All purpose cricket thread (5 Viewers)

Bertola

I was a massive sceptic about the Hundred, but every game so far has been brilliant. Really enjoying it so far, I also think the Cut Off rule is something that could be adopted for all limited overs games

tisza

London cup - some counties being really adventurous giving lots of kids a chance. Other usual suspects being completely unambitious.

tisza

I haven’t looked today who has not given the kids a go
Some counties like Warks, Sussex,gloucs,somerset giving lots a chance. Then you've got those giving 1 a chance and a load of 25+ years a game,.
Then those that dig up the usual south African / Zimbabwe youngster.
But if you're a youngster don't bother with the likes of Hants,Essex, Glamorgan.
It's a perfect competition to play youngsters in whilst the Hundred is on. Watched Sussex play lancs in the week - 2 sixteen year olds and I think only 1 player over 21. Think there was 4 who still have another year or so of school left May have just lost but they've got a shed load of talent coming through.

Last edited:

Terry Gibson's perm

Some counties like Warks, Sussex,gloucs,somerset giving lots a chance. Then you've got those giving 1 a chance and a load of 25+ years a game,.
Then those that dig up the usual south African / Zimbabwe youngster.
But if you're a youngster don't bother with the likes of Hants,Essex, Glamorgan.
It's a perfect competition to play youngsters in whilst the Hundred is on. Watched Sussex play lancs in the week - 2 sixteen year olds and I think only 1 player over 21. Think there was 4 who still have another year or so of school left May have just lost but they've got a shed load of talent coming through.

Hants and Essex were both very keen on kolpak players for a time. It is refreshing to see the youngsters playing and with the game time they are gaining will soon be replacing some in the hundred.

tisza

Hants and Essex were both very keen on kolpak players for a time. It is refreshing to see the youngsters playing and with the game time they are gaining will soon be replacing some in the hundred.
Kolpak one of the worst things that has happened to county cricket. Made counties lazy particularly on youth development.
At least in the "old" days when it was 2 overseas per county you were getting top quality players but the 12 month international calendar killed that off.
There is some real quality in the game atm in that 19-22 age bracket (particularly in the batting) that hopefully will be staking international recognition soon. If there was ever a time to resurrect the Lions tours it's now (and not just for white ball games)

Terry Gibson's perm

Kolpak one of the worst things that has happened to county cricket. Made counties lazy particularly on youth development.
At least in the "old" days when it was 2 overseas per county you were getting top quality players but the 12 month international calendar killed that off.
There is some real quality in the game atm in that 19-22 age bracket (particularly in the batting) that hopefully will be staking international recognition soon. If there was ever a time to resurrect the Lions tours it's now (and not just for white ball games)

At this time England put produce two or three teams that would beat most countries in white ball and probably a couple of red ball sides that would do the same. With the younger players coming through it could be even more soon.

SkyBlueSoul

Watched The Hundred at Old Trafford last night and had a great time. They could definitely have introduced a load of the things to T20 like the live music, cut off time, in-game DJ/crowd interaction but it works really well, was good to see a load of kids there really excited. Lot of explanation in the form of a video on the scoreboard before the games and over the tannoy during it too.

Still won't rush to watch it on TV but at £16 a ticket and OT a walkable distance from my house will probably go to a few more games

SkyBlueSoul

Wasnt live music, DJs etc part of the T20 before COVID?
Don't ever remember there being a stage on the side of the pitch with bands playing between innings/games but good chance I'm wrong! It's been a while since I went to a Blast game. The DJ felt more involved too, did a lot of talking/hyping in between end changes etc

tisza

I was speaking to a junior coach at our club and he said the kids are loving it already but I am sure they would have loved t20 as much.

The simple thing to do is make them hurry up in the t20
few fireworks, bit of music , "snazzy" colours/graphics and kids will love anything.
Still don't think the cricket itself is any different from T20 just wrapped in different packaging. Run rates etc generally on a par with T20.
Clips I've seen still a lot of empty seats.
If it all comes down to a shorter game then then could have found ways to speed up T20.
Maybe it was all about just finding a way of squeezing new money out of TV/sponsors.

Terry Gibson's perm

few fireworks, bit of music , "snazzy" colours/graphics and kids will love anything.
Still don't think the cricket itself is any different from T20 just wrapped in different packaging. Run rates etc generally on a par with T20.
Clips I've seen still a lot of empty seats.
If it all comes down to a shorter game then then could have found ways to speed up T20.
Maybe it was all about just finding a way of squeezing new money out of TV/sponsors.

I watched a couple of hours from Edgbaston yesterday and the crowd there was terrible a real shame, I’ve watched a bit more of the hundred than I thought I would but I guess I am not the target market as I am happy watching the county championship games on the stream.

I am sure that the t20 was a far quicker game when it first arrived now the captains take far too long over field setting when most of the time the ball is going over the fielders heads

tisza

I watched a couple of hours from Edgbaston yesterday and the crowd there was terrible a real shame, I’ve watched a bit more of the hundred than I thought I would but I guess I am not the target market as I am happy watching the county championship games on the stream.

