Announcement on Ricoh future today - The Coventry Building Society Arena (1 Viewer)

Skyblueweeman

A very long winded way of saying they can't afford to change the colour of the seats.

giphy.gif

Terry Gibson's perm

They can change the colours of the seats if they want they see more of them than we will do in the ground as we are more likely to have people sitting in them.

SBT

As far as name changes go, this is about as innocuous as it gets. Could have been a hell of a lot worse, and best case scenario people will just be calling it 'the Coventry Arena' in a few years.

All things considered, Ricoh Arena was generally a pretty good name for a stadium right?

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
I bloody love the idea of it being known as "The Coventry Arena"! At least when we're back in the Premiership, people will know who we are!

Jcap

Does this mean that Cov Building Society will start printing fixture list cards again like they used to do back in the day? Pre-internet it was either that or the Telegraph fixture list pullout to plan weekends and make sure weddings and stuff didn't clash with big games.

NortonSkyBlue

As far as name changes go, this is about as innocuous as it gets. Could have been a hell of a lot worse, and best case scenario people will just be calling it 'the Coventry Arena' in a few years.

All things considered, Ricoh Arena was generally a pretty good name for a stadium right?
As a name goes I totally agree the Ricoh has been fantastic.

The Philosopher

It’s a strange commercial move for a building society, unless they have plans to do a Bradford & Bingley / Alliance & Leicester / Abbey National and become a Bank.

The Abbey National was branded as “The Abbey” for a while and it wouldn’t surprise me if CBS go on a new business drive before something happens.

Wouldn’t surprise me if the next move is for CBS to have a slight change of corporate image “The Coventry (something or other (Nationwide?)) Stadium” which matches the CBS next move plan.

I’ve no inside knowledge, I just like to see the real reasoning behind things. As others have said, it’s a strange move for a building society unless it’s part of a longer term plan.

Bugsy

Yorkshire SB

It’s a strange commercial move for a building society, unless they have plans to do a Bradford & Bingley / Alliance & Leicester / Abbey National and become a Bank.

The Abbey National was branded as “The Abbey” for a while and it wouldn’t surprise me if CBS go on a new business drive before something happens.

Wouldn’t surprise me if the next move is for CBS to have a slight change of corporate image “The Coventry (something or other (Nationwide?)) Stadium” which matches the CBS next move plan.

I’ve no inside knowledge, I just like to see the real reasoning behind things. As others have said, it’s a strange move for a building society unless it’s part of a longer term plan.

Their CEO was previously CEO at Principality - so he's got some form in this area!

It's entirely a brand awareness move, should get them more national coverage. Not sure whether it's more cost effective than some TV and digital marketing though. Be a great move if we end up in the PL in the next 5 years though..

duffer

Wasps aren’t disappearing guys - come on let’s just move forward now

Sorry Pete, but politely, no.

Wasps moving here was bullshit then, it's bullshit now, and it'll still be bullshit in twenty years. Why should we move on?

The best way of stopping clubs (rugby and football) being dicked around by very rich people and politicians is to continue to stand against it.

The time to forgive and move on is when there's an acceptance that it was just plain wrong. But I'm not holding my breath on that!

So to me, 'moving on' in this context is just giving up and enabling the next bit of bollocks.

I don't want the lying arseholes behind all this to think that they'll get a free pass just because a few years have passed. It'll take a bit more than that for me at least.

Anyway, at least the stadium now has Coventry in its name - it's more than its owners can say.

Dean1961

So is this a cunning move by Mr Hoffman as he is a big city fan just my thoughts really or is it really helping the insects.

covcity4life

Does this mean that Cov Building Society will start printing fixture list cards again like they used to do back in the day? Pre-internet it was either that or the Telegraph fixture list pullout to plan weekends and make sure weddings and stuff didn't clash with big games.
Blast from past that

hill83

Wasps bloke has said this deal was already ongoing before anyone knew we were coming back. And due to NDA CBS couldn’t be told. It was an added bonus.

Believe it?
It also suggests we had no idea about it so couldn’t negotiate any sort of deal around it.

Was it helpful to have Coventry City back as part of negotiations?
“The negotiations started long before the Coventry City conversations actually, well certainly my involvement with the conversations.

“Absolutely it's a fantastic bonus, a benefit, you can say. I think as we were going through the conversations with Coventry Building Society, we were obviously fully aware of the Coventry City conversation. It was quite paradoxical because I couldn’t tell anybody as it was bound under NDAs (non-disclosure agreement).

“When we told them that Coventry City were coming back in, that was an absolute bonus for them. I’m going to affect some introductions, I’ve already spoken to Dave Boddy this morning of Coventry, just to let him know before we announced. Just so he could have a heads up, as a partner of ours. I’m going to then introduce Dave to the right people at Coventry Building Society to start their own relationship.

