... and Callum Wilson (1 Viewer)

Astute

I like the way Wilson only got 3 against Division 4 opponents and it is said that he got 3 because of the opponents. But the ones making the same comments forget to say how many we got against Nuneaton with all his replacements and that we were losing when the game got called off.

covmark

I like the way Wilson only got 3 against Division 4 opponents and it is said that he got 3 because of the opponents. But the ones making the same comments forget to say how many we got against Nuneaton with all his replacements and that we were losing when the game got called off.
I think he'll do well, but judging a player by pre season friendlies is pretty pointless. I think we got a good price tbf.

Last edited:

Sick Boy

I agree we didn't do too badly out of the deal. Fair play to him, he's gone to a club on their way up with passionate supporters.

It's funny that players leaving were a price worth paying in exchange for NOPM. After all, the NOPMers were going to starve a hedge fund of money and put it out business.

Astute

If SISU wanted and needed all of us they would have taken our football to a club where we could all fit into. They also said that they would pay for the move.

NOPM? Does this include the people that can't get to Northampton through finances or disability? NOPM counts for the minority that don't go to Northampton. I won't go myself. Nothing to do with NOPM though. To me it is wrong. That is why I won't go. And I won't go just because people on here tell me that I should go. I will not pretend that I am one of our better supporters. I am lucky if I can get near a quarter of the games in the season. Distance and shifts get in the way. But I do thousands of miles a season following our club normally. A few more miles to Northampton would mean nothing to me. But going against what I believe in means a lot.

CCFC_Charlie

The replacements that only played for five minutes in that game?

Astute

The replacements that only played for five minutes in that game?

Or the goals that the replacements have scored since then? Have they scored as many as Wilson in one game?

Or shall we keep up with the excuses for them?

Sick Boy

We never had a chance of keeping CW this season. He would have wanted to go and play at a higher level. We actually got a decent wedge for him as well.

Hobo

He has gone like lots of players before....I suspect people will be banging on about Wilson all season.

Good luck Callum.

RFC

Think you'll find LC scored 1 in 13 ( + substitute apps.. ) and is due to be shipped out on loan, anytime SOON??????????????

SkyBlue_Bear83

Think you'll find LC scored 1 in 13 ( + substitute apps.. ) and is due to be shipped out on loan, anytime SOON??????????????

This low key affair of few clear cut chances was decided by Leon Clarke’s 27th minute goal – his sixth of a pre-season campaign that saw Wolves unbeaten with five wins and a draw from their six friendly games.

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/spo...ford-united-0-wolverhampton-wanderers-7530318

“If he can keep his run going right the way through pre-season, hopefully come the start of the season, he can get some more goals as well,” said midfielder Dave Edwards, who was Wolves’ other scorer at London Road.
“He’d done really well since coming back. He’s looked sharp and everyone knows what a good finisher he is. It’s all about confidence and he’s certainly brimming with that at the moment.”
Jackett said: “We want strikers to score goals at any time but especially in competitive fixtures.
"Last season he didn’t play perhaps as much as he wanted, but there still was an experienced, big centre forward as a substitute that helped us through that time.”
“We knew if we got a couple of injuries, we still had a proven goalscorer to come in.
“It’s a fresh season now and a fresh start and he’ll be trying to get a shirt for the first game and then try to hold onto it.
"He runs at people, he closes people down, he works hard and he trains hard, so he’s not shy of effort and he’s been no different that way.”

http://www.expressandstar.com/sport.../24/leon-clarke-backed-for-more-wolves-goals/

J

Jack Griffin

If you say so.. as you clearly have all the inside info..

PS has anything you say come to fruition yet?

CCFC_Charlie

Or the goals that the replacements have scored since then? Have they scored as many as Wilson in one game?

Or shall we keep up with the excuses for them?

You're acting like we've been playing competitive fixtures. Wilson scored one goal last pre-season. John Fleck scored five goals in 2 games in his first pre-season at the club, now that really was a true reflection of his goalscoring abilities wasn't it... Give the new signings a chance to at least play a competitive game for the club before jumping on them for not being Callum Wilson. It's honestly getting to the point on this forum where people seem to be actually wishing our own players to fail just so there is another stick to beat SISU with for not adequately replacing previous players.

Grendel

You're acting like we've been playing competitive fixtures. Wilson scored one goal last pre-season. John Fleck scored five goals in 2 games in his first pre-season at the club, now that really was a true reflection of his goalscoring abilities wasn't it... Give the new signings a chance to at least play a competitive game for the club before jumping on them for not being Callum Wilson. It's honestly getting to the point on this forum where people seem to be actually wishing our own players to fail just so there is another stick to beat SISU with for not adequately replacing previous players.

Spot on -- its getting beyond a joke

Hobo

Pre season games results and goals mean nothing. Even the first three or four league games are random.

J

Jack Griffin

Pre season games results and goals mean nothing. Even the first three or four league games are random.

Look at form after 10 games & assess the quality
Look at form during January & see the depth of the squad

Right now, pure guesswork, you ain't seen enough to judge.

SkyBlue_Bear83

Britt Assombalonga has just gone to Nottingham Forest for 5 million, possibly rising to 8.

Should we have held out for more for Wilson?

