Ancestry DNA (1 Viewer)

Otis

On that theme...

Danny Dyer’s Right Royal Family review – let's get regalled out of our brains!

Anyway, FamilySearch has its place. Ancestry and FindmyPast do have many different types of records however, so are of more use. You don't even have to pay necessarily, either... just head to your nearest archive / record office, and they invariably will have a subscription to ancestry that you can use, free of charge.

Plus extra records, if you're in the area.
I know it didn't cost my uncle a penny, past travel, but my missus did hers to learn more about her ethnicity and descent and that is the main statement when you get your report back.

Mine was 92% English, 5% Scottish/Irish and 3% Norwegian.

Missus was a lot more convoluted. Hers was spread widely across Germany, Scandanavia, the Baltic's and North America.

Her highest percentage was only 46%, the filthy mudblood.

Otis

I know that of course, but for mine it totally tallies with what I already knew.

D

Deleted member 4439

That's because Ancestry DNA's test is skewed towards UK results, they have very few samples from people born outside the UK.

'My heritage' has a much larger database. You can submit your Ancestory profiles to them. There's a fee, though sometimes it's on free offer.

Because Ancestry's database is so limited, it can only trace back so far. Having access to a larger database makes a huge difference.

As an example, for my DNA:

My 'Ancestry ' results:

England & Northwestern Europe 70%
- Midlands
- East Midlands & the Potteries
- East Midlands

Scotland 21%

Wales 6%

Ireland 3%

My 'My Heritage' results

Irish, Scottish & Welsh 32.4%
-Ireland (Cork, Kerry & Limerick)

Scandinavian 28.6%

North and West European 22.3%

English 11.2%

Iberian 5.5%

Anyway, just off outside to hoist the Celtic flag whilst wearing me viking helmet...

Sbarcher

My great uncle would have been the heir to the Crathorne estate in North Yorks with Hall and village etc. I was his only heir when he died.
His great, great grandfather lost the whole thing in a card game, just my luck! All I have left is the original Crathorne signet ring.
Ah well, never miss what you never had and all that crap.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Interesting thing I saw on a documentary recently about the Grant clan, which is my Scottish bit of ancestry.

They built their castles 'back to front', with all the staircases winding the other way to normal etc because they had an unusually high number of left handed people. I'm left-handed.

wingy

Interesting thing I saw on a documentary recently about the Grant clan, which is my Scottish bit of ancestry.

They built their castles 'back to front', with all the staircases winding the other way to normal etc because they had an unusually high number of left handed people. I'm left-handed.
Far play to em , equality for lefties I say .
Much undervalued and expected to conform .(Sinestre)
Campbell's myself, devious buggers back then.

D

Deleted member 4439

It's also the case that the scots population has a higher proportion of folks with dupuytren's contracture, a problem of the hands, and which is even more prevalent in the Scandinavian countries (from where it no doubt comes). I'm a Fraser, from my mum's paternal side - my mum had dupuytrens, as do I. My brother also takes after my Mother's paternal sisde, he's left-handed :)

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Many years ago, me and 'er indoors toured Scotland and booked into a cracking hotel near Glencoe. A sign above the reception desk area quoted, "Campbells not welcome!" That was it! Blunt and to the point. I told the missus to hide the tins of soup we'd just bought in a local shop!

dutchman

I registered with Ancestry and two other so-called DNA testing sites using a false name. Despite several thousand results so far they've yet to find a single close relative. The closest Ancestry got a was "3rd cousin" who might be related to the false name I gave them who could have been found using a so-called "rough match" search algorythm on any database. All but two of the profile pictures they forwarded failed to look anything like anyone I'm related to. Of those two they failed to mention that one of them was of Dutch-German descent the same as me (she also had a spectrum disorder which is quite common in my family).

