And we think our council doesn't care! (1 Viewer)

Skyblueweeman

I was just reading that on the local rags website. My Pompey mates will probably give less of a shit than Saints fans will milk it.

I'd f&@king hate it though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gray

It's got nothing to do with football though. Are they also going to demand everyone with a red front door gets it painted blue. Its just another case of the moan culture we live in

Covstu

They can paint Godiva claret and blue if we can get the Ricoh back, would be happy with that deal

Otis

It's got nothing to do with football though. Are they also going to demand everyone with a red front door gets it painted blue. Its just another case of the moan culture we live in

Exactly. I'm pretty sure that Southampton Football Club don't own the colours red and white, so unless this tower is painted red and white and has Southampton FC emblazoned upon it, this is a non-story.

I wonder if Man U fans have complained to God about the colour of the sky? :thinking about:

Terry Gibson's perm

Exactly. I'm pretty sure that Southampton Football Club don't own the colours red and white, so unless this tower is painted red and white and has Southampton FC emblazoned upon it, this is a non-story.

I wonder if Man U fans have complained to God about the colour of the sky? :thinking about:

What in Manchester Otis do the Man Utd fans not like the colour grey:)

Ashdown

Seen that landmark on numerous trips in and out of Portsmouth on the way to Caen, It's already white and stands out nicely, doesn't need faffing with, the world has gone mental !

Samo

Have you noticed there a loads of things in Cov city centre that are not painted sky blue? Council bastards. :whistle:

Otis

Have you noticed there a loads of things in Cov city centre that are not painted sky blue? Council bastards. :whistle:

I'm sure if you ask the council what colour sky blue is, the image they will describe will be this won't it?

41RFk1e2fXL._SX342_.jpg

Samo

I'm sure if you ask the council what colour sky blue is, the image they will describe will be this won't it?

41RFk1e2fXL._SX342_.jpg

The black and Gold stripped city doesn't have the same ring to it does it?

Skyblueweeman

To those of you thinking this is a non-story, it will really piss Pompey fans and give Saints fans some sort of one up-man ship. Yes it doesn't have the Saints crest on but red and white in Portsmouth won't go down well. I used to work at SFC and have lived near Pompey for 15 yrs so have seen it both sides of the fence...they really do despise each other. And Gray, it is more than football...the hatred goes back hundreds of years between the cities...something to do with the marine industry I think. Oh...and the inbred comment...really...as if we don't have our fair share of idiots?!

chiefdave

To those of you thinking this is a non-story, it will really piss Pompey fans

It's certainly done that, people are going nuts about it! Not just football fans either as Pompey being a 'blue' city is apparently also to do with the Navy. The general feeling i sponsorship is OK but it should stay white. It's also lit up different colours at night which might not work so well now.

Skyblueweeman

It's certainly done that, people are going nuts about it! Not just football fans either as Pompey being a 'blue' city is apparently also to do with the Navy. The general feeling i sponsorship is OK but it should stay white. It's also lit up different colours at night which might not work so well now.

I thought it looked pretty cool over Xmas in the evenings when it was green with bits of yellow, red etc. I'm meeting a few Pompey mates tomorrow...certain that they'll be complaining about it.

Astute

I thought it looked pretty cool over Xmas in the evenings when it was green with bits of yellow, red etc. I'm meeting a few Pompey mates tomorrow...certain that they'll be complaining about it.

Who would have guessed that there are supporters with as much as us to moan about.

Sick Boy

Imagine Portsmouth's council selling Fratton Park to a rugby club and making them part of Greater-Southampton.

I'm sure they'd be as placid as our support.

Astute

Imagine Portsmouth's council selling Fratton Park to a rugby club and making them part of Greater-Southampton.

I'm sure they'd be as placid as our support.

Do they own Pompeys ground?

Most of us didn't protest more as we all know that SISU didn't try to buy it and SISU forced the sale by putting financial pressure on ACL.

What amazes me is those that always try to make out that CCC are solely to blame. Well worded comments like the one you have done here for instance. The problem you have is that nearly all of us know the truth.

Otis

Most of us didn't protest more as we all know that SISU didn't try to buy it and SISU forced the sale by putting financial pressure on ACL.

