A Coventry Murder on TV Tonight (1 Viewer)

Liquid Gold

Just got round to watching this. Pretty grim stuff, especially that the murdered lad wasn't involved at all and was just researching how he can start a business.

I grew up just down the road and Riley Square was always best avoided, it's been a shithole for decades. Where I live now had riots and police with guns patrolling in the 80s but is sound as anything whereas some parts of Cov just seem to stagnate.

Edit - I just googled it, appears there has been a load of murders around here too, mainly stabbings and even a similar TV show following the trial of 1 teenager murdering another. Maybe it's just because it's more central with more people around that it doesn't feel dodgy. Something about Bell Green and Wood End has never felt safe to me. Maybe I'm just older and more streetwise.

SG21

Not sure what's going on in Cov, but things are easily getting worse here. Most of the local news now is about someone being killed or drugs etc and it's rare I don't hear a siren around at least five times a day. I'm in an okay area too!

covcity4life

There is a gangland war going on in Cov and this lad seems to have been incorrectly targeted as a CV2 member. These are gangs of kids and young adults. You see some of the daft but intimidating stuff CV2 put out on YouTube. The other bunch of halfwits who’s families don’t originate from Cov but most are born in Cov are just as bad.

Imagine me and my mates making a video of our gang when I was 16....it would be along the lines of. Mess with us and we’ll come and do ratatat ginger on houses in your area....that’s how us bad asses rolled in Binley. 😎😎

Things have not changed bud. It was the same back then..

RedSalmon

Am I imagining it or when Riley Square first opened (late 60's) was there a Sainsbury's there? Seem to remember being dragged round there when I was a kid.

bringbackrattles

Am I imagining it or when Riley Square first opened (late 60's) was there a Sainsbury's there? Seem to remember being dragged round there when I was a kid.
Not sure but when I first moved into the flats in Rikey Square the main supermarket was Kwik Save now Farmfoods. And next door was a Woolies.

Sky Blue Harry H

Just googled something to do with CCFC, and saw a suggested 'Is Coventry rough' question - clicked on the arrow to find

Coventry was recently listed as the 7th most dangerous city in Europe by WorldAtlas, an organisation that ranks global demographic and socioeconomic problems across the globe.

Not easily quantifiable, but I was slightly surprised !!

SG21

Not surprised. Coventry really has become the pits. I'm stuck at home right now (shielding) and all I hear is sirens all day. This is considered a decent part of cov too.

Reactions: KAB

chiefdave

Not surprised. Coventry really has become the pits. I'm stuck at home right now (shielding) and all I hear is sirens all day. This is considered a decent part of cov too.
I live in Finham and get the same. Appreciate there's a lot more trouble in other parts of the city but moving from Portsmouth it has been very noticeable, and I wouldn't exactly class Portsmouth as a great place to live.

One thing that has really stuck out since moving back is not seeing any police on the beat. In Portsmouth I wouldn't often go a day without seeing a foot or cycle patrol. Don't think I've ever seen one since moving back to Cov.

SG21

I live in Finham and get the same. Appreciate there's a lot more trouble in other parts of the city but moving from Portsmouth it has been very noticeable, and I wouldn't exactly class Portsmouth as a great place to live.

One thing that has really stuck out since moving back is not seeing any police on the beat. In Portsmouth I wouldn't often go a day without seeing a foot or cycle patrol. Don't think I've ever seen one since moving back to Cov.

Not trying to be edgy etc, but betweeen the council's inability to think ahead and the general state of the place, it's just not nice to be here. Everything just looks and feels broken. The benefits of living in a city are rapidly going away. I literally don't go into town anymore due to always having to see/deal with something absurd. The city centre is also far too spaced out for no real reason too. Try arriving here by train like my friend did once. It's so far away from the city centre, you're not entirely sure you're going the right way.

Last edited:

hill83

Think people are going way overboard here. Admittedly I’m not out and about nearly as much as usual due to lockdown but I rarely see any trouble at all and haven’t seen or heard a police car for months. (Not necessarily a good thing as I would like more police on patrol). Maybe it’s all sunshine and flowers in Earlsdon. Saying that I’ve been to Hillfields and Stoke Aldemoor to drop things off for family and still not seen anything bad and you’d be expecting that in those areas.
And I drive through Stoke, Wyken and Walsgrave to get to work. And Tile Hill/Eastern Green. Nothing.

Last edited:

Nick

Administrator
Think people are going way overboard here. Admittedly I’m not out and about nearly as much as usual due to lockdown but I rarely see any trouble at all and haven’t seen or heard a police car for months. (Not necessarily a good thing as I would like more police on patrol). Maybe it’s all sunshine and flowers in Earlsdon. Saying that I’ve been to Hillfields and Stoke Aldemoor to drop things off for family and still not seen anything bad and you’d be expecting that in those areas.
And I drive through Stoke, Wyken and Walsgrave to get to work. And Tile Hill/Eastern Green. Nothing.

