Ancestry DNA (1 Viewer)

Otis

but it was Otis' DNA, not hers.
It's not the Krypton Factor and doesn't need a deduction from Sherlock Holmes.

My missus did it first and then bought me a kit for Christmas. No idea why exactly, cos I have absolutely no interest in learning to play the drums.

lifeskyblue

I’m 60% English and Welsh; 20%+ Irish and Scottish; with the rest made up of Scandinavia, Northern Europe and Iberian peninsular.
It’s interesting but I’m not sure how accurate. About 6mths ago they ‘updated’ the results (no new DNA from me) and reduced the Iberian connection by half, increased the English and Irish considerably and introduced a Germanic component.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

richnrg

I’m 60% English and Welsh; 20%+ Irish and Scottish; with the rest made up of Scandinavia, Northern Europe and Iberian peninsular.
It’s interesting but I’m not sure how accurate. About 6mths ago they ‘updated’ the results (no new DNA from me) and reduced the Iberian connection by half, increased the English and Irish considerably and introduced a Germanic component.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
perhaps you're mutating?

Captain Dart

Sick Boy

I’ve seen articles disputing how accurate these things are but always been tempted to buy one. Thanks to my milk skin I’m pretty sure it’s going to be an interesting 90%+ Irish

Gazolba

Anyone who wants can send me £70 and I'll send them back an official looking document saying they are from wherever they want to be from.
If you want to be 50% Native American, no problem.

olderskyblue

Had this done a year ago, and thought the results were rubbish. It said 3% from Ireland/Scotland/Wales, and as my father was Welsh, and all his ancestors as well, I thought 3% was definitely on the low side... It's now moved up to 38%... (they do updates occasionally). Better, but still not high enough.

Malaka

If I was a professional footballer, the following countries would be desperate to have me in their squad:
England
Scotland
Wales
Ireland
Egypt
Greece
Cyprus
Some mix eh?

Otis

Probably traced his family tree previously.

That's what my family did.

Traced back to 1066 on one side and the 1600's on the other.

Guessing olderskyblue has done the same.

One side on my family is pretty much all Nottinghamshire and the other, the Cotswolds, Warwickshire and Wiltshire.

olderskyblue

I'm thinking he's questioning my parentage otis... :emoji_thinking:

Otis

I'm thinking he's questioning my parentage otis... :emoji_thinking:
Perhaps, but in saying that, upon viewing some of my ancestors, I did have to look at Bastardy Court references a couple of times.

Oops.

They also had massive families.

John had 11 children
Isaac had 9 children
Josiah had 13 children
Frederick had 7 children
Etc. etc.....

At a guess I would say 75% of you on here are related to me in one way or another.

Otis

giphy.gif

dutchman

That's what my family did.

Traced back to 1066 on one side and the 1600's on the other.

Guessing olderskyblue has done the same.

One side on my family is pretty much all Nottinghamshire and the other, the Cotswolds, Warwickshire and Wiltshire.

Meaningless unless backed by medical evidence. Families routinely lie about who is related to who. The only thing a family tree tells you is who CLAIMS to be related to who.

Otis

Hmmm.

I have all the baptisms registered at the churches and where people, were married and are buried.

Why so cynical?

Are you telling me all these relatives buried in the cemeteries aren't mine?

dutchman

Hmmm.

I have all the baptisms registered at the churches and where people, were married and are buried.

Why so cynical?

Are you telling me all these relatives buried in the cemeteries aren't mine?

There's no way of knowing unless you dig them up and have them DNA tested.

There are lies, damned lies and the entries on birth certificates.

hill83

You keep your cynical view and I will keep my realistic one, thanks.

:)

To be fair I'd be lying the other way if I found out I was related to Otis.

But yeah in my experience it's legitimate. I've been through some of it with my granddad and he knew people named and knew of people named as far back as the early 1800s. He's 89 himself.

But again, if I could time travel and knew that Otis would be my great great great great uncle I'd come back to life and change my surname on my death certificate.

Last edited:

Otis

To be fair I'd be lying the other way if I found out I was related to Otis.

But yeah in my experience it's legitimate. I've been through some of it with my granddad and he knew people named and knew of people named as far back as the early 1800s. He's 89 himself.
My dad is 89.

In the 80's my uncle (now sadly passed away) painstakingly went through church records and travelled up and done the Midlands retracing our family history.

He went to great lengths, because not only did he trace names and dates of births, but dates of baptism, names of the churches, dates of marriages, where they were married and where they are buried.

Even got a load of vocations too, though seemingly nearly all mine were agricultural labourers, or farm hands, or farmers.

dutchman

In the 80's my uncle (now sadly passed away) painstakingly went through church records and travelled up and done the Midlands retracing our family history.

He went to great lengths, because not only did he trace names and dates of births, but dates of baptism, names of the churches, dates of marriages, where they were married and where they are buried.

Even got a load of vocations too, though seemingly nearly all mine were agricultural labourers, or farm hands, or farmers.

All that proves is who you were related to "on paper", not biologically.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Wouldn't bother paying to that Ancestry Site thing for a DNA test. Bloody rip-off! I've traced my family back on both sides (mam and dad), using a free service. It's well known that the Salvation Army will do a trace but for a fee. But did you know that the Mormons also have an ancestry site and don't charge? It's excellent! You just register your name (as with most things online). I've used it for about 5 or 6 years now. For those interested the webpage is: Free Family History and Genealogy Records — FamilySearch.org and for the Paddys out there, there's a good alternate site as well. Try this: https://www.irishancestors.ie/home-2/
You can spend ages once you get stuck into these things. Good luck to everyone!

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Just going on from my last post, the Free Family History webpage covers the whole world, so it doesn't matter where you believe you originate from.

Otis

Wouldn't bother paying to that Ancestry Site thing for a DNA test. Bloody rip-off! I've traced my family back on both sides (mam and dad), using a free service. It's well known that the Salvation Army will do a trace but for a fee. But did you know that the Mormons also have an ancestry site and don't charge? It's excellent! You just register your name (as with most things online). I've used it for about 5 or 6 years now. For those interested the webpage is: Free Family History and Genealogy Records — FamilySearch.org and for the Paddys out there, there's a good alternate site as well. Try this: https://www.irishancestors.ie/home-2/
You can spend ages once you get stuck into these things. Good luck to everyone!
Cheers, Houch.

Captain Dart

Just going on from my last post, the Free Family History webpage covers the whole world, so it doesn't matter where you believe you originate from.
Mars mate, I hail from the Red Planet, thats what I believe. :)

NorthernWisdom

On that theme...

Danny Dyer’s Right Royal Family review – let's get regalled out of our brains!

Anyway, FamilySearch has its place. Ancestry and FindmyPast do have many different types of records however, so are of more use. You don't even have to pay necessarily, either... just head to your nearest archive / record office, and they invariably will have a subscription to ancestry that you can use, free of charge.

Plus extra records, if you're in the area.

Users who are viewing this thread