Aaron Phillips (1 Viewer)

ScottChegg

David Phillips has just tweeted this @7777dp: No Aaron today, disappointed , deflated, that's me .Ccfc ultra defensive !!! @AndyTurnerccfc #pusb

Bit surprised? Don't know who he'll pick at right back now?

Sky Blue Harry H

That's a bit naughty - why leak info that can only aid the opposition? I wouldn't be happy if I was TM

Otis

Would guess at Dion Kelly-Evans perhaps, though probably move Ricketts over and bring Martin in.

That leaves us with no cover whatsoever in the centre of defence though does it. :facepalm:

This squad is incredibly thin. We are already scratching our heads as to how we can possibly cover things and we are only 5 games into the season. :eek:

ScottChegg

DP says that he's not injured either so you'd assume Dion Kelly Evans will at least make the bench... Just seems like a strange decision to leave Phillips out of what looks like a thin squad

fernandopartridge

Would guess at Dion Kelly-Evans perhaps, though probably move Ricketts over and bring Martin in.

That leaves us with no cover whatsoever in the centre of defence though does it. :facepalm:

This squad is incredibly thin. We are already scratching our heads as to how we can possibly cover things and we are only 5 games into the season. :eek:

How many squads will carry 3 right backs?

Grendel

Centre of defence I am talking about. If Martin plays we have no cover.

But we have 7 defenders in the squad with first team experience few have more than that.

skybluepm2

He should keep his mouth shut instead of throwing his toys out of the pram because his son isn't playing. Here you go Burton.....

I like Phillips but he's hardly pulled up any trees this season and didn't help his cause by giving away a penalty the other night. TM knows what he's doing.

Grendel

Otis

And besides, we have all pretty much agreed we don't expect Ricketts to play every game at his age and TM has already said we need to treat Read really carefully too.

Otis

He has said we are going defensive too?

Only just picked that up myself, Nick. Didn't read the tweet properly. When he said 'no Aaron today' I thought he must be injured, but at the end of the tweet he writes 'CCFC ultra-defensive,' so that sounds like a tactical ploy by TM to shore things up.

Must be Ricketts, Reda, Martin, Stokes.

PVA

Ricketts, Martin, Reda, Stokes

Right decision. Burton are quite physical with some big tall players.

Phillips isn't good enough defensively. Everyone was clamouring for him to start because Willis doesn't offer enough going forwards but he's a better rb than Phillips.

Otis

Ricketts, Martin, Reda, Stokes

Right decision. Burton are quite physical with some big tall players.

Phillips isn't good enough defensively. Everyone was clamouring for him to start because Willis doesn't offer enough going forwards but he's a better rb than Phillips.

Tend to agree .... to a degree.

Philips is fine going forwards, but he does show a lot of weakness when he is defending and does have a habit of diving in or not stopping balls coming over into the box.

If we had a combination of Willis and Philips we'd have a pretty good full back on our books.

johnwillomagic

I'd be surprised if Phillips is not in the 18.......unless he is injured or something has happened inside the camp
Could be a compete load of bollocks of course and he starts right back not ruling that out either......is the Dave Phillips
account genuine ......seems a very odd thing to do??

shmmeee

Morris can play CB as well remember, and Harries is an option if we're down to it.

We've got quite a flexible squad to be fair.

Otis

Morris can play CB as well remember, and Harries is an option if we're down to it.

We've got quite a flexible squad to be fair.

I know that Shmeee, but did TM not say;

Coventry City squad 'perilously close to bare bones' admits Tony Mowbray?

Pretty sure he did. in fact, I know he did.

Only takes a couple more injuries in key areas and we may have real problems. We are also only 5 games in. For a manager to say we are close to the bare bones right at the start of the season does not bode well.

ScottChegg

I'd be surprised if Phillips is not in the 18.......unless he is injured or something has happened inside the camp
Could be a compete load of bollocks of course and he starts right back not ruling that out either......is the Dave Phillips
account genuine ......seems a very odd thing to do??

I thought the same but it's genuine, he's not injured but just been left out... Dave Phillips has later said he's going to watch his other lad instead so he was clearly just frustrated Aaron didn't get in the squad.

