Match Thread AFC Wimbledon v Coventry (2 Viewers)

harvey098

Chelsea away. At least we don't have to have the argument about points.

First good draw in years and we miss out.

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

Wouldn’t we have been a different ball number anyway? (I didn’t watch the draw so not sure if the ball was our tie or alphabetical)

shmmeee

Says straight up we’re making changes to get everyone fit and not for tactical reasons. Basically the “still friendlies” view?

Ccfcisparks

Says straight up we’re making changes to get everyone fit and not for tactical reasons. Basically the “still friendlies” view?
100%, its always the way he's seen the league cup. I'd be interested to know how many times we have lost the opening league game and the opening cup game.

GaryJones

"It's a bad habit," Robins reflected. "It's a brilliant goal, their second one, but I don't think we deserved anything anyway. We could've won if we'd have done things right, but we didn't. We didn't pick the right passes out and went too long at times. It was unlike us. We couldn't get to grips with our midfield and really they should've been a couple of goals up before the penalty.
"We were lucky coming in one up at half time, and we spoke about it, about how to put things right and be better. We end up looking poor in the second half too. It's a new team, so I have to be careful what I am saying, and we're making substitutions for physical rather than tactical reasons at the moment because we're trying to get everyone fit.
"We just couldn't get going. With the substitutions we made, when Gus comes off - and he's not up to speed just yet, he needs more minutes under his belt - it doesn't link very well at the moment and that is something we have to work on. It's a work in progress and the games come thick and fast. We just didn't cope with them well enough tonight, which is majorly disappointing."
There is a need for patience, of course. Robins gave five players full debuts at Plough Lane, and while there were promising signs here and there, clearly cohesion and a need to gel remains at the forefront of Robins' priorities right now. He is certain that, in time, as players build up minutes and spend more time developing understanding, that'll come.

GaryJones

"We have new players in," he added. "Haji [Wright] goes through, and if he passes across where there are two players then it's a tap-in. That's at 1-0, and if you go 2-0 up then it's really game done. We didn't take that second chance and you then run the risk. They get a goal back and their tails are up. You expect to defend properly.
"Milan [van Ewijk] had run his race. We bring Josh on, the ball gets played over - we didn't deal with it on the other side of the pitch - and it's a brilliant finish. From us, it's so poor and you are just ruing the missed opportunities. It was disjointed but it wasn't all that surprising because of the turnaround and the change and the team - it didn't look like a team in the middle of the park - but things will get better."

djr8369

Which was pretty obvious, as the whole team were hanging out their arses after 80 mins on Saturday, and he’s given everyone time tonight, yet a few still got a dig in about his subs.

DannyThomas_1981

who missed the majority of the chances, was it evenly split amongst the strikers?
honestly hard to tell under those floodlights in the second half Sparksy particularly as we were at the other end! non-league quality lights in what is a very nice small stadium.

has anyone commented on the contingent of USA fans who showed up to our left - first time I've seen that at a City game? also liked the fact that we had a Japan flag in our end.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

He sets the bar high so that when we don’t hit it, he can say “told you so about Robins”… he’s been doing it for years and every time Robins smashes it 😂 just take what he says with the pinch of salt he unintentionally puts on.
Wright would still put it over the top ;)

Ashdown

I thought from his highlights reels he’s the kind of players who fans will complain about. Looks clumsy because he’s big. People moaned about Vik as well. People are stupid and can’t look past atheistics.
Vik was class…..and worked his bollocks off for the entire season….let’s see what his replacements can do ?

djr8369

"It's a bad habit," Robins reflected. "It's a brilliant goal, their second one, but I don't think we deserved anything anyway. We could've won if we'd have done things right, but we didn't. We didn't pick the right passes out and went too long at times. It was unlike us. We couldn't get to grips with our midfield and really they should've been a couple of goals up before the penalty.
"We were lucky coming in one up at half time, and we spoke about it, about how to put things right and be better. We end up looking poor in the second half too. It's a new team, so I have to be careful what I am saying, and we're making substitutions for physical rather than tactical reasons at the moment because we're trying to get everyone fit.
"We just couldn't get going. With the substitutions we made, when Gus comes off - and he's not up to speed just yet, he needs more minutes under his belt - it doesn't link very well at the moment and that is something we have to work on. It's a work in progress and the games come thick and fast. We just didn't cope with them well enough tonight, which is majorly disappointing."
There is a need for patience, of course. Robins gave five players full debuts at Plough Lane, and while there were promising signs here and there, clearly cohesion and a need to gel remains at the forefront of Robins' priorities right now. He is certain that, in time, as players build up minutes and spend more time developing understanding, that'll come.
Uncharacteristic of MR to be that harsh.

Fergusons_Beard

I’ll be happy if possession and shots stays at this level throughout the year.
33654f0380c9e2a99975da59671a12ed.jpg

Our forwards will come good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Annoyingly I was doing a pub quiz and the draw came up on the screen in the bar to show Wimbledon playing Chelsea away. Up until that point we were winning 1-0 and I had to put my phone away.

What a shit bunch of cunts.

Brighton Sky Blue

Robins thinks we were lucky to be one up??
I don’t particularly agree with much of his comments, the opposition really threatened very little for most of the game up to the goal. Midfield was doing fine in breaking through the lines, the back 3 looked solid.

As on Sunday however, terrible finishing was the main problem. Though Eccles allowing his man all the time and space to pick out top bins was kind.

Users who are viewing this thread