Accrington Away (2 Viewers)

To be fair the boys upped their game today after the shambles at Wrexham.

But it does look like Thomas and Hussey are on their way out... :D

And Wood was definitely off after the Wrexham game... Who knows. I suspect Wood is still the most likely of the trio to leave, but I wouldn't be surprised to see them all start the season in Sky Blue (Thomas potentially off the bench if we have a new look midfield).

Otis

Does this now mean we're going to win the league again. :thinking about:

Nope. Still concern.

Tuesday set a lot of people into panic because we were described as being 'woefully inept' and this was on the back of another performance last Saturday where Andy Thorn was really angry. That is just not acceptable.

Word is today that Accrington were all over us until we went 2-0 up, so obviously today could quite easily have gone the same way as those previous two games.

Some people on here say friendlies don't matter, but I find that entirely incorrect. Winning breeds confidence. You want to be winning games at whatever level.

If it didn't matter then why was the manager so angry after those two defeats?

Word is that once we were 2-0 up we were playing with confidence and were a much better side.

Hopefully the win will mean we can go into our next game full of belief rather than on the back foot.

Anyway, in summary, for me concerns are still there. Hoping Jennings comes and is as good as they say he is. That would be a great boost to us.

Last edited:
I am striving for objectivity until I have seen us play a game this season. Win, lose or draw in pre-season, the first game I am likely to get to is Yeovil. I am looking forward to the start of the season. I don't know enough about the other League 1 teams or our new players to say how we will fare. But I don't have an agenda against Thorn or the new players, so am perfectly content to try to form opinions on what I see, rather than guesswork around friendlies.

Nope. Still concern.

Tuesday set a lot of people into panic because we were described as being 'woefully inept' and this was on the back of another performance last Saturday where Andy Thorn was really angry. That is just not acceptable.

Word is today that Accrington were all over us until we went 2-0 up, so obviously today could quite easily have gone the same way as those previous two games.

Some people on here say friendlies don't matter, but I find that entirely incorrect. Winning breeds confidence. You want to be winning games at whatever level.

If it didn't matter then why was the manager so angry after those two defeats?

Word is that once we were 2-0 up we were playing with confidence and were a much better side.

Hopefully the win will mean we can go into our next game full of belief rather than on the back foot.

Anyway, in summary, for me concerns are still there. Hoping Jennings comes and is as good as they say he is. That would be a great boost to us.

Chelsea have now lost their last three freindlies to Brighton, Milan and the MLS allstars. Somehow I don't think they will lose their confidence as FREINDLIES ARE ONLY GOOD FOR FITNESS.

Otis

So why was Thorn so angry then? Doesn't make sense. He has no right to be angry if friendlies are only good for fitness.

Totally disagree with you. What you want as a manager is to build up fitness, but also to tinker with systems, try a few things out. You are also trying to get systems and players and formations to gel. What you want are half decent performances from your players.

No-one can accept 'woefully inept' performances and AT was quite rightly angry about those two previous games.

You don't think we lost confidence after losing 4 in a row? How come we didn't go into the game with confidence today then? Word is Accrington were all over us. Had we gone into the game with confidence we would have probably took the game to them rather than the other way round.

Results aren't that important but you do want good performances from your side whilst building up fitness levels.

AFCCOVENTRY

i think it's good we won today and our attacking players got the goals.

I have always said that Cody will get 20+ easy in L1 and it's good to see he is always in the right positions.

Also good to see Fleck roaming around and I think his through balls for Cody will be key.

Barton will add some flair with passing from the centre but a Jennings type of player next to him who is a workhorse and tackler could be a very interesting pairing.

Would be good to see Thorn still go after a winger to add to the squad.

Bruno - who knows... i don't think we have seen enough of Ball either so who is better? We defo need another striker in.

SkyBlue_Bear83

Does anyone know if Hussey is unfit or not being selected at the moment. Wood and Malaga sound a very promising partnership at the moment, Edge has sounded suspect so far according to people on here.

woody11462

i think it's good we won today and our attacking players got the goals.

I have always said that Cody will get 20+ easy in L1 and it's good to see he is always in the right positions.

Also good to see Fleck roaming around and I think his through balls for Cody will be key.

Barton will add some flair with passing from the centre but a Jennings type of player next to him who is a workhorse and tackler could be a very interesting pairing.

Would be good to see Thorn still go after a winger to add to the squad.

Bruno - who knows... i don't think we have seen enough of Ball either so who is better? We defo need another striker in.

Thought Ball looked a lot better as the game went on and showed good strength and some good touches the more confident he got.

woody11462

Does anyone know if Hussey is unfit or not being selected at the moment. Wood and Malaga sound a very promising partnership at the moment, Edge has sounded suspect so far according to people on here.

I've been wanting to see Kilbane at full back but after today not sure if he is the answer to left back. Wood looked very good but if he's the highest earner they will try and get rid of him. I thought the Edge did ok at times today but as the game went on, Accrington went a bit more direct and he struggled with that. Him and Malaga probation ain't used to facing that style of play and may take some time to adapt. So for that reason it is essential that we keep Wood as we need someone with experience of English football as they are bedded in to the team.

Otis

Yep, that looks strong. Been talk surrounding both Wood and Hussey being on their way though.

