A realist in this time of gloom (1 Viewer)

Nick

Administrator
So he’s injured then not shit. Which is the point that the OP was making.

Did I say shit or did I point out he is injured and hasn't played since last season? It's a bit extreme for people to be sat there fingers crossed about him being a saviour when he doesn't even play for us, is injured and will have no match fitness?

You will see that I put "Regardless of ability"...

ccfcricoh

What worries me is if we don't make it up this year - which players will we hold onto to have another go next year...

Grimmer
Willis
Davies
Doyle
Jones
McNulty

Could all be swayed by League 1 teams in my opinion with the exception of Doyle who i'm just unsure if he will go for another year.

That wouldn't leave us with much to work with...

Covstu

Don't think we have the consistency to get a play off spot which is disappointing but I hope I am wrong. He sets the team up too defensively away from home and we never look like having a proper go until we go 1-0 down. Teams come to our ground like Saturday and have a go at us, sometimes it works sometimes not.

We have had some terrible luck with injuries to absolute key players but I bet we are no different to other teams in the top 10. I think we would be ripe for the picking if we fail to go up this year, Bayliss, McNulty, Willis are three highly probable exits and you could potentially chuck in Grimmer, Jones in there. Then are we looking at the usual reliance on loanees which has been so effective for us over the last 5 years.

We need to get back on track immediately but lets hope our boys have the desire to do this. Although I am going to Brighton, I would happily swap that for 3 points but I think MR's ego of the cup will put priority to that game rather than the league.

Otis

Don't think we have the consistency to get a play off spot which is disappointing but I hope I am wrong. He sets the team up too defensively away from home and we never look like having a proper go until we go 1-0 down. Teams come to our ground like Saturday and have a go at us, sometimes it works sometimes not.

We have had some terrible luck with injuries to absolute key players but I bet we are no different to other teams in the top 10. I think we would be ripe for the picking if we fail to go up this year, Bayliss, McNulty, Willis are three highly probable exits and you could potentially chuck in Grimmer, Jones in there. Then are we looking at the usual reliance on loanees which has been so effective for us over the last 5 years.

We need to get back on track immediately but lets hope our boys have the desire to do this. Although I am going to Brighton, I would happily swap that for 3 points but I think MR's ego of the cup will put priority to that game rather than the league.
Agree with all of that apart from the last sentence.

I think Robins knows which is most important and will be focusing solely on tomorrow night at the moment.

Nick

Administrator
The only thing that would take the piss is letting people buy tickets and turn up to Brighton to see the reserves. I'd have no issue if he said "we are struggling with injuries so are going to need to make a few changes" to give people an idea.

NorthernWisdom

Agree with all of that apart from the last sentence.

I think Robins knows which is most important and will be focusing solely on tomorrow night at the moment.
The cup's an easy excuse for a bad result. Going out early didn't help us under Pressley or Mowbray.

Staying in does get us a spot of cash however, and stop us having to flog just about everybody.

Hobo

Yep, so shit that he played 45 times and scored 9 goals in Portsmouth's title-winning campaign last season.

Knob.

Hasn't kicked a ball all season...Achilles injury so no guarantee he will be fit before end of season.

Nick

Administrator
Santi Cazorla at Arsenal is another one I think, he's been out for a good while too.

wingy

He did say he's been running for the last couple of weeks and reckons he's a couple of weeks away from Proper trainimg on Saturday.
Ambitious ??

Nick

Administrator
He did say he's been running for the last couple of weeks and reckons he's a couple of weeks away from Proper trainimg on Saturday.
Ambitious ??

I noticed that he also said he is now training on his own rather than with us.

pusbccfc

Otis

Will be fit by the end of the month.
I'm sure he didn't say that on Saturday. He said sometimes these things take a month, sometimes a year. He didn't seem at all certain he would be back at all. Hopeful, but not certain and wasn't sure at all as to when.

Even if he was recovered it would probably take him another month to get match fit.

Seems like a bit of a damp squib to be honest.

lifeskyblue

I don't think it is all about skill, it's about having a team with a plan where everybody knows their jobs and what they are meant to be doing. If they get a throw in in the attacking half all players know where they are going, if it's a corner they all know what they are doing.

There are teams in this league with much weaker squads but they have a better gameplan, they all know their jobs. Watching them play against us you can see that they play to their strengths whether it is pace or strength.

Sometimes I watch us and have no idea what our plan is, yet you watch Wycombe and they have full backs spraying everything into Akinfenwa and Mackail Smith lurking about to pick things up. Cheltenham liked to play it to their wingers every time, Accrington targetted DKE and then put everything on Kee's head when they realised he was winning most things. You can also see teams change things up if they go a goal down, they commit more men forward for example.

Ours is the same week in, week out whether we are winning or losing. The only difference is if McNulty has made a goal out of nothing or not, rather than decent team goals.

100% agree with this. We are either unwilling or unable to change our system. No plan B. No managing the game.
Without jones I never feel we scare the opposition or keep them on the Backfoot. We must be the easiest team to defend against as its rarely anything other than hoof it up for biamou (even when he is not playing) and hoping mcnulty gets on the end of any flick ons. I like biamou but we need him attacking crosses from the byline not him chasing aimless balls out wide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SkyblueBazza

We haven't beaten all of the so called top teams though.

We lost to both Mansfield and Accrington and though we beat them once, also lost once against Exeter.

There's three teams in the top seven right there.
...plus - regardless of what you say about it being a shit league...we are 9th in it!