NorthernWisdom

Bog standard management speak after a couple of injuries.

Rule of thumb = ignore management pronouncements about team spirit, players trying hard, looking good in training, players good but wanting to play first team football, injuries.

It's in their job description to commit to learning a few bog standard phrases to bung in when asked a vacuous question.

The boy done good.

ScottChegg

Only takes a couple more injuries in key areas and we may have real problems. We are also only 5 games in. For a manager to say we are close to the bare bones right at the start of the season does not bode well.

I'm sceptical enough to think that this game would and should be postponed if it wasn't for TV.... As n sky, I'm not blaming Terry Venables

johnwillomagic

Given that we are down to "bare bones" do you not think Phillips would at least be on the bench though?
Something must have happened inside the camp for him not to make the 18??? Could it just be Dave sulking he is not in start xi?

Also talk of being wafer thin and down to bare bones is also ludicrous league one squads do not have 40 man squads how many more times!!!
Our squad is quite healthy and we have options all over the park for all positions and a variety of possible formations. Think TM has shaped squad
very well to get to this position!

I quite like Aaron Phillips but not entirely sure where his best position is......I would have liked to have seen him given a run in the team with Willis out injured
Maybe TM sees more at right back on one of the Evans boys......we will see today I suppose when teams line up.

Great_Expectations

Makes sense. He is poor defensively, and would be exposed even more today against a team who play in the manner of Burton.

We we will lose an outlet at RB, as I don't imagine Ricketts will make as any forward runs, but the first objective of a defensive unit is to prevent the opposition scoring, and that's obviously TM's plan today.

We have criticised managers in the past for not adapting to the opposition, so by the same token, TM should be praised.

Otis

Given that we are down to "bare bones" do you not think Phillips would at least be on the bench though?
Something must have happened inside the camp for him not to make the 18??? Could it just be Dave sulking he is not in start xi?

Also talk of being wafer thin and down to bare bones is also ludicrous league one squads do not have 40 man squads how many more times!!!
Our squad is quite healthy and we have options all over the park for all positions and a variety of possible formations. Think TM has shaped squad
very well to get to this position!

I quite like Aaron Phillips but not entirely sure where his best position is......I would have liked to have seen him given a run in the team with Willis out injured
Maybe TM sees more at right back on one of the Evans boys......we will see today I suppose when teams line up.

No suggestion he isn't on the bench is there? Philips just says 'No Aaron today.' That can just as easily be read as 'No Aaron in the team!' No starting place today.

I'm sure he'll be in the 18. Just not in the starting 11 by all accounts.

johnwillomagic

I think Otis that is the likely scenario so "No Aaron today" is a little misleading as he will be there and could get on.
It is a very odd thing for Dave Phillips to do always a bit of a hero of mine - lost a bit of respect with this outburst.

I suppose he is just a frustrated dad wanting his boy to play at the end of the day but still he should know better!

SkyBlue_Bear83

Yes it sounds like a tactical decision to make us more secure in an away game. Probably be Ricketts at RB with Martin in the centre

Otis

Yes it sounds like a tactical decision to make us more secure in an away game. Probably be Ricketts at RB with Martin in the centre

Sounds sensible if true.

I misread the initial OP as Philips out due to injury. We have to accept that Philips gave a silly penalty away the other day and his defending isn't as good as his forward play.

SkyBlue_Bear83

How often are we going to have 6 players out of a match this season? Nothing to do with 5 games in, just an unfortunate set of circumstances.
This was before Fortune signed as well and Mowbray is confident of bringing in a loan player when the window reopens so those two will only add. In terms of depth we're good now, ideally we'd have one more player in defence but I wouldn't add depth anywhere else in the squad.

rupert_bear

Think Burton have a very good left winger and let's be honest at the moment Phillips is left wanting defender wise, could go 3-5-2 or bring Martin in or go 4-4-2 with perhaps Murphy, Lameries or even Haynes wide. Doesn't leave a very inspiring bench and highlights the need for at least a couple of new bodies to come in.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread