A question of taste or bias? (1 Viewer)

Mcbean

I think part of the problem now is that for most people your audience used to be half a dozen mates down the pub.
Bow with social media you can reach a very wide audience and what you say stays on record.
Could be - gives those a bigger voice than they should have :)

fellatio_Martinez

Spouting opinions or making jokes in bad taste online with your real name / photo is stupid and can easily come back to bite you in the arse. Especially in the future when our reptilian over lords will try to find any way to unperson us.

Monners

Its a silly thing to say, and I am surprised at her - but as usual nowadays, there is a massive overreaction. People just love to be offended.

Monners

What’s worse do you think - putting a picture of a monkey as the royal baby or saying you should pour battery acid over right wing politicians?

Which deserves the sack more?

Would Jim Davison have been defended so vigorously if he’d said it about Jeremy Corbyn or would we have had a different response to the alleged comedian Jo Brands comments?
U OK Hun?

skybluetony176

To be fair he’s said so many stupid and controversial things over the years he’s owed a few in the opposite direction. Not surprising a feminist has had a go either considering his opinions on the value of women.

Grendel

For example look at the things Boris has said in the last couple of years - 'picaninnies' 'Muslim women in their veils looking like letterboxes' - is that bad humour/poor taste, simply racism, or just people that aren't thick skinned being offended?

I think if he said chuck acid on the lefties and not milk shake he’d be in bother

Alan Dugdales Moustache

A joke is a joke and shouldn't be taken seriously. It's the whole point of a joke. Some are silly, some are dirty and others are dark and twisted but they're all intended to provoke a laugh.

The problem is that if someone left wing says a acerbic joke aimed at middle England or right wingers then it's brushed off as a joke but the other way around it's labeled hateful and problematic.

The world is a shitty place for balance at the moment.
Whether a joke is such depends upon whether the recipient appreciates it as a joke. If you've had battery acid thrown in your face you probably wouldn't find a battery acid throwing "joke" at all funny. Same goes for rape, disfigurement, poverty etc.

Westendlad

someone got up at that Jewish group meeting, (can't remember the name but it's one of the right wing Jewish groups), and were talking about assassinating Corbyn and it hardly got mentioned..

I don't think there is any left wing or right wing bias to this issue. People are now pouring over every word that people they don't agree with say to try and kick off about it it's embarrassing.
To slightly contradict myself I do think politicians should probably be held to a higher level of responsibility in what they say.
What meeting ?

fellatio_Martinez

Whether a joke is such depends upon whether the recipient appreciates it as a joke. If you've had battery acid thrown in your face you probably wouldn't find a battery acid throwing "joke" at all funny. Same goes for rape, disfigurement, poverty etc.

What's your point old bean?

Offence is taken, not given. That's a very important thing to remember with jokes. The fact someone takes offence doesn't stop it from being a joke.

I know plenty of people that have died of cancer but can still laugh at jokes about it because a) It's funny and b) it's not about the people I knew.

Otis

What I don't get is that the police are seemingly investigating this and have done for other such comments too, yet when I watch stuff like 999 What's your Emergency, people ring 999 about crimes that have been committed or ARE actually taking place and the police say they haven't got the resources to attend the incident.

NorthernWisdom

What I don't get is that the police are seemingly investigating this and have done for other such comments too, yet when I watch stuff like 999 What's your Emergency, people ring 999 about crimes that have been committed or ARE actually taking place and the police say they haven't got the resources to attend the incident.
Blame the outraged righty snowflakes then.

Grendel

Grendel

thought you believed in free speech?

If an individual said this on social media they’d be investigated - if not then you end up with racist jokes, inciting violence hiding behind comedy - in a private venue where people have paid may be different but not on a national broadcast show

clint van damme

If an individual said this on social media they’d be investigated - if not then you end up with racist jokes, inciting violence hiding behind comedy - in a private venue where people have paid may be different but not on a national broadcast show

I'm very interested in this debate at the moment.
I think free speech is being weaponised with the left blaming the right and vice versa for stifling free speech when I think people from all ends of the political spectrum are at it.
Really interested to know what people think the parameters of free speech should be. I can see valid arguments for and against what you have said.
Remember pissing myself at the Not the nine o'clock news sketch where Rowan Atkinson was talking about driving through Europe and running other motorists off the road. Would fail your criteria on the racism and incitement to violence fairly spectacularly.

Grendel

I'm very interested in this debate at the moment.
I think free speech is being weaponised with the left blaming the right and vice versa for stifling free speech when I think people from all ends of the political spectrum are at it.
Really interested to know what people think the parameters of free speech should be. I can see valid arguments for and against what you have said.
Remember pissing myself at the Not the nine o'clock news sketch where Rowan Atkinson was talking about driving through Europe and running other motorists off the road. Would fail your criteria on the racism and incitement to violence fairly spectacularly.