I am sure that the t20 was a far quicker game when it first arrived now the captains take far too long over field setting when most of the time the ball is going over the fielders heads
If test cricket is supposed to be 15 overs per hour then getting T20 to 20 overs in an hour 15 shouldn't be impossible. Get run penalties or 2nd innings over loss for slow rates would soon fix things.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

If test cricket is supposed to be 15 overs per hour then getting T20 to 20 overs in an hour 15 shouldn't be impossible. Get run penalties or 2nd innings over loss for slow rates would soon fix things.

Trouble they have with it is that bowling teams get punished and batting teams are just as responsible. Players wander down the pitch to chat between balls and flatten the pitch, scratch their marks in, complain about screens/movement in the crowd, ask for new gloves/bats, pull away during the run-up etc. basically just really taking their time getting ready to face the ball.

I admit captains seem to be taking an age over field positions but if the rules are that the bowling team is the one that will be penalised and once the bowler is ready the batter should be then you have to enforce that and just let the bowler run in. Otherwise penalising the bowling team can be unfair.

tisza

Really poor crowd in Wales tonight for the reds against greens.
Is there a limit on tickets available because of COVID? First game at the Oval commentators kept repeating it was a sell-out yet there were lots of empty seats. Saw clips of the game at headingly last week with loads of empty seats .ECB being very coy on how many tickets were freebies (wasps rugby comes to mind).

Terry Gibson's perm

Is there a limit on tickets available because of COVID? First game at the Oval commentators kept repeating it was a sell-out yet there were lots of empty seats. Saw clips of the game at headingly last week with loads of empty seats .ECB being very coy on how many tickets were freebies (wasps rugby comes to mind).

There didn’t look to be anymore than a thousand there

tisza

There didn’t look to be anymore than a thousand there
Going to be hyped by the TV because of their investment.
Be interesting to see TV viewing figures. Maybe return to free-to-air TV hurting attendances?
Obviously lack of star overseas players hurts the appeal.
Still not convinced it's the best thing for the counties to be throwing away July / August opportunities. But the 1.2/1.3m cheque is too big for nearly all counties to ignore.

Terry Gibson's perm

Going to be hyped by the TV because of their investment.
Be interesting to see TV viewing figures. Maybe return to free-to-air TV hurting attendances?
Obviously lack of star overseas players hurts the appeal.
Still not convinced it's the best thing for the counties to be throwing away July / August opportunities. But the 1.2/1.3m cheque is too big for nearly all counties to ignore.
M

Free to air is supposed to add to the appeal.

I watched it last night but the lack of connection to any team just makes it like ipl a load of general people playing cricket.

tisza

M

Free to air is supposed to add to the appeal.

I watched it last night but the lack of connection to any team just makes it like ipl a load of general people playing cricket.
There's an obvious problem. Look at last night's line-ups - probably only 2 star names out of the 22 players -Bairstow & De Kock. That's a hard sell in itself.
Also some slightly flawed thinking in having women's game before the men's. Yes women's game needs promoting but all it does is turn it into a 5-6 hour day which seems to defeat the purpose of having a shorter game (as supposedly a T20 is too long).

Last edited:

tisza

16 year old leg spinners seem to be the fashion - now Leics playing one against the Bears today

David O'Day

What are the attendance rules in Wales? They haven't had the "Freedom day" nonsense we have?

Terry Gibson's perm

Just watched the end of the warks innings v Leicester Matt Lamb made a ton joy out and Ethan Brookes sixty odd. The young spinner for Leicestershire looked more than useful

Terry Gibson's perm

There's an obvious problem. Look at last night's line-ups - probably only 2 star names out of the 22 players -Bairstow & De Kock. That's a hard sell in itself.
Also some slightly flawed thinking in having women's game before the men's. Yes women's game needs promoting but all it does is turn it into a 5-6 hour day which seems to defeat the purpose of having a shorter game (as supposedly a T20 is too long).

Sunil Gavaskar has been giving the hundred a kicking and then loads from India weighing in saying it’s rubbish and nowhere near as good as the ipl, the bits of the ipl I have seen it’s full of second rate Aussies and South Africans.

tisza

Sunil Gavaskar has been giving the hundred a kicking and then loads from India weighing in saying it’s rubbish and nowhere near as good as the ipl, the bits of the ipl I have seen it’s full of second rate Aussies and South Africans.
Agree on the IPL. It's the incredible crowds that mask a pretty average product. Surprised they "waste" money on overseas players as crowds will turn up regardless.

tisza

Have the Indians played no cricket since that game against the counties XI 2 weeks ago?
This Hundred has taken away a lot of focus on what should be a high profile tour against a side that brings huge interest (and income).
Most the England team would have had no red ball cricket for a month by the time the Test starts - let's face they need it after those performances against NZ

CCFCSteve

Stokes is taking a sabbatical to focus/repair his mental health.

Yeah, hope he’s ok. England rushed him back in for Pakistan due to whole team having to self isolate, his finger hadn’t fully recovered/repaired and it appears to have snowballed from there. That combined with the cricket bubbles, plus his dad passing away at the end of last year, not an easy time.

Otis

Watched most of the Hundred and just about every game has been a brilliant watch with a great finish.

Really enjoying it.

Users who are viewing this thread