Amazing how opposition fans see things (1 Viewer)

Evo1883

We almost (including me) went into meltdown last night, some of us seem certain we aren't good enough this season despite having a good start and it's almost as if we are waiting to lose so we can justify our beliefs.
Pompey fans have expressed on various platforms that we are a good side, and our front 3 look pretty deadly, some of them think Shipley is the next Lothar matthaus lol.

Are we ready to accept that infact we are a good side this season at this level, yes we need to tweak things, be better at things but let's not wait for the lads to fail rather enjoy the fact they aren't PUSB
ded929845dc407e87155e6b81eefe2bf.jpg

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

rd45

We gifted them their goals. If we can cut out the mistakes we are laughing.

Even at 3-1 down, I was still glass half full. I much sooner have given three soft goals away with silly errors, than have been played off the park by a better side - because the errors are all fixable, and it’s in your own hands how to move on from them.

Obvs by the end my glass was full anyway.

block16

We were so impressive from start to finish. Gifted them goals at bad times but never at any stage did they look better than us. There 3rd was a blow because we looked so good at the beginning of the second half I was sure we were going to score

kg82

On a side note, when was the last time we had 2 players sent off in a game? I mean, we only had 1 sending off the whole of last season!

Reactions: TTG

clint van damme

I remember we having two sent off v Wimbledon in mid 90’s and we scored and came back to draw like last night!!!

Ndlovu nearly got a winner as well, mazy run through their defence and put it just wide.
Even though there was less than 10,000 in the ground that was one of the best atmospheres I can remember at HR.

mark_ccfc

I thought we would possibly be found out at the back after Southend put us under pressure in the first match. However what was good is that we were three down and the lads heads didn't go down, they just kept on going. Good sign that, I was worried we were going to lose confidence after that game, but fair play, they battled on.

Monners

We are a decent side. Not only because Robins knows what he wants us to do, and gets in players who will stick to the plan, but mainly because he has had a long enough period of time in charge to implement his style of play. We will lose some of course,but the improvements started the moment he came back to the club, and have continued since. Play offs have to be realistic this season (in my opinion)

Magwitch

We almost (including me) went into meltdown last night, some of us seem certain we aren't good enough this season despite having a good start and it's almost as if we are waiting to lose so we can justify our beliefs.
Pompey fans have expressed on various platforms that we are a good side, and our front 3 look pretty deadly, some of them think Shipley is the next Lothar matthaus lol.

Are we ready to accept that infact we are a good side this season at this level, yes we need to tweak things, be better at things but let's not wait for the lads to fail rather enjoy the fact they aren't PUSB

Nothing to laugh out loud about Shipley has become a fine player and a mainstay of our midfield, super left foot and scored goals after we made it 3-3 he was a whisker of getting on to a loose ball on the edge of the box. Strange it takes opposing fans to see it. Wouldn’t mind betting he’s one of the first names on the team sheet.

Terry_dactyl

Just received my Pompey supporting dad’s match analysis. Said we looked good but thought our defending was “naive” at times. I think he meant we over complicated things a bit.
I didn’t go but As someone mentioned in another post, this would be a decent measure of the side, our first test if you like. It sounds like we passed it...just.

Kieranp96

On a side note, when was the last time we had 2 players sent off in a game? I mean, we only had 1 sending off the whole of last season!
Doncaster boxing day I believe 2015 could of been earlier, worst away game I've witnessed Madison and Barton sent of lost 2-0 and got stuck on the motorway because it was snowing to much.

Kieranp96

Doncaster boxing day I believe 2015 could of been earlier, worst away game I've witnessed Madison and Barton sent of lost 2-0 and got stuck on the motorway because it was snowing to much.
Madison got his first yellow for diving which is no coincidence

Adge

Nothing to laugh out loud about Shipley has become a fine player and a mainstay of our midfield, super left foot and scored goals after we made it 3-3 he was a whisker of getting on to a loose ball on the edge of the box. Strange it takes opposing fans to see it. Wouldn’t mind betting he’s one of the first names on the team sheet.
He’s improving it has to be said. Only minor criticism is he can’t seem to last 90 mins and always looks the most likely to be subbed.

