A new CCFC club badge (3 Viewers)

kapowaz

I think your quest for simplifying our badge is clouding your judgement.

Not at all. There’s lots about what makes our badge unique that I love. I just think it’s a rubbish interpretation of those things. I mean, it’s not like I’ve tried to come up with some entirely new concept - the ball, elephant and football was our logo until 1983. I’m just returning to our roots.

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
Think you might get a letter from Speechley's in the not too distant future

kapowaz

Is selling those shirts not flirting a bit too close to copyright infringement?

They’ve got copyright on their original crest, but as you’ve all so emphatically pointed out, this doesn’t look like the original crest, so… ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

mds

Seems more a case of i want to sell a few shirts how best to advertise them?
The badge is the badge, rotate the ball and bend the elephant leg, its no different at all but if it makes you a few quid then it must be good.
Im sure the club wouldnt mind, they are rolling in money after all!

Skyblueweeman

I know one other like me who absolutely loves the Le coq ones of the Huckerby ,Whelan, Dublin era .
Can't wait to see it utilised at some future point.

I loved the majority of the 90s kits do be fair. Loved the Ribeiro ones the most. The sky blue version was much better than the yellow version our esteemed gaffer was wearing at Naarwich.

Don’t make ‘em like the used to!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

D_Boult

Blimey, this thread went on longer than I thought it would! Actually...no it didn't. Have to say i agree with the comments that we have one of the best badges in the country, to a point. We have one of the best due to individuality and content. It's just executed REALLY badly. Visually I like what the OP has done but for me it isn't a Cov badge. Arguments about elements only appearing in 1959 or whenever are irrelevant to me in this case. Anyway it's still a ton of work to put in, so respect to that. Still not sure whether I'd be willing.

ajsccfc

They’ve got copyright on their original crest, but as you’ve all so emphatically pointed out, this doesn’t look like the original crest, so… ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I get that the badge isn't one they use, but I'd really be surprised if a Nike shirt with a variant of the Coventry City badge being sold by a third party goes unchallenged. Saying that though, you see remakes of old club shirts with the proper badge on eBay getting sold so maybe it's not an issue.

oscillatewildly

Hate stripes. The fading Tesco Basics bag stripes probably the worst kit ever. Shame we had stripes in 87 - looked like Sheffield Wednesday rather than the proud Sky Blues.
I actually like the swapping of our kit design - stripes/sky blue/stripes..... It's part of our (undeniable) history so is very relevant and in no way 'gimmicky'. I really have no preference.
Can't understand why the Scottish national team don't do a similar thing tho and occasionally go back to pink and yellow hoops.

Malaka

By this logic we could/should get rid of the sky blue kit, the nickname, the song etc
Im not averse to some change but we need to be aware of the importance of tradition to many fans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tradition of failure, I can do without that mate :angelic:

I agree! I actually made them a bit bigger in my latest mockup.
HB5qisj.png
Hey man I absolutely adore this, could post a png of the badge you used there please? And also, on the online store it has the original logo you posted here, but on the twitter post it has this simple version. Which one will be on the actual shirt you're selling?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Interesting post...

I run the agency that was behind the recent Manchester City badge redesign, and have been considering writing to the club for the past two years to propose / offer a redesign (or modernisation) of the club crest.

It doesn’t need to be changed significantly, but - as other posters have suggested - it would benefit from being redrawn. As a lifelong CCFC fan, I was going to extend our services FOC, but to do it properly would necessitate a significant fan consultation process. It doesn’t sound like there’s much of an appetite for it though, at least among those on this forum!

I would like to see a version of the badge where everything stays in the same place but each element is slightly more modern and clean, I think this would make 75 percent of fans happy at least.
Interesting post...

I run the agency that was behind the recent Manchester City badge redesign, and have been considering writing to the club for the past two years to propose / offer a redesign (or modernisation) of the club crest.

It doesn’t need to be changed significantly, but - as other posters have suggested - it would benefit from being redrawn. As a lifelong CCFC fan, I was going to extend our services FOC, but to do it properly would necessitate a significant fan consultation process. It doesn’t sound like there’s much of an appetite for it though, at least among those on this forum!

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

kapowaz

Sorry, yes! Been somewhat busy and not checking the forum in the post-playoff hangover haze (took a cold with me to Wembley and ended up off sick for a few days).

Hey man I absolutely adore this, could post a png of the badge you used there please? And also, on the online store it has the original logo you posted here, but on the twitter post it has this simple version. Which one will be on the actual shirt you're selling?

