All-purpose tennis thread (1 Viewer)

OffenhamSkyBlue

Slightly surprised there is nothing on the forum regarding tennis, given the discussions around what you might regard as more "minority sports".
So i will kick off with Katie Boulter just beating last year's Wimbledon runner-up to get to round three of a grand slam tournament for the first time.
She seems a very happy and likeable character, unlike many others in her profession who are rather more self-obsessed and insecure
Touch of the Jodie Comers about her

no_loyalty

Pretty disappointing yesterday watching Raducanu and Murray lose, but made up for it today with that great win from Boulter.

chiefdave

Cracking match and a great win for Boulter. Far too much is being expected of Radacanu with the injuries she's had. She's still young need to be careful not to push her too hard while she's still in her first year on the circuit otherwise she'll just end up constantly injured.

Wonder how long Murray will keep going. He doesn't need the money and it must be a grind when you know you're never going to be the player you once were.

OffenhamSkyBlue

Yeah Raducanu seems to have lost her way rather after her meteoric impact at the US Open. Too much time spent chasing lucrative sponsorship/modelling contracts and not enough time hardening herself up to face the challenges of professional sport. Having to retire from a match because you have blisters on your hand is not being professional. She is still young so may get it back, but she needs to get a better team around her, and not rely on her dad, who is clearly not "King" Richard Williams!

Andy Murray is still coming back from a long injury lay-off, so he deserves some slack for the moment!

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Cracking match and a great win for Boulter. Far too much is being expected of Radacanu with the injuries she's had. She's still young need to be careful not to push her too hard while she's still in her first year on the circuit otherwise she'll just end up constantly injured.

Wonder how long Murray will keep going. He doesn't need the money and it must be a grind when you know you're never going to be the player you once were.
Murray will keep on going until his mum tells him. Which will probably be until one of his kids qualifies. And if none of them are good enough she will disown them.

PeterNdlovu14

A decent effort yesterday from Jack Draper losing out to a seeded opponent in Alex De Minaur.

Clearly has a lot of talent and physically powerful, just a few too many unforced errors/fatigue towards the end. When considering he's only 20 and still relatively new to the tour, it's perhaps not totally surprising.

Nick

Administrator
I really used to love Tennis, would try and play it as much as possible when we could sneak on the courts too.

Don't know if I have just got older and more busy so don't pay as much attention.

I do like Nick Kyrgios though!

stay_up_skyblues

I really used to love Tennis, would try and play it as much as possible when we could sneak on the courts too.

Don't know if I have just got older and more busy so don't pay as much attention.

I do like Nick Kyrgios though!

A right mess this game he’s in. His opponent had points deducted for hitting balls into crowd and straight at him, Kyrgios refusing to play for a bit, usual rows with the umpire. It’s just not tennis 🤣 (although when they do play the standard is good).

Sky Blue Pete

A right mess this game he’s in. His opponent had points deducted for hitting balls into crowd and straight at him, Kyrgios refusing to play for a bit, usual rows with the umpire. It’s just not tennis 🤣 (although when they do play the standard is good).
He should have defaulted!! Commentators very biased against kyrios

jimmyhillsfanclub

He is a tosser, hes still compelling viewing though and hugely entertaining, better than the mass of beigeness thats across all sports these days.

He's also ridiculously talented, and apparently hasn't had a coach for most of his career.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Ha...just imagine trying to coach him.

Sublime tennis... and a great wind-up merchant.

Grendel

His opponent should have been defaulted though, just watched the Novak one mmmmm and the other way round mmmm

He should have been defaulted last game and this game and the rules were deployed correctly

no_loyalty

Two great matches today Sinner was outstanding at times and was unlucky to lose, you have to give credit to Djokovic for the way he fought back from two sets down.

Norrie was very erratic and did well to progress to the SF. I hope I’m wrong but can’t see anything other than a straight sets defeat for him, but hopefully like Murray his time will come.

jimmyhillsfanclub

Anyone really feeling the love for Cam Norrie yet? Anyone?

.....maybe we'll all like him more after his upcoming heroic defeat to Novax

.....I do like the fact he cycles to work though.

Grendel

Anyone really feeling the love for Cam Norrie yet? Anyone?

.....maybe we'll all like him more after his upcoming heroic defeat to Novax

.....I do like the fact he cycles to work though.

Yeah I know what you mean he’s the Keir Starmer of tennis - dull as fuck

Alan Dugdales Moustache

What's with all that buggering about with his shirt and face that Nadal does before every serve. It probably adds 30 minutes to the whole match.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

What's with all that buggering about with his shirt and face that Nadal does before every serve. It probably adds 30 minutes to the whole match.
Noticed it years ago, and it's both infuriating and mesmeric.

Biggest annoyance is him constantly pulling his shorts out of the crack of his arse. Wear bigger fucking shorts!

Grendel

Noticed it years ago, and it's both infuriating and mesmeric.

Biggest annoyance is him constantly pulling his shorts out of the crack of his arse. Wear bigger fucking shorts!

He has OCD

Otis

One of them, don't care which....
Take your bloody headband off. Grrr.

I keep flicking channels, as I am following Borisgate and I can't work out who is who half the time

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

One of them, don't care which....
Take your bloody headband off. Grrr.

I keep flicking channels, as I am following Borisgate and I can't work out who is who half the time
If you're hearing sensible well-spoken commentators it's definitely the tennis.

no_loyalty

Nadal through to the SF, looking likely another Nadal v Djokovic final. I’m hoping someone different for a change.

Users who are viewing this thread