----------------------------------------------------------- line 2
-------------------Daniels (ST)------------------------- line 1

Compared with last season's usual shape:

-------------Platt(ST)--------Cody (ST)--------------- line 5
------------------Sheff (AMLC)------------------------- line 4
----------------------------------------------------------- line 3
-------------Norwood (CM)--Thomas (MC)--------- line 2
---------------------Clin-gone (DMC)------------------ line 1

The key difference is in line's 3 and 2. The two provisional "CM's" (ie the one's not at the base or the tip) are now a "line" higher up the pitch. The compact, narrow midfield comprising 3 CM's is now a DMC and two AM's, with more width. The personal are much more attack orientated, even to the point where the DM is a ST!

It was probably entirely by accident, and due to the lack of natural CM's. It will probably change a lot with the additions of Jennings and Barton, who I'd expect to fill the DMC and CM role with Thomas or Kilbane the other CM. But, honestly, in this division, I'd rather go with an attacking 5 rather than an attacking 3. And it's a lot closer to the Thorn set-up that actually worked, the season before, when Bell was often one of the CM's.

Last edited:

Mucca Mad Boys

Having to play Daniels in the holding role. Proves we are now three signings off the playoffs.

One injury to Thomas who is not even a senior pro and we are struggling and having to play people out of position.

You're boring, we played Daniels there to try him out... Kilbane will play there if we don't sign Jennings, which we probably will... we're not struggling at all!

ccfcway

AT also said Barton deal is "more or less done" and also said they treid a different formation at Wrexham, which they considered playing away from home this eason, but "obviously we wont be now"

AT also said Barton deal is "more or less done" and also said they treid a different formation at Wrexham, which they considered playing away from home this eason, but "obviously we wont be now"

This has been my only real concern with friendly performances and results. As long as Thorn is learning in readiness for the new season, I could handle getting beaten every fixture. I want him to get workable plans in terms of players, positions and systems ready for the start of the competitive season. Know who he likes and doesn't like where. Have thoughts about systems against relative big boys vs. minnows, home vs. away and so on. Know that he is under some pressure and being determined to come out right at the end of it. Everything else becomes vanity if it works out where it matters.

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
so am i right in thinking that we played the diamond whilst Brown was on then it became 4 4 2............ well that was the details i thought i heard on CWR. Or did it switch back to the diamond for most of the game

Said before I am not bothered about the results of friendlies but what was the performance like. My understanding is that for the first 20 minutes or more we were poor..... we then took an undeserved 2 nil lead .... then started to pass the ball around (but against League 2 sides and 2 nil up we should have confidence to pass it around.)... but Accrington were still in the game even at 4 nil down......

What I would like to know is

- was it a solid display ?
- was it a better team performance ?
- did we look in control of the game or did we get lucky to some degree ?
- did we look organised ?
- did it seem that we had found a formation that worked ?
- what remains unanswered?

Last edited:

woody11462

so am i right in thinking that we played the diamond whilst Brown was on then it became 4 4 2............ well that was the details i thought i heard on CWR. Or did it switch back to the diamond for most of the game

Said before I am not bothered about the results of friendlies but what was the performance like. My understanding is that for the first 20 minutes or more we were poor..... we then took an undeserved 2 nil lead .... then started to pass the ball around (but against League 2 sides and 2 nil up we should have confidence to pass it around.)... but Accrington were still in the game even at 4 nil down......

What I would like to know is

- was it a solid display ?
- was it a better team performance ?
- did we look in control of the game or did we get lucky to some degree ?
- did we look organised ?
- did it seem that we had found a formation that worked ?
- what remains unanswered?

I think it probably did actually stay as the diamond OSB but Daniels was a bit more adventurous with his roaming than Clingan was last year. In answer to your other questions (as best as I can)

- It started off very poorly with Brown starting slow and Baker and Daniels not being experienced centre midfielders, they bosses the game and advanced the ball far to easily. But the shape looked a lot more solid after we scored and seemed to up the tempo. It's clear to me confidence is important if we wanna do well this year.
- As above and from what I've heard commentary wise and read, it was a much better team performance AFTER we scored.
- Again after we scored we began to impose ourselves. Accrington didn't really create much in their time wit the ball, put a few balls into the box but I was worried about how easily they moved the ball about. The second half was a different story and we looked a class above, playing some excellent football. That is until they scored and seemed to see more of the play again.
- as above!
- This formation, when Brown went off seemed to work ok. They've played it before and as Ball got into the game, we always seemed to have a pass forward to feet as an option which allowed us to play a few through balls or hold up the play.
- I think for me what needs answering is how the players will perform in the games that matter. Accrington started quickly and played well BUT eased off as the game went on which seemed to spark us into life. In the league done of these battling teams will be playing 100mph all game and if our passing game is off and movement isn't good, we need a plan B, C, etc.

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
cheers woody :) ................ i also think the speed and movement of the team will be key together with the passing. I really do not think if we pass it around our box like last season we will achieve much, we have to be much more progressive and put real pressure on other teams.

Users who are viewing this thread