A record breaking season awaits us? (1 Viewer)

Otis

Best ever points tally in our history - 66 in 2001/2

* We are currently on 64 points

Most wins ever in a season - 24 in 1935/36 and 1958/59

* We are currently on 19. Get the 6 wins that would probably get us promoted and we will beat that target.

Least goals conceded in a season - 38 in 1970-71

* We are currently on 31 goals conceded.

No top 6 finish in 47 years.

* Surely this is the season to do that.

Are we going to break all those records?

Last edited:

Terry_dactyl

Best ever points tally in our history - 66 in 2001/2

* We are currently on 64 points

Most wins ever in a season - 24 in 1935/36 and 1958/59

* We are currently on 19. Get the 6 wins that would probably get us promoted and we will beat that target.

Least goals conceded in a season - 38 in 1970-71

* We are currently on 31 goals conceded.

No top 6 finish in 47 years.

* Surely this is the season to do that.

Are we going to break all those records?

I think they announced a fact on the radio that we haven’t conceded more than 2 goals in a league game this year. Apparently we’ve never done this?
However, they also said that Mcnulty’s was the first hattrick of the season by a cov player. I seem to remember Jodie jones getting one against Notts county...

tigersb

Interesting stufff but it’s all relative
Conceding less goals than in season 70/71 is no achievement
We were playing in the top division after all

Otis

Interesting stufff but it’s all relative
Conceding less goals than in season 70/71 is no achievement
We were playing in the top division after all
Errmmm...

I would say conceding less goals is one hell of an achievement. Surely it's all relative.

The least goals conceded in our history? Would be some achievement that.

Grendel

We effectively had 66 points over 42 games in 77 78

tigersb

In Division 1 back then we had Division 1 players playing against Division 1 teams.

Now we have Division 4 players playing against Division 4 teams.
In Division 1 back then we had Division 1 players playing against Division 1 teams.

Now we have Division 4 players playing against Division 4 teams.
My point is you can’t compare like for like
In the seventies we were playing against players that had won the World Cup
I would prefer to compare against previous campaigns in the bottom tier

Johnnythespider

Has anybody accounted for the 3 points for a win rule as opposed to 2 points before. The 59 season mentioned in Gosb's post above would total 84 points in today's money against the 60 points it earned at the time

Otis

Has anybody accounted for the 3 points for a win rule as opposed to 2 points before. The 59 season mentioned in Gosb's post above would total 84 points in today's money against the 60 points it earned at the time
Yeah, but surely we cannot use that. A draw was much better in those days, resulting in your gaining only one single point less than a win.

It just altered the way teams played and the way they set up.

Had there been 3 points for a win we might have as a team gone to try and win more games and ended up losing them as a result.

Paxman II

Records like you suggest are flawed. It is relative. Point in case when we won the old division 2 what was the points total? Now apply that with 3 points for a win.
So it will be our highest league position in decades. Well not really, we are in division 4 (in old money) so one of our lowest positions ever.
It's all a matter of perspective. But I get it what you are saying. :)

martcov

If we gain promotion that’s two achievements in two years. Doesn’t happen often. Not to mention a relegation whilst doing it. :)

tigersb

ANd this season there’s been 16 clean sheets in the league and 3 in the cup

Wow
Can't remember if O'Brien played in any of them
Still a fantastic effort by Burge

Grendel

Yeah, but surely we cannot use that. A draw was much better in those days, resulting in your gaining only one single point less than a win.

It just altered the way teams played and the way they set up.

Had there been 3 points for a win we might have as a team gone to try and win more games and ended up losing them as a result.

No evidence to support that of course we have to use it hence my comment on 77 78 when we played 4 less games.

bawtryneal

What is sad is this season (apart from Sixfields) will be the lowest average home attendance for many many years
Apart from when we scored the atmosphere was crap yesterday.
The club is doing its bit to make attractive pricing offers to get bums on seats.
Will be interesting how many want to attend the play offs and Wembley ( if it happens, of course)

Otis

What is sad is this season (apart from Sixfields) will be the lowest average home attendance for many many years
The club is doing its bit to make attractive pricing offers to get bums on seats.
Will be interesting how many want to attend the play offs and Wembley ( if it happens, of course)
I thought the atmosphere was pretty good yesterday to be honest.

Londonccfcfan

Hopefully we will break some of these records. Very soon in coming weeks.

The top 6 in any league for 47 years always galls me and I think is a nothing stat. Putting it into context we played about 32 seasons in the top flight of that 50 seasons. Were we really likely to finish top 6?

That’s like saying If Stoke or West Brom or Burnley would play in premier league for next 50 years they wouldn’t finish in top 6 once.Would they give a crap about that silly stat if they never get relegated.

Still it should have been better during last 17 years that’s disappointing. No top 6/7 finish in last 17 years that’s a disappointing stat.

Irish Sky Blue

Records like you suggest are flawed. It is relative. Point in case when we won the old division 2 what was the points total? Now apply that with 3 points for a win.
So it will be our highest league position in decades. Well not really, we are in division 4 (in old money) so one of our lowest positions ever.
It's all a matter of perspective. But I get it what you are saying. :)
Not being negative, but any lower than second will be the lowest in our league history. Another record

Irish Sky Blue

It is taking longer than I thought it would to build any momentum with attendances. Eight thousand against second in the league Luton is poor for us. A combination of things I suppose, but poor performances, lack of goals and until recently, no real momentum would all have contributed to some asking why they should bother. Having an average attendance of 12k during the Mowbray season shows that the support is still there if the football is right. Hopefully a big increase in the last 4 games.

Londonccfcfan

It is taking longer than I thought it would to build any momentum with attendances. Eight thousand against second in the league Luton is poor for us. A combination of things I suppose, but poor performances, lack of goals and until recently, no real momentum would all have contributed to some asking why they should bother. Having an average attendance of 12k during the Mowbray season shows that the support is still there if the football is right. Hopefully a big increase in the last 4 games.
The attendances at home have improved last two home games. Believe it or not I think after Notts county first game of the season, the last two games have been 2nd and 3rd biggest attendances, obviously not including Accrington.

Users who are viewing this thread