Samo

Britt Assombalonga has just gone to Nottingham Forest for 5 million, possibly rising to 8

No, and we wouldn't have got it.
I do wonder, if Wilson is that good (and I hope he does well) why did it take to age 21 and the very verge of release before someone noticed the lad can play.

SkyBlue_Bear83

I'm not saying we should have, just putting the question out there

Wilson had a history of injuries didn't he before he broke through which held back his progress.

Do people think Assombalonga is worth 2-5 million more than Wilson then or is Assombalonga massively overpriced?

NorthernWisdom

I do wonder, if Wilson is that good (and I hope he does well) why did it take to age 21 and the very verge of release before someone noticed the lad can play.

Sometimes it does just take longer.

In CCFC's case we have had a tendency to go for the established, first. Note from the same youth group Boothroyd played the big and muscular Cameron - more his type of player than a light speedy forward. He did also have a good reputation when a youth player, so was more a surprise it took so long (or, rephrased, more a typical CCFC route to destroy a promising youth career!)

Hobo

If someone hadn't noticed he could play, he wouldn't have been at a professional football club, surely?

Grendel

Britt Assombalonga has just gone to Nottingham Forest for 5 million, possibly rising to 8.

It seems a huge fee. They paid over a million for him when he was fairly untried - he must be highly rated. It seems a massive fee based on one very good season.

The danger is Wilson could have had an average season - his goals decreased once Clarke departed.

Sky Blue Harry H

I'm not saying we should have, just putting the question out there

Wilson had a history of injuries didn't he before he broke through which held back his progress.

Do people think Assombalonga is worth 2-5 million more than Wilson then or is Assombalonga massively overpriced?

You just have to hold out for long enough and not blink - no way is Asso...... woth £5M, but they stood their ground, and clubs who are desperate to make a signing will pay it (if they have it). I'm going back a few years now but Wimbledon (crazygang) used to big up their players....Leon Cort, Warren Barton, centre back who went to Liverpool forget his name) and get silly money for average players. Half the time you need to big your players up if you know you're going to have to sell. Get the CET quoting£10M rated Maddison or buy Jeff Foster a pint to drop in the odd '£5M rated Ivor Lawton' and you can bring some real money in to re-invest (of course, after SISU have gone, please)

SkyBlue_Bear83

It seems a huge fee. They paid over a million for him when he was fairly untried - he must be highly rated. It seems a massive fee based on one very good season.

The danger is Wilson could have had an average season - his goals decreased once Clarke departed.

Wilson scored 7 goals in 8 games after his comeback from injury, so when Clarke had left. Then he scored 0 goals in his last 6 games so you could make a decent argument for or against that.

I think Wilson will score goals in nearly any team which can provide him with the right service, slow build up or crossing isn't his strength. Get the ball in behind the defence early and Wilson will get onto it 9/10 times.

junglej13

I've said on other threads (particularly about McQuoid) - The top goalscorers in this league are always very hard to pick. Anyone with any level of consistency gets snapped up by a Championship team. Assombalonga is clearly the stand out striker in the league for me and could do OK in the Championship. Come the end of the season I guarantee there will be some names on the League 1 top goalscorers list who have never really done anything for other clubs. Who knows this could include Mcquoid or Miller.

SkyBlue_Bear83

You just have to hold out for long enough and not blink - no way is Asso...... woth £5M, but they stood their ground, and clubs who are desperate to make a signing will pay it (if they have it). I'm going back a few years now but Wimbledon (crazygang) used to big up their players....Leon Cort, Warren Barton, centre back who went to Liverpool forget his name) and get silly money for average players. Half the time you need to big your players up if you know you're going to have to sell. Get the CET quoting£10M rated Maddison or buy Jeff Foster a pint to drop in the odd '£5M rated Ivor Lawton' and you can bring some real money in to re-invest (of course, after SISU have gone, please)

You make a fair point just about hyping your own players up through the media to increase there value, Peterborough always seem to get crazy money for there players.
Mckail Smith who in his prime was a below average championship striker went for 2.5 mill
McLean in his prime was never above L1 standard and went for 1-1.5 million
Dwight Gayle after 6 months form in the championship went for 6-8 million last summer

wingy

You make a fair point just about hyping your own players up through the media to increase there value, Peterborough always seem to get crazy money for there players.
Mckail Smith who in his prime was a below average championship striker went for 2.5 mill
McLean in his prime was never above L1 standard and went for 1-1.5 million
Dwight Gayle after 6 months form in the championship went for 6-8 million last summer

Seems they're doing what ranson was trying to do with us ,But .......Better.

Edit .... Put the lights on.

Samo

If someone hadn't noticed he could play, he wouldn't have been at a professional football club, surely?[/
QUOTE]

You know what I meant (yawn)

Hobo

If someone hadn't noticed he could play, he wouldn't have been at a professional football club, surely?[/
QUOTE]

You know what I meant (yawn)

Lots of players don't break through until their early twenties. Not everyone is an Alan Ball,

Samo

Lots of players don't break through until their early twenties.

Not everyone is an Alan Ball,

Yes I realise that Hobo but... from the verge of release and relative obscurity... to the clubs best player within a few months? Does that happen all the time?

Users who are viewing this thread