The original plan was to get the logo embroidered onto the shirt, but the quality of that is way below what most premium (i.e. Premier League) kits use, where instead they have a woven badge made separately then this is attached to the shirt with an embroidered edge. Since there was such a mixed reaction to the design I posted, but very few people actually expressing an interest in the design either way I decided I’d rather get my original (i.e. full logo) version made, since that’s way at least I get the version I had in mind.

I had the woven badges made for the away shirt and they look fantastic, but I’ve really struggled to find a company that can do the embroidered overlock. I’m still trying to chase it up, but so far no dice.

So; to answer your question, it’s the full logo, not the simple one that’s on the shirts I’m getting made. That said, since I can’t source getting them attached I can’t sell any for the meantime. If and when I get that sorted out I’ll post an update here!

1940oldfive

A couple of years ago I was preparing for my wedding, and lucky enough to be getting a tailored suit made. I had this crazy idea of the jacket lining be an authentic reproduction print of the 1987 FA Cup winning CCFC home kit, and I thought it’d be fun to have the club badge embroidered on the inside, maybe above the inside pocket. I’ve always been slightly dissatisfied with the club crest though, which I felt was overdue for a bit of a tidy up. Not a completely new take like the disastrous Mike McGinnity one from 2005, but an ‘evolution’ of the existing crest, with a more modern feel.

I decided to hire a graphic designer, and worked with him to create this new logo. It didn’t really work out though, and whilst what we came up with together (after many rounds of revisions and feedback) was clearly a cousin of the current logo, I wasn’t quite satisfied with the outcome, so I shelved the idea, and forgot all about the illustration files he’d come up with.

A year or so later I decided to have another play at creating something out of the previous design, and finally came up with something I liked. I’ve been sitting on the design for a while, uncertain exactly what to do with it. I thought maybe it was good enough to share with the club? But maybe that’s crazy talk. What would other actual fans think of it?

A few months back I saw a preview of Nike’s Teamwear range for 2018/19, which includes a sky blue and white striped shirt that I can easily see us using as our kit next season, so I stuck the badge on it. I ended up tweeting this mockup on Friday night as part of a conversation about our Puma shirt history, and then popped the new badge on Twitter itself for good measure.

So I thought, why not share it with a bunch of Sky Blues fans, and get some feedback?

eT3w5IQ.jpg

Anyway, let me know what you think?
recommended by tiny tim by any chance?

Hobo

A couple of years ago I was preparing for my wedding, and lucky enough to be getting a tailored suit made. I had this crazy idea of the jacket lining be an authentic reproduction print of the 1987 FA Cup winning CCFC home kit, and I thought it’d be fun to have the club badge embroidered on the inside, maybe above the inside pocket. I’ve always been slightly dissatisfied with the club crest though, which I felt was overdue for a bit of a tidy up. Not a completely new take like the disastrous Mike McGinnity one from 2005, but an ‘evolution’ of the existing crest, with a more modern feel.

I decided to hire a graphic designer, and worked with him to create this new logo. It didn’t really work out though, and whilst what we came up with together (after many rounds of revisions and feedback) was clearly a cousin of the current logo, I wasn’t quite satisfied with the outcome, so I shelved the idea, and forgot all about the illustration files he’d come up with.

A year or so later I decided to have another play at creating something out of the previous design, and finally came up with something I liked. I’ve been sitting on the design for a while, uncertain exactly what to do with it. I thought maybe it was good enough to share with the club? But maybe that’s crazy talk. What would other actual fans think of it?

A few months back I saw a preview of Nike’s Teamwear range for 2018/19, which includes a sky blue and white striped shirt that I can easily see us using as our kit next season, so I stuck the badge on it. I ended up tweeting this mockup on Friday night as part of a conversation about our Puma shirt history, and then popped the new badge on Twitter itself for good measure.

So I thought, why not share it with a bunch of Sky Blues fans, and get some feedback?

eT3w5IQ.jpg

Anyway, let me know what you think?

Why do we need a new badge? Especially a sub standard one.

Hobo

We don’t need one. This was just for fun. But cheers for pissing on my cornflakes mate.

So you asked for feedback when really you only wanted positive feedback?

Okay, how about this; it has potential with a lot more further work.

kapowaz

So you asked for feedback when really you only wanted positive feedback?

There’s a difference between positive feedback and constructive criticism. So you don’t like it, that’s fair enough - everyone is entitled to an opinion. But calling it ‘substandard’ isn’t useful feedback.

You’re saying it’s objectively not very good, without explaining why you think that, or what you think could be changed to fix it. All I’m left with is that one person doesn’t like it, with no real clue why. In that scenario I might as well just choose to dismiss your opinion as wrong, since it’s not going to affect what I’ve made either way.

Like I say, you’re entitled to your opinion, but you can’t expect me to listen to it (or be pleased to hear it).

Users who are viewing this thread