Aidy Boothroyd (4 Viewers)

procdoc

No way he takes that job, if he wants back into management there are many clubs that will give him a job he'd take before the U21s
If the FA pay him the same wedge as he’d get a club he’d definitely take it. As other posters have alluded to it’s the path Southgate took

David O'Day

If the FA pay him the same wedge as he’d get a club he’d definitely take it. As other posters have alluded to it’s the path Southgate took

Southgate only got the job because Allardyce managed to sack himself. Apart from Taylor and I think maybe Wilkinson who had a game as temp manager there is no proven "path" from U21 manager to full team manager.

Howe would take a club job over U21 any day of the week. To say otherwise is simply deluded.

procdoc

Southgate only got the job because Allardyce managed to sack himself. Apart from Taylor and I think maybe Wilkinson who had a game as temp manager there is no proven "path" from U21 manager to full team manager.

Howe would take a club job over U21 any day of the week. To say otherwise is simply deluded.
You are right but it might be a direction England look to go in. I’m not saying he would be interested but no harm asking him lol

Terry Gibson's perm

Don’t see where Howe gets much work he is always linked with Newcastle and not much else another manager that’s reputation out ways his success and ability.

David O'Day

Don’t see where Howe gets much work he is always linked with Newcastle and not much else another manager that’s reputation out ways his success and ability.

He's also being heavily linked with Celtic if he fancies the Brendan Rodgers path to football management redemption but to be truthful all he has to do is wait a few months and jobs will open up.

No way does someone who sees himself as a top manager take a placeholder "development" job like the U21.

Grendel

Once we got found out that season there was no plan b.

Sisu had by then withdrawn funding and the rails were falling off. To Boothroyds credit he never complained about the transfer embargo and when that utter cretin thorn was worshipped by fans the owners must have pissed themselves laughing

Grendel

He’s the next Alan Curbishley

Terry Gibson's perm

He's also being heavily linked with Celtic if he fancies the Brendan Rodgers path to football management redemption but to be truthful all he has to do is wait a few months and jobs will open up.

No way does someone who sees himself as a top manager take a placeholder "development" job like the U21.

The only people that haven’t been linked with the Celtic job are me and you (maybe you have😉)

procdoc

Sisu had by then withdrawn funding and the rails were falling off. To Boothroyds credit he never complained about the transfer embargo and when that utter cretin thorn was worshipped by fans the owners must have pissed themselves laughing
I’d take you as manager over Thorn, G 😉

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

There was a point made during yesterday’s game that a lot of the potential u21s were getting called up to the first team and that was hampering the quality (not sure I buy that, to be honest). I’ve thought for years that young players should do a full campaign of u21 internationals before being considered for the first team. More playing experience and also (hopefully) a level of tournament experience. Don’t really see the need for Bellingham to be in the full squad at 17, no matter how good he is or may be.

I agree. I'd rather see a youngster play a competitive U21 than a full friendly. Similarly anyone available for U21 tournaments, regardless of if they're usually part of the main squad, should play in them unless they're going to be a major part of the first team in a tournament at the same time. Tournament experience is rare so every bit they can get is worthwhile. If a player thinks they're above that it tells you a hell of a lot about their mentality.

We've got some decent U21 players, especially in attacking areas that are regulars for their clubs. Saka, James, Sancho, Foden, Hudson-Odoi, Smith-Rowe, Bellingham, Greenwood.

Mind you it doesn't help if you've got such a lot of attacking talent when you've got two managers who are so defensive minded they'll leave them out to play an extra DCM anyway.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I don't rate Southgate but then don't see the point of replacing him either. Who with? His results are about what they should be overall. You'd certainly keep him until after the Euros given where we are.

As for the golden generation, unfortunately the talent wasn't as well distributed and different members of that generation peaked at different times, so not sure there was ever a golden period. Didn't often get much luck either.

Around 2002 we potentially had a team that was more than capable of winning a tournament but as you say some we still young, others a bit past their prime. Then inevitably you get a couple who miss tournaments due to injury.

We went out of a lot of competitions around that time on pens or had players make stupid errors or rash decisions that cost us.

Gregbant

I am still amazed that Boothroyd got that role considering the FA were talking about road maps and blue prints to the senior team.

Last edited:

Gregbant

Big error by Ranson bringing him to CCFC, teams worked out he was a one trick wonder and that was it our season capitulated. Pretty sure we were in the top 5 at one point from memory it was a horrible disappointment, glad that period of time is over (shudder)

Grendel

Big error by Ranson bringing him to CCFC, teams worked out he was a one trick wonder and that was it our season capitulated. Pretty sure we were in the top 5 at one point from memory it was a horrible disappointment, glad that period of time is over (shudder)

He was still a million times better than the useless lazy slob that took over from him wasn’t he Greg?

Gregbant

He was still a million times better than the useless lazy slob that took over from him wasn’t he Greg?

That was Ranson's choice as well so don't really get your point, however thank you for the Greg acknowledgement it took a while, but is not missed and is appreciated. 👍

Users who are viewing this thread