Accringto,I mean,Coventry City? Who Are They? (1 Viewer)

baldy

Being born & living in Brum,when it comes to talking football with people,the minute I mention I support Cov some people still say 'Coventry? What division are THEY in?'

When did we go off 'the radar' with people? (If we were even on it that is) - Find it mildly annoying

Covkid1968#

I work in brum…. They are all wrapped up in their Villa Blues thing. I seem to amuse them.

ajsccfc

I'd say 2001 for a lot of people. We were the team getting away with relegation scraps from the top division forever but once you're in the second tier or below the only fans who stay aware of you tend to be that season's opponents and any bitter rivals, and we don't really have any of the latter

baldy

I'd say 2001 for a lot of people. We were the team getting away with relegation scraps from the top division forever but once you're in the second tier or below the only fans who stay aware of you tend to be that season's opponents and any bitter rivals, and we don't really have any of the latter

Just irks me when people say thick things like 'Have they even got a football team?' - we're not that shit in the eyes of some people surely

baldy

It all makes sense now. Ha ha
Brummy prick*

*half joking

giphy.gif

PurpleBin

Live in Liverpool. Had it a few times when talking about City with them up here, comments like...

"Aww bless"

That being said, the majority of reds and blues I speak to or know generally know their football and speak fondly about games against us in the past tbf.

no_loyalty

I work in brum…. They are all wrapped up in their Villa Blues thing. I seem to amuse them.

I hope you took the piss out of the Claret and Blue half this morning, they would have all been in tears 😂

B-Ban-Boogie

Try saying you support Coventry City here you fuckingmelts
Most replies I get are.. "Coventry? So what Prem team do you support then?"
To which I reply "I don't because i'm not a plastic fuck!"

The weirdest one in 16 years was when i was in Texas last year at a Rodeo..
Proper Yankie doodle types in there.
One guy, who had travelled from Kentucky to see it, heard my accent and proceeded to show me his 'Liverpool' wallet and was rather excited to tell me about his love for the "Liverbirds' :rolleyes:

Very out the blue that was!! :ROFLMAO:

I did educate him on the Mighty Sky Blues though..(y)😊

Last edited:

SkyBlueSoul

Being born & living in Brum,when it comes to talking football with people,the minute I mention I support Cov some people still say 'Coventry? What division are THEY in?'

When did we go off 'the radar' with people? (If we were even on it that is) - Find it mildly annoying

I get that response a lot in Manchester too. The second most popular is something along the lines of “Can you even call that watching football?”

giphy.gif

baldy

I get that response a lot in Manchester too. The second most popular is something along the lines of “Can you even call that watching football?”

giphy.gif

Eurgh such a wrong & thick perception - most of the time the comments come from glory hunters anyway who've never even set foot in Old Trafford/Anfield etc etc

Torquay Sky Blue

Not too bad down here . I play footy with a couple of Cov fans and know 2 or 3 in the local.
One things for sure when you see a cov shirt down here the wearer is definitely from Cov and not a glory boy

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

If I meet someone who supports Man U I always say, really what part of Manchester are you from (its where I was born ) but I support my local team PUSB

giphy.gif

COV

One guy, who had travelled from Kentucky to see it, heard my accent and proceeded to show me his 'Liverpool' wallet and was rather excited to tell me about his love for the "Liverbirds' :rolleyes:

going all the way to Texas for a rodeo is some commitment

Liquid Gold

Not even Bristol City can get away with that, not historically anyway.
Rovers are certain they're bigger than City so that has to put them on par with us at least!

Meanwhile in the real world their stadium has more tents than Glastonbury.

Yorkshire SB

Live and work in Leeds. Always found you get plenty of respect from fans of other clubs. Plenty of Yorkshire clubs including Leeds have had a tough time, it’s a respect of the struggle!

Terry_dactyl

It can infuriate for sure…
Slightly different point but…I live in Cardiff and a bloke (Man Utd fan obviously) I play football with was really patronising about me in the group chat about me going to watch Newport vs City…in the rain! It went something like “fair play that’s dedication. In all weathers too. What a legend etc etc etc etc”. Dickhead. I’ve probably been to old Trafford (once) more than that prick!

Anyway, I do find myself quite often wincing before revealing my allegiances. I’m not sure what this means.

stay_up_skyblues

I find the plastic fans are the ones who are full of shit. Genuine fans of any side are usually respectful and only give the banter out when you actually play them.

Yep spot on. Had a meeting on Wednesday just gone with two older chaps. Villa memorabilia on the director’s office wall and other chap was a Wolves fan. Started with a football chat obviously and we sat round for half hour going over past results between our clubs, ex and current players/transfers and the season ahead. It’s the same with my mates who support various teams.

I did have a giggle when Grealish went though, the bloke was adamant he wouldn’t leave and expected serious trophies within a few years.

It’s the (usually below their 30s) plastics and flag wavers that are condescending and give it some. And my standard response is to ask how much their season ticket cost.

Users who are viewing this thread