What amazes me is those that always try to make out that CCC are solely to blame. Well worded comments like the one you have done here for instance. The problem you have is that nearly all of us know the truth.

We keep going round in circles Astute and many wear blinkers on here. They see what they want to see and hear what they want to hear.

And this is on both sides of the argument.

Some will have you believe the council are the devil incarnate and others will not accept Sisu have ever done anything right, ever.

Pointless arguing anymore. Some have entrenched, immovable views and no discussion, or amount of persuasion will ever change their jaundiced opinions.

As the sensible on here will all know though, the truth as usual, lies somewhere in the middle.

Sisu totally fooked up and we all wish the council hadn't sold the ground to Wasps, but we are where we are. Don't understand why we keep going round in circles. We need to look forwards, not back.

Skyblueweeman

Who would have guessed that there are supporters with as much as us to moan about.

Honestly, the rivalry is very vitriolic. I was thinking about this more this morning...it's not like us with Leicester or Villa (who neither really care about us). And is ChiefDave confirmed, the cities hate of each other is much more than football.

As for your other post about ground ownership and council involvement, don't quote me on it, but if I remember correctly, Portsmouth City Council loaned their supporters trust some money to buy the ground and the area around it from Sacha Gaydamak (or the owner before that...not Mandaric) so that they could in effect start with a clean slate and effectively no debt to previous regimes.

Skyblueweeman

We keep going round in circles Astute and many wear blinkers on here. They see what they want to see and hear what they want to hear.

Some will have you believe the council are the devil incarnate and others will not accept Sisu have ever done anything right, ever.

Pointless arguing anymore. Some have entrenched, immovable views and no discussion, or amount of persuasion will ever change their jaundiced opinions.

As the sensible on here will all know though, the truth as usual, lies somewhere in the middle.

Sisu totally fooked up and we all wish the council hadn't sold the ground to Wasps, but we are where we are. Don't understand why we keep going round in circles. We need to look forwards, not back.

Yeah, but the council are rubbish Otis :)

Sick Boy

Whatever side you hold responsible, the response has been placid at best.

Astute

Agreed. At least it looks like we are going forward now and could have the sort of season ahead of us that most of us have never had before. And CCC can't do anything to stop it.

I just hope my little boy is big enough to go this season without wanting the toilet every 5 minutes and falling asleep in the middle of all the noise. At least he enjoys the pubs :D

Astute

Whatever side you hold responsible, the response has been placid at best.

SISU should have taken over ACL instead of wasting millions in litigation and compensation. CCC shouldn't have let Wasps have the arena. And most of them that shout the loudest didn't do any kind of protesting. There are a couple of us that protested against CCC that are seen by a few as CCC lovers. Oh the irony of it all.

Ashdown

Modern day peaceful protest doesn't achieve anything anyway does it ? Who is really going to put their freedom, criminal record, career on the line for no positive results.

Astute

Modern day peaceful protest doesn't achieve anything anyway does it ? Who is really going to put their freedom, criminal record, career on the line for no positive results.

It might have made CCC consider their actions more if we would have got many more outside their offices. But hardly anyone went for different reasons.

chiefdave

There was talk of a Solent authority a few months back and it went down like the proverbial lead ballon and hasn't been mentioned since.

One of the former owners separated ownership of the ground and the club so when they had their most recent administration they were in a position where whoever took ownership of the club would't actually own Fratton Park.

When the Trust purchase the club the local council lent them several million to buy Fratton Park back off the previous owner. They also waved through the removal of land usage restrictions and planning approval so a huge Tesco could be built right next to the ground despite a fair bit of opposition from locals.

Honestly, the rivalry is very vitriolic. I was thinking about this more this morning...it's not like us with Leicester or Villa (who neither really care about us). And is ChiefDave confirmed, the cities hate of each other is much more than football.

They absolutely hate each other, and from what I can make out all seems to be based on a mythical crossing of a picket line in a dock strike. If you look into it a bit there's no evidence to suggest it ever actually happened! They take any opportunity to get at each other, when Oasis played the Rose Bowl a few years back there was a lot of trouble and when I was driving home yesterday afternoon there was already a massive punch up taking place on the way to Fratton Park - Madness were playing there last night.

Users who are viewing this thread