Great_Expectations

I haven’t understood the negativity thus far at all. Bolton rightfully pissed people off, but the overreactions were embarrassing - one game doesn’t make a season.

We have good players, some of whom have the ability and/or potential to play higher.
We have a good manager, who appears to be improving and learning i.e. he is more willing to let us play football and attack, and is moving away from his cautious first mentality which has held us back in the past.
We have a strong youth set up, which will continue to support the first team and one or two will no doubt play a significant role this year.

Plus we have no loan players yet AND haven’t seen the two most prominent summer signings properly or at all (Allen and Kasteener).

Once one or two come in on loan, we’ll be even stronger.

I’ve said it since early pre season; we’re absolutely challenging this year.

tigersb

I have so far been delighted by our form this season
I actually think that playing at Birmingham will help us as their pitch is so much better for playing good passing football

Old Warwickshire lad

We are a good side at this level. And from all accounts Allen when fit will improve the team, and the pitch at St.Andrews suits our style.
Personally I think we overplay it at the back, but it is obviously what the manager wants.
Its his job on the line if things don’t work out, so who the f*** am I to tell him anything ( and just what do I know anyway).
As fans we all have opinions, but let’s just let Robins get on with it and enjoy the ride.

Kieranp96

He’s improving it has to be said. Only minor criticism is he can’t seem to last 90 mins and always looks the most likely to be subbed.
My criticism of Shipley and even Westbrook is they go games where they are completely out of it, the Bristol rovers game for example Shipley touched the ball maybe 4x in the first half, other than that when he is on the ball his quality is ok not amazing not shit.

Kieranp96

We are a good side at this level. And from all accounts Allen when fit will improve the team, and the pitch at St.Andrews suits our style.
Personally I think we overplay it at the back, but it is obviously what the manager wants.
Its his job on the line if things don’t work out, so who the f*** am I to tell him anything ( and just what do I know anyway).
As fans we all have opinions, but let’s just let Robins get on with it and enjoy the ride.
Agree with playing it out the back to much but that's modern football altogether look at Liverpool's conceded goal against Southampton another fine example of pissing around rather than just putting there boots through it, I feel our defenders will grow in confidence as the season goes on excluding mason as he is already full of confidence and rightly so he has been immense so far.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Agree with playing it out the back to much but that's modern football altogether look at Liverpool's conceded goal against Southampton another fine example of pissing around rather than just putting there boots through it, I feel our defenders will grow in confidence as the season goes on excluding mason as he is already full of confidence and rightly so he has been immense so far.

The trade off is will you end up scoring more than the mistakes will lead you to conceding? It's obvious when you can attribute a conceded goal to playing it at the back. but it's impossible to attribute goals to it. You can play the ball backwards and forwards, sideways for ages before the chance for the goal comes along, by which time a lot of people have forgotten all the possession play at the back leading up to it. And although the goal wouldn't have happened if the defence hadn't kept possession at the same time you can never know if a direct ball would've also resulted in a goal.

Kieranp96

The trade off is will you end up scoring more than the mistakes will lead you to conceding? It's obvious when you can attribute a conceded goal to playing it at the back. but it's impossible to attribute goals to it. You can play the ball backwards and forwards, sideways for ages before the chance for the goal comes along, by which time a lot of people have forgotten all the possession play at the back leading up to it. And although the goal wouldn't have happened if the defence hadn't kept possession at the same time you can never know if a direct ball would've also resulted in a goal.
Indeed, I just hope we have a scoring ability of the 15/16 season with Armstrong and Murphy if I have the right season

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

But he is the most energetic of the trio in getting forward and back so it's hardly surprising he tires the most. He also seems to be the biggest goal threat IMO (possibly more so than Bayliss because he's not afraid to have a pop when around the area). I think of all of them Westbrooke needs to offer a bit more because he can drift out of games when he's not in possession but I expect Allen will take his place when fit.

Users who are viewing this thread