...and the WORST city manager? (1 Viewer)

Worst ever City Manager

• Dave Sexton

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Terry Butcher

Votes: 12 10.3%
  • Phil Neal

• Ron Atkinson

• Gordon Strachan

Votes: 11 9.5%
  • Gary McAllister

Votes: 9 7.8%
  • Peter Reid

Votes: 62 53.4%
  • Iain Dowie

Votes: 4 3.4%
  • Chris Coleman

Votes: 6 5.2%
  • Aidy Boothroyd

Votes: 12 10.3%

• Total voters

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
I've only selected a handful here for the poll. I'm sure the rest were okay!

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Couldn't stand Strachan! He sent us down and then left us! GIT!

LarryGrayson

wot no don howe lol

Marty

McAllister. closely followed by Peter Reid.

Gray

Wasn't entirely strachans fault he did have a whole team sold from underneath him. But he did lose t.e plot in the last year playing players in the wrong positions

Paxman II

It's close but Terry Butcher I think. can't believe others were such stinkers yet rate higher than him......says a lot!

torchomatic

There's so many to choose from. Strachan and/or MacAllister for me. Both of those were piss poor.

Senior Vick from Alicante

Must be getting old but when I was a nipper no one liked Gordon Milne! In the modern era its got to be Peter Reid, even though he's working for nothing at Plymouth. Phil Neal was crap as well, always sounded bored even when we had won which was not very often. Away for 3 weeks now, hope to here some positive takeover news by the time I return, and hopefully Andy Thorn won't be added to the list.

PUSB.

sw88

Chief Commentator!
Think the hate mob in the west terrace in his last game might have contributed to that!

Most annoying thing IMO was that the wrong man felt he had to walk! WT were mainly protesting against Richardson, but Strachan was the one who walked.

Althought admittidly there were chants for Strachan to go too, but BR should have gone well before GS.

BTW, although ive gone for Peter Reid, wheres Micky Adams? He may have brought us our Highest Championship finish, but he was shite IMO! Man Management skills were awful, and it attitude stunk!! Plus I heard the players hated him too! Cant blame them! Adams = :jerkit:

rob9872

Had to be Reid for me, although Neal was awful too. Very surprised to see Sexton in that list - the guy never had a chance with what we did to him and Atkinson was brash and overspent but gave us massive profile and the facility to sign some real stars that we would never otherwise have attracted including not least Strachan himself who was awesome as a player imo

Tankie

Whilst there cannot be any argument about "the Best"
The worst is open to all kinds of ifs and buts, and varied opinions, from a personal viewpoint, I think a
dead heat between Chris Coleman, and Terry butcher, and for quite Different reasons, it was clear to me, that Coleman, had no desire, or passion, to manage CCfC, his after match press conferences, were a certain cure for insomnia,I've seen more life in a bottle of POP, not to mention the football, which bought me to a near catatonic Coma, every other saturday.

Butcher, on the other hand, had passion aplenty, so much so that he single handedly kept the club Carpenter in full time employment, replacing the dressing room door, that was estranged from its hinges at half time on match days.
If ever a player had the credentials to become a manager, then Terry had them to burn, he captained England, like a true warrior, hard as nails and even braver, as anyone who can recall the blood stained shirt, images, he played against the best players in the world, and was managed by some of the best managers, Yes Terry was destined for the top, so we thought, but Terry was a poor man manager, and fear abounded in the dressing room, due to his firery demena, the man who had seen and done everthing in football, failed in the role of manager, I just cant believe it even to this day,
Tankie...

pusbccfc

Anyone like ian dowie?
I thought he bought passion to the team, always on the sideline in his cov tracksuit... Also was the guy who arguably won us the best few games of the 21st century, 2-0 man united and 4-1 at blackburn!

Tankie

Anyone like ian dowie?
I thought he bought passion to the team, always on the sideline in his cov tracksuit... Also was the guy who arguably won us the best few games of the 21st century, 2-0 man united and 4-1 at blackburn!
Yes, I liked him as a matter of fact,
he had a passion for the job, and bonded with us fans, miles better than Coleman, in as much as he wanted the job, wheras Coleman, couldn't be arsed.
But these threads are about the Best and worst of Coventry City Managers, Ian Dowie doesnt fit either Definition.
Tank Top

Ernie Machin

Managers get too much credit when they do well and too much derision when they fail. I'm of the opinion that luck, chaos and the right players make the true difference. That said, Reid was disgraceful.

TheRoyalScam

I blame McGinnity for appointing Reid in the first place. Anyone remember the players refusing to train on Christmas Day because their 'manager' was tucking into his turkey? Still a tosser though.:jerkit:

redsox

Facebook User
Peter Reid for me.......we could hold a poll like this at least once a year just for that year's managers!!.....or is that just my imagination?

Tommy Pitera

Gotta be Mickey Adams, mostly because he took his kids along to his sacking as some sort of pathetic bargaining tool. Soft cock

@richh87

BTW, although ive gone for Peter Reid, wheres Micky Adams? He may have brought us our Highest Championship finish, but he was shite IMO! Man Management skills were awful, and it attitude stunk!! Plus I heard the players hated him too! Cant blame them! Adams = :jerkit:

Micky Adams is a really good guy actually. He loved managing City and was devastated to lose his job. Think you've been reading too much Cov City Mad. ;)

I've gone for Peter Reid - mostly because the knob couldn't be bothered to manage us. Spent more time on TV.

RedSalmon

Bobby Gould for me.

Peter Reid was piss poor and only took the job to get back into football. Didn't give a shit about CCFC.
Terry Butcher took us to the cleaners when he was sacked with his payoff.

Johnnythespider

Step forward Peter Reid, the big name bought in to replace our Eric, thing was no one, apart from McGinnity, wanted him. I don't know, the chairmen of this club have made some real stinkers down the years.

WilloVsToon

Peter Reid for sure.
I have vivid memories of going to Gilligham with my brother and we lost 3 - 1 I think....maybe more? Players tunnel was in the corner near our stand and the amount of abuse being hurled at him was justified. Chants of "Sack the booooard! Sack the boooard!...."

I also missed Adebola's opener because I was buying a pie. Happens.

100 miles from Cov.

Peter Reid easily!!! Did not used to get up to Cov too often in the Terry Butcher days but still remember the debut against Liverpool. That was depressing to say the least, such high hopes. But Reid came in at a time when we looked like actually moving forward under Black and just destroyed all the hard work put in and where are we now?

rob9872

A clear winner in Reid and he got my vote for a variety of reasons with the main ones being the standard of football, the inability to coach and get the best out of some decent players and the general feeling surrounding the club.

Where I think it's harsh is the fact that the optimism of Premiership football was extinguished and then levelled at Reid because he failed so catastrophically following Eric Black. Whilst all of that may be true, the fact that Eric Black was replaced and the fact that it was with Reid, is through no fault of his own but that of Fletcher. We did take a massive step backwards, but Fletcher has to carry the can for culpability in my book.

Adam Jones

Gary McAllister for me. The man used to send players to jog around the Memorial Park instead of training if he didn't fancy them for the weekend. Zero tactical flair, scarcely ever a conceivable game-plan, and a dreadful motivator/man-manager. Reid was bloody awful too, mind. As unpopular as he is, Strachan didn't do a bad job with us for a few seasons...

Users who are viewing this thread