It was all kicking off in Tile Hill the other day on Broad Lane.

SG21

There was two stabbings in Wyken this week too.

First time I moved here I went through Woodend and saw nothing. Since then, I've seen loads. No where is perfect, but Cov seems to have an underline problem that won't go away.

hill83

It was all kicking off in Tile Hill the other day on Broad Lane.

I missed that by an hour. Stabbing wasn’t it? Glad those roadworks have gone now. Took me ages getting through one set then straight into another.

rondog1973

No, you're not imagining RS. Sainsbury's was where Farmfoods is now. Kwik Save was there prior to that having previously been located towards the top end (near Bell Green club end of Riley Square). Farmfoods was also on this plot prior to where it is now!

hill83

Doesn't mean it doesn't happen. The first time I moved here I went through Woodend and saw nothing. Since then, I've seen loads. No where is perfect, but Cov seems to have an underline problem that won't go away.

Of course it happens, but equally you aren’t hearing sirens all day everyday.

hill83

Nick

Administrator
I missed that by an hour. Stabbing wasn’t it? Glad those roadworks have gone now. Took me ages getting through one set then straight into another.

Fucking hell surprised there wasn't more stabbings because of them. Yeah, air ambulances, police etc etc.

SG21

We'll have to respectfully disagree then. Of all the places I've lived/been, cov is pretty low on that list to return.

hill83

Fucking hell surprised there wasn't more stabbings because of them. Yeah, air ambulances, police etc etc.

I was raging. First day back at school for all kids. Let’s stick up a load of 4 junction traffic light roadworks on the only main road into and out of the area.

hill83

We'll have to respectfully disagree then. Of all the places I've lived/been, cov is pretty low on that list to return.

Thats fair enough. I’m not saying Coventry is great because it isn’t. Clearly isn’t.

RedSalmon

No, you're not imagining RS. Sainsbury's was where Farmfoods is now. Kwik Save was there prior to that having previously been located towards the top end (near Bell Green club end of Riley Square). Farmfoods was also on this plot prior to where it is now!

Thought so, remember my mum doing her shopping in Riley Square and dropping in to Sainsbury's. It was really nice with lot's of different shops at the time.

RedSalmon

The 'stabbing' in Tile Hill, does anyone know what the implement was?

Agree about the lack of police on the streets, the only time I ever see a policeman is when they are in a car racing to an incident, never see one on the beat anymore and that has got to be due to the fact that a lot were made redundant /took early retirement from 2010 and austerity. Policing seems to rely on CCTV more and more these days and seems to be reactive rather than proactive in terms of preventing crime in the first place (police on the beat).

Equally I don't want to live in a 'police state' where there is a policeman on every corner asking me what I am doing, but a bit more of a presence on the streets would be appreciated.

SG21

The 'stabbing' in Tile Hill, does anyone know what the implement was?

Agree about the lack of police on the streets, the only time I ever see a policeman is when they are in a car racing to an incident, never see one on the beat anymore and that has got to be due to the fact that a lot were made redundant /took early retirement from 2010 and austerity. Policing seems to rely on CCTV more and more these days and seems to be reactive rather than proactive in terms of preventing crime in the first place (police on the beat).

Equally I don't want to live in a 'police state' where there is a policeman on every corner asking me what I am doing, but a bit more of a presence on the streets would be appreciated.

All we know is, a 16 year old stabbed someone and a 15 year old assulted an elderly person. Not just cov related, but this is one of the problems with the approach the police take now. They wait for you to be robbed, attacked etc then act. It's too late then! They should be out preventing crime, lowering the chances of criminals trying it in the first place.

hill83

All we know is, a 16 year old stabbed someone and a 15 year old assulted an elderly person. Not just cov related, but this is one of the problems with the approach the police take now. They wait for you to be robbed, attacked etc then act. It's too late then! They should be out preventing crime, lowering the chances of criminals getting away with it in the first place.

Like Minority Report.

Last edited:

clint van damme

It was the roughest city in Western Europe at one point in the 80s apparently so we're moving in the right direction!
I would also say that if you Google Europe's roughest cities you'll get numerous sites with numerous different list that don't align with each other.
I'll say it again, Coventry is in a bad place at the moment but let's not blow it out of proportion.

fernandopartridge

Yeah, there was. It closed around the time the one opened on the old Morris engines site (late 80s maybe 1990?) and became Kwik Save

Users who are viewing this thread