Skybluewoody

After seeing today's match. I don't think it's unfair to say even at 3-0 Accrington were the much better team first half. Looked a very soft pen for the first goal.
The edge and wood didn't look comfortable in the first half. What was worse was kilbane at lb and the edge playing the left sided centre back . You think the two of them had never played together before. Kilbane never got close to his man in the first 30 mins and as captain didn't seem to be organising the side. Shaw and AT giving kilbane and the edge plenty of advice in that first half .
Brown didn't start well in the def mid role but was injured really before proper judgement could be made. Saying that accringtons midfield was sharper, quicker to the ball and there number 4 always wanted the ball and always played the simple pass .
Wood was outstanding today, god helps us if he is sold he seemed the only one organising at the back.
Cody was also excellent running the channels and creating space for himself

ccfcdan

What was worse was kilbane at lb and the edge playing the left sided centre back . You think the two of them had never played together before.

They have not played together in defence before!

Skybluewoody

What was worse was kilbane at lb and the edge playing the left sided centre back . You think the two of them had never played together before.

They have not played together in defence before!

Because obviously they don't see each other in training or practice together in those positions?

Hateley's Heed

Wood maybe the top earner but I agree with Woody's comment above that we need someone at centre half to marshall the back 4 who knows the league and has enough experience in english football. 1 of Cameron, Malaga or the Edge to partner him alongside Hussey and Clarke at full back looks good. I also think he is the ideal candidate for captain, done the job previously at Sheff Weds before joining us.

Skybluewoody

Fleck was still hobbling as they walked off after the match so I think it was definitely a muscle pull or strain rather than cramp
Also the edge walked off with no boots so whether thats what was causing him to look like he was in pain during the game?

Diehard Si

Fleck was still hobbling as they walked off after the match so I think it was definitely a muscle pull or strain rather than cramp
Also the edge walked off with no boots so whether thats what was causing him to look like he was in pain during the game?
Bad cramp can give a slight muscle strain though

ampthill_sba

Having done the 400 mile round trip to see Cov v AS today I am very pleased to have made the effort. After the rather tedious start the team played really well in patches leaving me with a renewed optimism for the season ahead.

Conclusions from today:
* Bruno made some good touches but I still don't feel he's what we need.
* Ball will improve and be useful
* Wood, Clarke and Murphy will be excellent quality for League 1.
* Edjenguele needs match practice and AT knows this; he improved significantly in second half.
* Brown is poor :(
* Fleck, Baker, McSheffrey, McDonald and Ball can actually pass together well.
* Daniels is one for the near future but a loose pass will cost us a goal. His role today as holding midfield will be Thomas's but until he's fit it might be a new signing or poss Kilbane.
* Kilbane is too slow for a full back; bring back Hussey
* Feed Cody and he will score
* McSheff HAS still got it
* We need cover for left back and defensive midfield plus a striker that has speed

ampthill_sba

Daniels played as a holding midfielder? :eek:

Yes after Brown went off. Brown was played deep in midfield from the start and was poor here. When Brown went off, on came McSheffrey and Daniels went from right side, Baker switched from left to right and Shef went to left side = instant improvement as the 2-0 lead was not deserved.

ampthill_sba

Also Roy O'D played in the hole behind the front two when he came on for Fleck... Not enough time to show if he can play this role...but methinks not!

S

SkyBlue Baker96

Wishing I could of gone to any of the previous pre season friendlies and not being able to go home matches this season as working but judging from what people are saying majority of it is positive, some of theses players have only been together 3/4 weeks seems a long time but when there is only 1 match a week it will take longer to gel as a unit edge will take time to settle into the English football, malaga will be our best cb and probably in the league too, glad wood is back, seems as though AT really likes playing edge as since he has signed played a part in every pre season friendly? Don't think Bruno will get a contract by the sounds of it him and ball are exactly a like, we only need one, can't wait for the season, 3 singings 2 CM and a winger, don't feel we need another striker, with what we have got atm I.e cody, fleck,baker,sheff, Elliot,ball they I feel will all score plenty for us this season, we need a technically gifted cm who can play short simple passes but mix it up, Norwood type player to control the midfield and to break up play, then we have a very good foundation to build a unit who will all perform to the maximum potential and do really well for us

ampthill_sba

malaga will be our best cb and probably in the league too, glad wood is back, seems as though AT really likes playing edge as since he has signed played a part in every pre season friendly?

I definitely feel that the reason Edjenguele is playing every game is that AT knows he needs lots to get sharp whereas Malaga is already class and will have the chance to play with Wood v Port Vale and Bristol Rovers.

woody11462

I think from today's performance against what I've heard in other recent games, we look a lot better with two up front. And if we wanna play Fleck in the hole then it's gonna have to be the diamond formation.

dongonzalos

Having to play Daniels in the holding role. Proves we are now three signings off the playoffs.

One injury to Thomas who is not even a senior pro and we are struggling and having to play people out of position.

ampthill_sba

Having to play Daniels in the holding role. Proves we are now three signings off the playoffs.

One injury to Thomas who is not even a senior pro and we are struggling and having to play people out of position.

I can only assume that he is thinking about options for midfield with giving Daniels a shot, RO'D had a go at the top of the diamond, Thomas and Kilbane can hold, Jennings/Barton could too I guess? Brown is meant to be able to... Bring back Clingan?

Nonleagueherewecome

Well not really, as if Hussey had been playing (as he will most weeks unless we sell him), Kilbane is another option in the holding role. Although from what I've seen and read about Kilbane, his legs have gone too much to play wide, but he doesn't know the position of CM-so I wonder where the hell we can actually play him..

And I think you have to treat Thomas as a senior pro now, considering that the manager might yet make him captain!

Ultimately, I think-and hope-the first choice DMC will be Jennings, with Kilbane and Thomas the other options and Thomas probably starting higher up the pitch. If we play the 4-1-2-1-2 at all, that is.

Users who are viewing this thread