All Ricoh/ alternative ground comments. (1 Viewer)

Leceister or Birmingham?

• Leicester

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • Birmingham

Votes: 4 66.7%

• Total voters

Sky Blues

Did Brighton not used to ground share with Gillingham back before they got the withdean? Would suggest none of the afore mentioned rules apply. Or are they recently introduced rules?

It has been hard to find confirmation of when the rule changes were made, partly because the Football League has removed the statement from its website, but I have no reason to disbelieve this account on the Yeovil forum from June 2005: http://www.ciderspace.co.uk/asp/news/news.asp?NewsItemId=1696
June 2005 is some 6 years after Brighton had returned from Gillingham to the Withdean stadium, which is in Brighton. It was also just a few months before John Prescott approved the plans to build the Falmer (Amex) stadium. So their ground relocation plans, which were within the community they are based, were already well underway at this stage.
And, as Baginton has noted above, this was also after Wimbledon became Franchise FC. So neither example is a test of these new rules, which appear to be an explicit attempt to stop another club leaving the area it came from. So, if it came to it, I think it is fair to say we cannot assume that the Football League would easily agree to the club moving outside Coventry, particularly if there were voices of opposition.

Otis

The floor though is the BPA is home to Cov Rugby, the Coventry Bears, and I may be wrong but also the Coventry Jets. What sort of state would the pitch be in with 4 sports teams on it a week?

Coventry Jets used to play there but don't anymore. They now play at Cov Saracens in Binley.

Sub

COVENTRY FACING UP TO DEBT DISASTER

362841_1.jpg

Coventry manager Mark Robins

Thursday December 6,2012

By Brendan McLoughlin

commentBubble.gif
Have your say(0)

COVENTRY have been warned they have 21 days to settle their unpaid rent or face closure – as they admitted they need to leave their home to survive.

Ricoh Arena chiefs are owed £1.6million by the club – including £1.1m in rent after the Sky Blues stopped making their payments 10 months ago.
Boxing Day has been set as the deadline but, should they fail, the League One club would have to declare themselves insolvent or face a winding-up order.
Arena Coventry Limited, jointly owned by the Higgs Charity and Coventry City Council, said: “The board feels that all other avenues to resolve this issue have been exhausted.
“It is astonished that the club’s owners have allowed matters to come to this sorry pass.”
Coventry hit back in a statement, insisting their annual rent of £1.28m is “understood to be the highest in both League One and the Championship”.
The Sky Blues, bankrolled by Sisu Capital Limited for the past five years, added: “The club remains committed to the city and people of Coventry.

“However, its viability depends on it finding an alternative home ground where it can afford to play.”
The news comes just days after Coventry were handed a third-round FA Cup draw against Tottenham in what is a repeat of the 1987 final, which the Sky Blues won.
That triumph remains the high-point of the club’s 129-year history, although it is only 11 seasons since they were relegated from the Premier League, ending a run of 34 consecutive campaigns in the top flight.
They were relegated from the Championship last season and began this campaign poorly.
However, Mark Robins has led them from second-bottom to 15th place since his appointment as manager in September.

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/362841

skybluesam66

Coventry and Nuneaton

Weve had Dagenham and Redbridge, brighton and hove, Rushden and diamonds,

What about Coventry and Nuneaton FC

Would this exile all fans of both teams , or actually make sense - a Conference debt free team, drawing on the support of a large area - which would potentially have a lot more to offer than a 3rd division team with £40m of debt

It is something you can build, and when you need a bigger ground to play in as it gathers momentum, you go back to the Ricoh , which is still very nearly in Nuneaton

Might upset a few, but from a business point of view, it makes sense

Otis

Upset a few?

Understatement of the year!!

You've lit the blue touch paper, now stand back and watch the fireworks!

Otis

If we do go under who would you support? - Read if you have a sense of humour!

Leicester or Birmingham?

Brum for me as it's a little bit easier to get to.

covcity4life

wtf otis is this a joke? id never support either of those

i guess id support afc cov if there is one, but i dont that,i want this club with mark robins!

AFCCOVENTRY

For me neither... If there is no afc Coventry then the nearest team in terms of style and flair would have to be Barcelona.

nuckythompson

Its Not About The Rent Its About SISU Getting The Ricoh For Peanuts

Please Please Please forget about the amount of rent etc - this whole thing is about SISU driving ACL into admin by cutting off their biggest revenue stream and forcing the bank to call in their loan. SISU then move in, pick up the Arena for peanuts, sell it off, recover their money and leave behind a penniless football club and a decimated arena.

These people are a ruthless hedgefund desperate to get their money back - google how hedgefunds operate - they target a company, drive down its value, buy it up cheap, break it up and sell it off at a profit. They don't care about the club only their money.

If SISU succeed it will be a disaster for the club, the Arena, the charity, those who rely on the charity and the citizens of Coventry.

ACL have offered reduced rent yet all offers have been rejected - its not about the rent its about getting their predatory claws on the Arena, not for the good of the club but for the good of their bank balance.

Otis

otis you cheeky wind up scamster you. For me it would be manure or chelski, it just depended on who was top of the prem :whistle:

Me, on the wind-up? Why would I be on the wind-up? How very dare you suggest such a thing.

Completely and utterly deadly serious I am! ;)

covcity4life

your username suggests an obbsession with gangsters and corruption hence your paranoid post.

Last edited:

cloughie

Paranoid post nope he has just spoke the truth and if you believe otherwise then you have been duped

Users who are viewing this thread