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Otis

100% agree with this. We are either unwilling or unable to change our system. No plan B. No managing the game.
Without jones I never feel we scare the opposition or keep them on the Backfoot. We must be the easiest team to defend against as its rarely anything other than hoof it up for biamou (even when he is not playing) and hoping mcnulty gets on the end of any flick ons. I like biamou but we need him attacking crosses from the byline not him chasing aimless balls out wide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
And has been said before, goals we have scored lately have been pretty much out of the blue goals, with little or creativity involved.

Grimmer against Stoke.

Biamou against Swindon (big hoof from keeper, lands at Biamou's feet)

McNulty against Swindon and Cambridge, where the ball just came to him and he scored two very good individual efforts.

Can't keep expecting to score from worldies and potshots.

Otis

...plus - regardless of what you say about it being a shit league...we are 9th in it!

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
Yep. If we lose tomorrow I hate to think where we will be in the league on Saturday. Everyone else plays except for us and Luton.
Could be down to 12th possibly and possibly 6 points adrift of 7th place (think there are some rival matchups, so not done the exact maths).

It's vital we don't lose tomorrow.

Warwickhunt

The only thing that would take the piss is letting people buy tickets and turn up to Brighton to see the reserves. I'd have no issue if he said "we are struggling with injuries so are going to need to make a few changes" to give people an idea.
Giving Brighton a false sense of security? Like your style Nick

Adge

Yep. If we lose tomorrow I hate to think where we will be in the league on Saturday. Everyone else plays except for us and Luton.
Could be down to 12th possibly and possibly 6 points adrift of 7th place (think there are some rival matchups, so not done the exact maths).

It's vital we don't lose tomorrow.
That crossed my mind about Saturday as we are at Brighton, how far behind the playoffs will we be.

Covstu

The cup's an easy excuse for a bad result. Going out early didn't help us under Pressley or Mowbray.

Staying in does get us a spot of cash however, and stop us having to flog just about everybody.
I think the irony is probably we make more money getting to the 6th round than getting promoted

Londonccfcfan

We haven't beaten all of the so called top teams though.

We lost to both Mansfield and Accrington and though we beat them once, also lost once against Exeter.

There's three teams in the top seven right there.

What you on about now? ofcourse we beaten the top teams. We have an excellent record against the top 9 compared to the bottom 9!

It would be very interesting to see a table of results of the top 9 teams against eachother, I'm sure we would be top 2....maybe even top!

Maybe Esoterica can help. Just proving when top 8/9 play against eachother we have one of the best records.

Londonccfcfan

That crossed my mind about Saturday as we are at Brighton, how far behind the playoffs will we be.

A couple of positives will be we would have played 2 games less than some teams in and around us. other positive would be its an extra week off Important league fixture trying to get players back fit.
Brighton away is the least significant game of our 16 remaining.

Londonccfcfan

Our record vs current top 8.

P = 11, W= 7, D=0, L=4 , GF=18, GA, 10, GD= +8 , Points = 21

Clearly not where our problem is, staggered we scored 18 goals in 11 games vs top 8.

Cavan O'Doherty

The Ts and Cs in any investment vehicle will tell you "past performance is not necessarily a reliable indicator or guarantor of future performance", and quite right too. We've definitely got enough in the squad to get promoted and we're there or thereabouts at present. I don't know what everyone's worried about. Then again, if we don't go up or reach the play-offs, it's not the end of the world. There's always next time.
Have you not learnt anything whilst supporting this club? If we don't go up this year we will inevitably slide down the table gradually as the attendances fall and the budget gets cut.

oucho

Have you not learnt anything whilst supporting this club? If we don't go up this year we will inevitably slide down the table gradually as the attendances fall and the budget gets cut.

Don't agree. Every new season is a new chance.

Gosford Green

It has been next time or next season since 2001 followed by when next season arrives things just get worse.

The last 2 games have shown how weak the squad is now due to a combination of bad luck and bad management. A typical SISU era window with quite substantial funds coming in but no investment to bolster the promotion push, at least it is that, not a relegation fight.

Otis

What you on about now? ofcourse we beaten the top teams. We have an excellent record against the top 9 compared to the bottom 9!
What am I on about now? Dear me, you're having a bit of a mare lately. ;)

I clearly answered a post where someone said we had beaten ALL the top teams. We clearly haven't.

THAT is what I was on about. ;) We simply haven't beaten all the top teams. I was merely correcting that inaccuracy.

Even in your own post you have mentioned 4.

AVWskyblue

It has been next time or next season since 2001 followed by when next season arrives things just get worse.

The last 2 games have shown how weak the squad is now due to a combination of bad luck and bad management. A typical SISU era window with quite substantial funds coming in but no investment to bolster the promotion push, at least it is that, not a relegation fight.
Well that's all us fans told, because GobFuck Groan I'd an unending font of football knowledge

Sent from my 5010X using Tapatalk

Londonccfcfan

What am I on about now? Dear me, you're having a bit of a mare lately. ;)

I clearly answered a post where someone said we had beaten ALL the top teams. We clearly haven't.

THAT is what I was on about. ;) We simply haven't beaten all the top teams. I was merely correcting that inaccuracy.

Even in your own post you have mentioned 4.
Nope we beaten 6 of the top 8.

Otis

Nope we beaten 6 of the top 8.

As I say, I was just correcting what someone said. We do have a very decent record against top teams, but we certainly haven't beaten them all.

That was all I was saying. :) And when I talk of you mentioning 4 I am talking about the defeats not the wins.

Users who are viewing this thread