A way out of signing Chaplin? (1 Viewer)

speedie87

I’ve just watched a video of his piney goals. Looks like a different player to the one we’ve got. We’ve go to tell him to forget build up play live in the box. Also looks like it’s bulked up a lot compared with back then, reckon he’s lost sharpness due to this

Nick

Administrator
I’ve just watched a video of his piney goals. Looks like a different player to the one we’ve got. We’ve go to tell him to forget build up play live in the box. Also looks like it’s bulked up a lot compared with back then, reckon he’s lost sharpness due to this

That's the thing, a lot of his goals for them were like quick reaction goals in and around the area.

He's not going to do that on the midfielders toes.

Count the number of pompey players attacking when he scores and watch us too, there is always a difference with a team that has midfielders making runs also rather than knocking about on halfway.

Grendel

steve82

People keep pointing to confidence but the bloke was missing everything straight after joining.

I put that on pressure he’s put himself under to hit the ground running thinking right I’ve got to get goals. It didn’t come and your right he missed a few that a senior striker wouldn’t even think about and tuck it away. The penalty is that of a player with no confidence now. He’s got to grow and bounce back from this experience of pressure and confidence of being a young striker.

Bakayoko only got injured last week, it's been obvious since he joined that he isn't liked and has been publicly slated.

Bakayoko is a strange one, I’ve simply no answer as to why....
But my point was in reference to the coming weeks with him absent tho that said he’d started to get a look in again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CJ_covblaze

As I said on another thread we’ve spent around a million on 3 strikers that have managed 10 between them in half a season. What ever way you put it that is not good enough and is probably down to one of two reasons. They’re either rubbish or good and not being played in the right system. Which one is it?

GaryJones

How about we just refuse to pay Pompey the 500k because it's vastly over the market value of what Chaplin is worth and send Chaplin back?

They'd take us to court, but then we could could just appeal, and then appeal the appeal and so on and maybe get out of paying until 2025?

At least it'd give us the 500k to spend in Jan on another striker.

Just an idea ;)
That just wouldn't be very honourable now would it?
Clubs wouldn't trust us when doing deals that we renege on - oh wait - hang on...…….
Sisu are in charge …...so usual practice I suppose!

steve82

As I said on another thread we’ve spent around a million on 3 strikers that have managed 10 between them in half a season. What ever way you put it that is not good enough and is probably down to one of two reasons. They’re either rubbish or good and not being played in the right system. Which one is it?

It’s not great for the price but are we actually creating many good goal scoring opportunities constantly per game?

Add a very good left winger to offer balance and retain Thomas I’d be confident our return would increase.

steve82

How about we just refuse to pay Pompey the 500k because it's vastly over the market value of what Chaplin is worth and send Chaplin back?

They'd take us to court, but then we could could just appeal, and then appeal the appeal and so on and maybe get out of paying until 2025?

At least it'd give us the 500k to spend in Jan on another striker.

Just an idea ;)

Imagine the flip side to this, he’d got say 10 goals this season and Portsmouth say well it was just a loan to 750k now....

Deals are agreed as insurance for both parties

Covstu

I think the long transfer saga boosted everyone’s expectations coupled with the fact he was replacing McNulty nevermind the move into league 1 which ultimately isn’t fair on the lad. Everyone hated McNulty at the start but he come good and I think Chaplin will too but our failures at present aren’t solely down to him.

I think dropping him might be a positive but as our team are dropping like flies at the moment maybe MR doesn’t feel he can at the moment?

Nick

Administrator
I think the long transfer saga boosted everyone’s expectations coupled with the fact he was replacing McNulty nevermind the move into league 1 which ultimately isn’t fair on the lad. Everyone hated McNulty at the start but he come good and I think Chaplin will too but our failures at present aren’t solely down to him.

I think dropping him might be a positive but as our team are dropping like flies at the moment maybe MR doesn’t feel he can at the moment?

His positioning is a massive issue. When we get the ball he isn't up front and has his back to goal.

When somebody like Thomas makes a run into the box, none of our strikers are following it up so if the keeper parries it they get a tap in. They are usually so far behind that Thomas has to try it all himself.

It looked a bit different at least when Bakayoko played, he was at least trying to make runs in behind like at Charlton.

Covstu

His positioning is a massive issue. When we get the ball he isn't up front and has his back to goal.

When somebody like Thomas makes a run into the box, none of our strikers are following it up so if the keeper parries it they get a tap in. They are usually so far behind that Thomas has to try it all himself.

