A way out of signing Chaplin? (1 Viewer)

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

How about we just refuse to pay Pompey the 500k because it's vastly over the market value of what Chaplin is worth and send Chaplin back?

They'd take us to court, but then we could could just appeal, and then appeal the appeal and so on and maybe get out of paying until 2025?

At least it'd give us the 500k to spend in Jan on another striker.

Just an idea ;)

Magwitch

Chaplin was ridiculously put on a pedestal before he joined, he’s a kid learning had very few games to his name while at Pompey is losing the fans fast now and will struggle to get them back and has yet to be played in the position he was signed for

Irish Sky Blue

Chaplin was ridiculously put on a pedestal before he joined, he’s a kid learning had very few games to his name while at Pompey is losing the fans fast now and will struggle to get them back and has yet to be played in the position he was signed for
He’ll get them back as soon as he starts scoring regularly which I think he will.

Paul Anthony

Or we stick with him, stick him in the box and stop playing him deep and out wide.

I thought that was the point of signing him. Have never understood why he sits so deep in games. I'm no football tactician, but if you sign a player to score goals, stands to reason you want him in the best position to do so.

1ccfc

Who cares about going to court? Sisu batter people in court so we've been told, apparently, rumour has it, have we ever won a court case? Probably best to just pay up!

stevefloyd

Who cares about going to court? Sisu batter people in court so we've been told, apparently, rumour has it, have we ever won a court case? Probably best to just pay up!
Their legal team love them, makes loadsa dosh from them

Nick

Administrator
I don't think 500k price tag helps him much. That sort of money could get you a player that's going to come in and make a difference from the off.

Assuming it is to nurture him and then make a profit in the future, I am just not seeing that at the minute but it might be different in a different system alongside a couple of different players.

Brighton Sky Blue

A lot of that can be down to lack of confidence.

Seen it so many times with strikers over the years.

He was doing it straight after joining when his confidence was high. The problem with only signing players with a view to developing them is that they will make many mistakes along the way and we need at least some seasoned pros in there to offset that.

Chaplin may come good in a few years but right now he's not delivering-not that many of his colleagues are either.

Nick

Administrator
He was doing it straight after joining when his confidence was high. The problem with only signing players with a view to developing them is that they will make many mistakes along the way and we need at least some seasoned pros in there to offset that.

Chaplin may come good in a few years but right now he's not delivering-not that many of his colleagues are either.

Also, if he was a freebie we picked up after their contract expired it wouldn't be so bad. Players like Bakayoko have actually done a better job and showed more promise but were written off because they weren't Chaplin.

steve82

Missing sitters from all parts and sending penalties into orbit?

That’s more down to confidence and getting 2 chances a game and coming to a club under the pressure of replacing a man who had a good season.

The fee we ended up negotiating was inflated given the strong stance Portsmouth held in wanting him to stay and has not helped him.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Grendel

A lot of that can be down to lack of confidence.

Seen it so many times with strikers over the years.

He was lauded when he came here and his confidence must have been sky high and he was missing sitters all over the place

Brighton Sky Blue

Also, if he was a freebie we picked up after their contract expired it wouldn't be so bad. Players like Bakayoko have actually done a better job and showed more promise but were written off because they weren't Chaplin.

Robins' stubbornness coming through again. Maybe take Chaplin/JCH out of the firing line for a few games, try Baka/Hiwulla as a front two for 3-4 matches and see what happens. All that is going on is Chaplin becoming more frustrated at his inability to score while JCH flounders around. Get both putting in serious time at the training ground in the meantime.

Brighton Sky Blue

That’s more down to confidence and getting 2 chances a game and coming to a club under the pressure of replacing a man who had a good season.

The fee we ended up negotiating was inflated given the strong stance Portsmouth held in wanting him to stay and has not helped him.

People keep pointing to confidence but the bloke was missing everything straight after joining.

steve82

Robins' stubbornness coming through again. Maybe take Chaplin/JCH out of the firing line for a few games, try Baka/Hiwulla as a front two for 3-4 matches and see what happens. All that is going on is Chaplin becoming more frustrated at his inability to score while JCH flounders around. Get both putting in serious time at the training ground in the meantime.

It’s not stubbornness on this particular scenario recently as we’ve only three fit strikers to choose between. JCH, Chaplin and Hiwula who’s having to occupy the left flank.

So going forwards changes are minimal till January

Nick

Administrator
It’s not stubbornness on this particular scenario recently as we’ve only three fit strikers to choose between. JCH, Chaplin and Hiwula who’s having to occupy the left flank.

Bakayoko only got injured last week, it's been obvious since he joined that he isn't liked and has been publicly slated.

Brighton Sky Blue

I get that now but he never gave the other combination a chance because he was obsessed with starting Chaplin. I do think Hiwulla ought to replace him for the next 3-4 games to give him a fair crack and to give Chaplin some time to work on his game.

Grendel

Bakayoko only got injured last week, it's been obvious since he joined that he isn't liked and has been publicly slated.

It’s pretty obvious that Robins had little input in signing him or I suspect clarke Harris

Nick

Administrator
It’s pretty obvious that Robins had little input in signing him or I suspect clarke Harris

I think Harris was agreed back in January. I wonder if that was done with League 2 in mind?

The thing is though, whether it was recruitment or Robins if he is an option then give him a go rather than slating him and sticking with things that aren't working.

It's the same with Hiwula, he made comments that he is an out and out striker and then just sticks him on the right of midfield I think it was the next game.

Users who are viewing this thread