“It wasn’t the reason for the deal, but it was absolutely a fantastic part of the deal for Coventry Building Society as well.”

Last edited:

duffer

Wasps bloke has said this deal was already ongoing before anyone knew we were coming back. And due to NDA CBS couldn’t be told. It was an added bonus.

Believe it?

I'm not sure if I buy that. There are enough local people working at Cov BS to know that there's still a significant dislike of Wasps in the area, magnified when we weren't playing at the stadium.

If CCFC hadn't returned, I'd be amazed if this deal would've gone through. Just mho, of course.

Cov kid 55

I’m happy with this, the stadium has got Coventry in it’s name, the Cov Bld Soc is a local business, all good for me.

duffer

Please don't give them ideas.

They'll never do it mate, doesn't suit their franchise/brand.

They want to be all things to all people; a London club cruelly uprooted by the vagaries of fortune for their original supporters, an exciting, nomadic, romantic enterprise to the casual fan, and a team that is at the heart of Coventry, for the mugs here that will buy into that.

Putting Coventry in their name wouldn't play to all of those myths.

hill83

I'm not sure if I buy that. There are enough local people working at Cov BS to know that there's still a significant dislike of Wasps in the area, magnified when we weren't playing at the stadium.

If CCFC hadn't returned, I'd be amazed if this deal would've gone through. Just mho, of course.

Sounds like wishful thinking to me. Boddy was told about the deal on the phone just before it was announced.

To be fair not bothered either way really.

play_in_skyblue_stripes

The rush to demutualise and become a bank that happened a lot in late 90's did not turn out very well for a few of them. Bradford and Bingley ,Derbyshire and MOST NOTABLY Halifax BS, being some prime examples and for Abbey National not a success either. Nationwide and Coventry have prospered as a building societies. I don't expect Coventry will change now.

Kneeza

The rush to demutualise and become a bank that happened a lot in late 90's did not turn out very well for a few of them. Bradford and Bingley ,Derbyshire and MOST NOTABLY Halifax BS, being some prime examples and for Abbey National not a success either. Nationwide and Coventry have prospered as a building society. I don't expect Coventry will change now.
I seem to recall making a few bob from shares when Alliance & Leicester demutualized. Ģuess it's all over now, but still holding out hope that the Nationwide will do it and slip me a few quid.
Ha. Fat chance.

Sky Blue Pete

Sorry Pete, but politely, no.

Wasps moving here was bullshit then, it's bullshit now, and it'll still be bullshit in twenty years. Why should we move on?

The best way of stopping clubs (rugby and football) being dicked around by very rich people and politicians is to continue to stand against it.

The time to forgive and move on is when there's an acceptance that it was just plain wrong. But I'm not holding my breath on that!

So to me, 'moving on' in this context is just giving up and enabling the next bit of bollocks.

I don't want the lying arseholes behind all this to think that they'll get a free pass just because a few years have passed. It'll take a bit more than that for me at least.

Anyway, at least the stadium now has Coventry in its name - it's more than its owners can say.
No one is saying forgive. Having spoken with wasps at the highest level they really aren’t monsters at all. The move is awful for ccfc and always was and always will be irrespective of what ccc would say. I feel ccfc and wasps could very easily have a mutually beneficial relationship that serves us as fans well. It’s just wasps are not disappearing any time soon

chiefdave

Believe it?
It also suggests we had no idea about it so couldn’t negotiate any sort of deal around it.
giphy.gif

Complete coincidence that Coventry Building Society are announced as having a 10 year naming rights deal just weeks after its announced we've signed a 10 year deal at the Ricoh after years of Wasps not being able to find a sponsor. Love the idea that Coventry City need Wasps to introduce them to Coventry Building Society :ROFLMAO:

duffer

Sounds like wishful thinking to me. Boddy was told about the deal on the phone just before it was announced.

There's no way to know either way, but I find it a remarkable coincidence in terms of timing.

The uplift in visibility in having CCFC back is huge, if Wasps didn't play on that in their negotiations (NDA or not), then they'd be daft.

Unless the deal was literally signed weeks ago, then CBS would be aware of our return. And if it was signed weeks ago then why was it only announced yesterday?

KenilworthSkyBlue

From a marketing perspective, the Coventry BS receive far more brand exposure if we're playing at the stadium along with Wasps. Especially in the Championship where we receive far more air time on Sky than when we were in League One. Equally, it's slightly convenient that the deal was agreed just a couple of months after it was announced that we were to return. Wasps struggled for years to attract a stadium sponsor to take over the naming rights. What's changed?

I'd be astonished if the deal for us to return to the Ricoh wasn't conditional on the naming rights being taken over, regardless of the narrative within Wasps' statement.

Users who are viewing this thread