Alec Baldwin (3 Viewers)

Bugsy

Mr Panda

It's baffling to me that when a prop gun is loaded with something then it is in fact a fucking gun.

When making a prop gun for a film can't you just miss out the mechanism that fires fatal projectile?

wingy

It's baffling to me that when a prop gun is loaded with something then it is in fact a fucking gun.

When making a prop gun for a film can't you just miss out the mechanism that fires fatal projectile?
Well yeah but it's hard to know why he would be pointing in their direction.

shmmeee

Blanks often still fire something apparently.

Guy on R4 this morning way saying since Brandon Lee how guns are handled on set has changed massively and generally everyone in line would have protective gear and be behind Perspex even though the gun has blanks and he can’t understand how this has happened

shmmeee

Well yeah but it's hard to know why he would be pointing in their direction.

Guy on R4 mentioned this as well, quite a common shot is to have the person shooting towards the camera so aiming at the crew rather than another actor.

skybluetony176

If it’s anything like Brandon Lee’s death the bullet case failed and fragmented so was ejected as shrapnel, a piece of which hit him in the heart killing him. Completely freak occurrence.

Grendel

skybluegod

Blanks often still fire something apparently.

Guy on R4 this morning way saying since Brandon Lee how guns are handled on set has changed massively and generally everyone in line would have protective gear and be behind Perspex even though the gun has blanks and he can’t understand how this has happened

They do yes, the 'gun' will fire in an almost identical fashion minus the actual bullet, but still very dangerous as it fires out gas at high speeds (as well as other small materials). It's why the military use BFA's on the end of rifles so when we simulate firefights we can 'shoot' at each other without the risk of injury (as long as attached properly). Unfortunately I imagine these aren't used on sets as they would ruin the realism of the weapon.

dutchman

Lots of contradictory reports. Yesterday it was said the gun contained a 'single live round'. Today the sheriff's department says the gun was 'fully loaded' and it's 'unclear how many rounds were fired'.

rob9872

Why Iin today's film world do we even need blanks? I always assumed not loaded and they put sound effects over, but guess not.

Otis

Some bizarre tweets from him in the past

He's always had anger issues. Absolutely nothing points to any of that in this circumstance though.

I don't get the blanks in the gun either. I have been on film sets. It can all be done in the editing process of sound effects and special effects.

🤷

OffenhamSkyBlue

According to court papers, this was a real gun. Not a stunt gun, prop gun or even a replica. And allegedly there were multiple bullets found at the scene.
Sure, Alec Baldwin should not have pointed the gun directly at someone, but the armourer should be charged with whatever is the US equivalent of our "manslaughter by gross negligence".

shmmeee

According to court papers, this was a real gun. Not a stunt gun, prop gun or even a replica. And allegedly there were multiple bullets found at the scene.
Sure, Alec Baldwin should not have pointed the gun directly at someone, but the armourer should be charged with whatever is the US equivalent of our "manslaughter by gross negligence".

I read that the crew were using it with live rounds to do target practice during breaks. Also that it was checked by two people before they gave it to the actor, someone’s going down for gross negligence definitely.

OffenhamSkyBlue

You have to assume that AB hadn't conspired with the armourer to set it up to look like an accident but had something against the woman he shot.
I suspect the Yanks call this "involuntary second degree homicide misdemeanor (sic)" or something equally nebulous!

wingy

You have to assume that AB hadn't conspired with the armourer to set it up to look like an accident but had something against the woman he shot.
I suspect the Yanks call this "involuntary second degree homicide misdemeanor (sic)" or something equally nebulous!
The girl armerour was very inexperienced and guy responsible to make she was doing her job correctly has received severe critism, even sacked off a recent film for safety failings I believe.
Point is it's hard to imagine a scenario where you're rehearsing with the person responsible for capturing the scene and you're pointing a weapon in their direction whatever is inside it.
I expect there will have not been a lot of structure to the enterprise with mostly freelance unfamiliar) unconnected staff and not much ethos about safety /wellness etc.
As a side issue it seems there is a lot of industrial action going on around overall conditions they work under.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

I don't get the blanks in the gun either. I have been on film sets. It can all be done in the editing process of sound effects and special effects.

🤷

Don´t think it was that kind of film mate...

giphy.gif

Users who are viewing this thread