It looked a bit different at least when Bakayoko played, he was at least trying to make runs in behind like at Charlton.
Agree but he hasn’t helped himself or his counterparts for missing some guiltedged chances either! Thomas wants to walk the ball in the net and clearly we are missing Jones (again).

SkyBlueCRJ

I don't think 500k price tag helps him much. That sort of money could get you a player that's going to come in and make a difference from the off.

Assuming it is to nurture him and then make a profit in the future, I am just not seeing that at the minute but it might be different in a different system alongside a couple of different players.

Pretty sure that's how much Billy Sharp cost Sheffield United to put it into context!

Brighton Sky Blue

What we're doing right now isn't working, the results and performances show that. Robins is paid to recognise that and attempt to change it-but he either can't or won't. Instead he picks the same team, tells them to play the same way, and guess what we create fuck all and concede a shit goal or 2. He reacts by making like for like subs or subbing with 5-10 mins left.

steve82

Pretty sure that's how much Billy Sharp cost Sheffield United to put it into context!

That was the summer of 2015 so puts nothing into context three years later in a far more inflated transfer market.

Brighton Sky Blue

That was the summer of 2015 so puts nothing into context three years later in a far more inflated transfer market.

Ok then we've spent about £1 million on strikers and can't hit a barn door.

Otis

Well it’s not converting chances so what are they?
But the thing is, we have all been disappointed with Chaplin, Bakayoko AND Hiwula and none of them have truly been played where they are supposedly at their strongest for any period of time.

Chaplin has been a great disappointment so far, but I really don't feel we have deployed him correctly at all yet.

Captain Dart

There is also the 'finding it hard to settle in first season' syndrome, though usually you'd only expect that in one in three transfers.

steve82

Transfer fees weren't inflated 3 years ago? You do speak some shite.

Ha ha, ok.

Just think about what your saying for a minute.... how can you compare a fee from 2015 to 2018?

This summer we seen players leaving L2 for well over a million pounds

cc84cov

I said in a previous post sat behind Carl baker last eeek and he said Chaplin is neat and tidy but not a 20 goal a season player them clips show he can finish but without a target man as all Pompey fans told us we won’t do it not sure why robins thinks he knows better makes you think has he even watched the lad play before.The football we play is painful t watch I’m not even wasting my Boxing Day up there tomorrow it’s painful nothing will change same system same players.

SkyBlueCRJ

Ha ha, ok.

Just think about what your saying for a minute.... how can you compare a fee from 2015 to 2018?

This summer we seen players leaving L2 for well over a million pounds

It was just a great bit of business nothing more. Look at some of the other transfer dealings during the same time period then get back to me.

steve82

It was just a great bit of business nothing more. Look at some of the other transfer dealings during the same time period then get back to me.

It was for Sheffield United yes, Nigel Adkins signed a striker used at previous clubs who’s good value for goals.

Your point on the fee in 2015 is irrelevant tho.

If you use examples of strikers scoring goals that have moved this window then that stacks up as a comparison

cc84cov

Also let’s be hon
Could probably have bought and paid James Collins for a year for 500k ;)
easillyy and he would of come I know James personally he told me we never made a bid regardless to robins saying he tried to sign him twice !!!

Sky Blue Harry H

Also let’s be hon

easillyy and he would of come I know James personally he told me we never made a bid regardless to robins saying he tried to sign him twice !!!

May have enquired directly with his club re: cost. Don't think you are allowed to contact the players directly?!

stevefloyd

Ahh well only a week to go on the will he or won't he sign or will we sign anyone at all, If I was Shitsu and looking at Robins/Viveash record in the transfer dept so far I would say all the budgets gone !!

pusbccfc

CCFCSteve

Given time, he will come good. Just lacking in confidence, in a team that is struggling to create and appearing to be being asked to play in an unnaturally deep position.

vow

Agreed but Thomas had a great opportunity to cut the ball back to Chaplin v Shrews, but didn't and went for goal himself at a tighter angle when Chaplin was in space near penalty spot.

Very frustrating for a striker.

Skybluefaz

I don't think it's either. As a team we don't create enough good chances.

Sky Blue Harry H

I'm going to write a last minute letter to Santa, asking him to deliver a sack full of confidence to all of our players, and a dozen bottles of whisky to each of the Charlton players!

CJ_covblaze

I don't think it's either. As a team we don't create enough good chances.

That’s down to the system isn’t it. We’ve got the players to create them.

Users who are viewing this thread