It wouldn’t as generally people aren’t running people off the road. People are throwing acid at people and she was identifying certain people to acid at

Grendel

You should watch the news more. Been some very high profile cases of Islamic extremists, far right extremists and white superminists doing just that.

The joke was in the 1990’s Tony and talking about a Europe road trip

fellatio_Martinez

Now that you mention Rowan Atkinson, he's always been very insightful and protective of free speech.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

It's clearly meant as a joke but give the spate of acid attacks that have happened in the not too distant past it's a very poor choice, especially from an ex-nurse. I doubt she'd find it funny if someone jokingly said the same about a left wing liberal or a feminist.

There does seem to be a bit of bias in favour of left wing in terms of jokes which could, but probably shouldn't, be considered as inciting violence or hate crimes. I think part of that can often be the tone in which they're said, but also I think in terms of the opinion of those incharge on those who hold right and left wing views. They seem to be that 'left wing can tell it's a joke and so won't act on it. some right wingers can't and will act on it', which is completely wrong and patronising.

There is also a definite bias in terms of what women and minorities can say. They can make all sort of stereotypical crap about men or white people and it's fine because it's a joke but the other way round it's not fine, even though it's a joke because it's sexist or racist.

mark82

What’s worse do you think - putting a picture of a monkey as the royal baby or saying you should pour battery acid over right wing politicians?

Which deserves the sack more?

Would Jim Davison have been defended so vigorously if he’d said it about Jeremy Corbyn or would we have had a different response to the alleged comedian Jo Brands comments?

Yeah, it's a bit bizarre. I've seen people who regularly lose their shit over stuff like this defending her. I've then seen people who would normally call people snowflakes for getting angry about stuff like this attacking Jo Brand. It's all about whether it fits your pre-conceived political opinion.

FWIW, I think both were misguided at worst.

Grendel

Ahh. So when you said “aren’t” (present tense) you meant weren’t (past tense). Got ya.

Not really as even now generic jokes about such actions are hardly as offensive as targeted acts of violence against specified people. The example that was given was preposterous and therefore not a situation that you would envisage happening

It is very obvious that something was thrown at these people and the comment was milk shake is so lame and it should be battery acid.

I also don’t buy the she is a comedian tag either. If that’s the case someone could say racist jokes about the royal family and as long as one person found it funny it’s fine.

It clearly isn’t

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I do seem to remember on QI some years ago Stephen Fry (I think) made a comment about an artist (Van Gogh I think) being "not a happy bunny" and Jo Brand gently rebuked him for the term, stating he was "seriously mentally ill rather than suffering 'not a happy bunny syndrome'". This is understandable as an ex psychiatric nurse, but Fry himself suffers from a similar mental illness in the form of being bi-polar. I'm sure there are other instances where she's shown her displeasure at jokes referencing mental illness. Which is why I find her joke all the more surprising.

But having said that it's not like she called for Fry or anyone else to be sacked.

Last edited:

dancers lance

Jo Brand looks like a sea cucumber but with worse hair.

SkyblueBazza

What's your point old bean?

Offence is taken, not given. That's a very important thing to remember with jokes. The fact someone takes offence doesn't stop it from being a joke.

I know plenty of people that have died of cancer but can still laugh at jokes about it because a) It's funny and b) it's not about the people I knew.
Dead people cannot laugh!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

SkyblueBazza

It's clearly meant as a joke but give the spate of acid attacks that have happened in the not too distant past it's a very poor choice, especially from an ex-nurse. I doubt she'd find it funny if someone jokingly said the same about a left wing liberal or a feminist.

There does seem to be a bit of bias in favour of left wing in terms of jokes which could, but probably shouldn't, be considered as inciting violence or hate crimes. I think part of that can often be the tone in which they're said, but also I think in terms of the opinion of those incharge on those who hold right and left wing views. They seem to be that 'left wing can tell it's a joke and so won't act on it. some right wingers can't and will act on it', which is completely wrong and patronising.

There is also a definite bias in terms of what women and minorities can say. They can make all sort of stereotypical crap about men or white people and it's fine because it's a joke

You mean like Victoria Derbyshire? She accidentally drops the C-bomb trying to say 'Jeremy Hunt' on live tv, apologises saying 'never use that word...it's usually men that say that'. Not heard about her being reprimanded for what the obsessed politically correct might say is blatantly sexist. I also thpught there was a 5 second delay on live tv to be able to censor things...was someone asleep on the job? Or too busy pissing themselves laughing at one or both faux pas?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Westendlad

Heard on the news yesterday that its now against the law to show adverts like men with their feet up whilst the woman are doing the house chores or a male's taking the piss watching females trying to park the car......

clint van damme

Heard on the news yesterday that its now against the law to show adverts like men with their feet up whilst the woman are doing the house chores or a male's taking the piss watching females trying to park the car......

Yeah, just imagine how long the one of the woman parking would go on for............Just joking.

Users who are viewing this thread