're sticking or not, an Covid's probably set that back a bit, too.

That was really around my line of thinking...possibly a five to ten year window to see what happens.

Magwitch1

I have no time for those involved, the underhand way it all happened still stinks to high heaven, and the collusion that leaves our football club at the mercy of a Rugby Franchise for its foreseeable future is shocking.
Do you put any blame in Joy Sepalla, lap ?

fernandopartridge

Wasps bloke has said this deal was already ongoing before anyone knew we were coming back. And due to NDA CBS couldn’t be told. It was an added bonus.

Believe it?
It also suggests we had no idea about it so couldn’t negotiate any sort of deal around it.
How long were the actual negotiations for such a simple deal? They must think we were born yesterday.

Let's be honest the first step would have probably been a cap in hand request from Wasps which admittedly might have happened some time ago.

Users who are viewing this thread