Andy Murray retiring

Discussion in 'Football & Other Sports' started by Sky_Blue_Dreamer, Jan 11, 2019.

1. Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Sky_Blue_Dreamer Active Member

Credit:
    £440.77
    That's my first prediction of the year right. Said he'd retire this year, with Wimbledon aiming to be his last appearance.

I reckon he's faking the injury - he just doesn't want to play tennis and he's too scared to tell his mum!

2. I_Saw_Shaw_Score

I_Saw_Shaw_Score Well-Known Member

Credit:
    £1,359.14
    Fantastic player, shame his career has been cut short early and a shame he played in such a tough era and will end with 3 grand slams where in Tiger Tims I’m sure he’d have been nearer double figures!

Wish him all the best and hopefully he makes it to Wimbledon

3. clint van damme

clint van damme Well-Known Member

Credit:
    £3,219.54
    by the sound of his interview I can't see him making Wimbledon.

stupot07 and I_Saw_Shaw_Score like this.
  4. Covstu

Covstu Well-Known Member

Credit:
    £279.40
    Nah he won’t make Wimbledon and to be honest i think it would be a bad move to get beaten by a 150 seed. He just cannot play at this level anymore and as painful as it is, he needs to stop before he does further damage. Not mad on the sport but at that level it takes an incredible level of fitness and power. I think he was guilty of over training at one stage which has probably cost him. Regardless at what level, you need to listen to your body

The quality that he played in was unbelievable, he locked swords with three of the finest players in history and held his own for so long. Some of the tributes coming from those three alone showed how much they respected him as a player.

5. fernandopartridge

fernandopartridge Well-Known Member

Credit:
    £3,047.33
    Yes. I've never been a particular fan of his but really respect his achievements, he should retire with his head held high.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1 and Covstu like this.
  6. no_loyalty

no_loyalty Well-Known Member

Credit:
    £711.83
    As expected Murray lost in the first round of the Australian open. He is still maintaining he wants to bow out at Wimbledon.

7. Grendel

Grendel Well-Known Member

Credit:
    £554.96
    No he isn’t he’s now considering a further op to extend his career. Today’s performance was phenomenal

Paxman II and stupot07 like this.
  8. no_loyalty

no_loyalty Well-Known Member

Credit:
    £711.83
    He did put up a terrific performance to fight back from two sets down. I didn't realise he was considering another op.

9. Houchens Head

Houchens Head Fairly well known member from Malvern

Credit:
    £912.47
    He made Wimbledon and tennis as a whole, a more watchable experience. I was always an "average" tennis fan, only watching the men's singles at Wimbledon on the TV each year. Back in the day when Rudeski and Henman played, you always hoped they'd reach the final and win it. But with Andy Murray, you expected him to win, and when he eventually did, it was a fantastic day for British tennis. I willed him to win every game. And now, it will be a very long time before the UK produces another player like Andy Murray. I hope he enjoys his retirement with his wife and two young children.
    Britain should be very proud of his achievements.

10. Terry Gibson's perm

Terry Gibson's perm Well-Known Member

Credit:
    £633.20
    I liked him because he stopped the bbc from trotting out it’s been however many years since a Wimbledon winner

11. Paxman II

Paxman II Well-Known Member

Credit:
    £548.07
    I'm a huge fan of Andy. I do understand his injury woes. However I do beleive he is suffering as much mentally as physically. I think the physical side can be mitigated further and he needs to man up and get beyond his present troubles. Too long out through injury has lessoned his confidence, his ability to consider his ability and capability. It seems all too soon and easy to give up now. I've seen his post on Instagram and elsewhere and his training has been phenoninal, more than you would imagine from someone with a hip injury that's for sure? I can't therefore get my head around this. However he has no coach, no adviser and since Lendl has sorely missed the influence. But wait he suggested a second op to extend his career? is that because he just played an in form player after long injury woe and no games underhis belt to speak of and almost pulled off a win? Yes mentally he needs a re-think. get the op done, get back on the bike like Nadal and aim to be back as quickly as possible. Get lendl back, get yourself back. he's way too good to quit yet.