So basically I'm calling bullshit on the whole industry. It looks to me as if they're simply scouring databases for known names and relationships then extrapolating supposed "DNA" results, ie: "Our database says you're a fifth cousin therefore we estimate you share 0.5% of your DNA."

hill83

I registered with Ancestry and two other so-called DNA testing sites using a false name. Despite several thousand results so far they've yet to find a single close relative. The closest Ancestry got a was "3rd cousin" who might be related to the false name I gave them who could have been found using a so-called "rough match" search algorythm on any database. All but two of the profile pictures they forwarded failed to look anything like anyone I'm related to. Of those two they failed to mention that one of them was of Dutch-German descent the same as me (she also had a spectrum disorder which is quite common in my family).

So basically I'm calling bullshit on the whole industry. It looks to me as if they're simply scouring databases for known names and relationships then extrapolating supposed "DNA" results, ie: "Our database says you're a fifth cousin therefore we estimate you share 0.5% of your DNA."

Did you send a saliva sample to them or just register under a false name?

Evo1883

I would be interested .

I'd say from the family that I know of I've definitely got Scandinavian somewhere .
I believe there's a high chance there some Portuguese there too .
I reckon I'd have less than 50% English

Aren't we all just mongrels 😂

hill83

Yes. I sent it to Ancestry DNA's lab in Ireland and then submitted their test results to Heritage DNA and FamilyTree DNA for further analysis.

Fair enough.

Odd though, I literally put my name in, which is extremely common and spat in a plastic cup and it's found family I didn't know about.
Didn't upload any official documents or anything like that. It does of course rely on people 'in your family' having done the same. If nobody has done it it won't find anyone.

Last edited:

hill83

Always been interested to give it a go but am sceptical.

Well it worked for me as stated a few pages back, in touch with cousins in Jamaica and Canada none of my family knew about as a direct result of it. And my Grandfathers (who I never met) brother. Is that great Uncle? He fished out a photo of my mum and aunties none of us had ever seen before.

The DNA even came out as I expected. My Grandad was black, my mum is half black and I'm quarter black, and my result came out with 25% African ancestry. Even pinpointing Afro Jamaicans which is where my grandad was from in a later update.
It also pinpointed the Scottish Highlands/Argyll & Bute which I was also expecting. My Nan was from Oban.

Last edited:

lifeskyblue

I’m sceptical re the accuracy but have completed it. It came out as 51% English, 22% Scottish, 18% Irish. Rest a mix of Norway, Sweden and Northern Europe.
The links to other people who are closely matched to you has been mixed. My great grandfather was illegitimate…lots of clues but no real help. Another great grandfather possibly/probably changed his name…have been in touch with one of his children’s grandchildren (my third cousin) …and we do share a lot of dna.
Some of great grandmother’s siblings emigrated to USA…have been in touch with a few of their descendants who have close dna matches and have also traced family back to Chipping Norton area where this branch came from. A couple have visited uk doing their family tree’.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sick Boy

Well it worked for me as stated a few pages back, in touch with cousins in Jamaica and Canada none of my family knew about as a direct result of it. And my Grandfathers (who I never met) brother. Is that great Uncle? He fished out a photo of my mum and aunties none of us had ever seen before.
Might just give it a go - as far as I know everyone is from Ireland - be interested to see.

lifeskyblue

I’m sceptical re the accuracy but have completed it. It came out as 51% English, 22% Scottish, 18% Irish. Rest a mix of Norway, Sweden and Northern Europe.
The links to other people who are closely matched to you has been mixed. My great grandfather was illegitimate…lots of clues but no real help. Another great grandfather possibly/probably changed his name…have been in touch with one of his children’s grandchildren (my third cousin) …and we do share a lot of dna.
Some of great grandmother’s siblings emigrated to USA…have been in touch with a few of their descendants who have close dna matches and have also traced family back to Chipping Norton area where this branch came from. A couple have visited uk doing their family tree’.

What is of interest is that the dna matches get refined. Initially It also indicated some Iberian dna but this appears to have been lost and the percentages of English etc changed a little.

lifeskyblue

38801d0c7b2b49ad9296c93e3c5fb46c.jpg

My current dna estimate

lifeskyblue

My wife did hers…came back 100% Irish. That surprised me…I would have expected some Scandinavian in there

Users who are viewing this thread