9/11 (1 Viewer)

Evo1883

I was in the infantry, so I weirdly loved tabbing! I was in my element out on the hills!

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

To be fair, I would have been suited to the infantry, unbelievably head strong back then and super fit... Used to clock a BPFA at 7:11... Loved tabbing the lot... Then I got to my regiment and booze and girls took over 😂

Evo1883

Good chatting anyway pasty..I do look back on the army quite fondly, me and the lads are renting a house near Devon for a weekend in the spring next year... Going to be a good crack

B-Ban-Boogie

I was talking to my American counter part on the phone when this happened.
The significant thing about this was that G. Bush was at Booker High School in Sarasota when he heard the news.. (you know the film where one of his aids leans in and tells him whats going on and he looks like he has no idea what the fuck to do).
Well Booker High School was 3 miles from our US facility of where my mate worked and the fire alarm went off so everyone had to go outside as 'Airforce One' was across the street at SRQ (Sarasota and Bradenton Airport) and there was fear that there was a possible attack on the President and his plane.

So everyone is out in the car park...and as one of our facilities is at the end of the airport runway, many have told me that they have never seen a plane (let alone a 747) leave the ground and go STRAIGHT UP like airforce one did.
There were also rumors (as a motorcade flew down a nearby dual carriage way) that Bush wasn't even on the plane.

It was a big thing around Sarasota for a while as the pilots of the planes had lessons at nearby Venice airport as the three hijackers lived in Venice for six months in 2000 as they learned to fly at Huffman Aviation and the Florida Flight Training Center.
There was also rumor that they had ties with a Saudi family that lived in a fancy golf community in Sarasota and the family upped and left that very same night never to be seen again.

Sarasota Link

Last edited:

RegTheDonk

I was driving to Peterborough for the cup game with my dad. Listening to Alan Parry describing it all, was horriffic and worrying, not knowing who was doing what.

Most frightening thing though, diving back after dropping him off - had to go past Brum airport around middnight, there was some temp speed restrictions on the A45 which I didn't clock. Speed camera flashed and lit up the car, I thought a nuke had gone off or something daft, nearly shit myself.

LastGarrison

Was sat in work up at Westwood Business Park and my Old Man rang to tell me. Whole office just stopped, straight on the internet, can remember the BBC site going down.

Horrific scenes and I have often thought about the ‘jumpers’. Imagine your thought process? Do I burn to death or jump to my death. Imagine being in that situation. Horrifying.

I’ve thought about it quite a bit over the years and like (?) to think I’d be a jumper.........

Mcbean

I was in the US in a meeting with the big dogs of our company 20 of us - a secretary came in the door and made straight for the VP - he then said that someone had crash landed a plane into the twin towers thinking it was a light plane - they turned the monitor on and we watched in silence - when the second plane went in most turned their heads from the screen - a break ensued when most got on the phone to assure their loved ones they were not flying including me - the next day we had planned a trip to Idaho to an exhibition and we decided to do it so in the Van was 2 Americans , a Frenchman , a Brazilian myself and a German - we listened to the radio all the way - our driver was an ex Korean war intelligence officer - I heard things from him that I would never want to encounter in film let alone be faced with - he could imagine what was happening in AF1 . We stopped in a redneck town to hear the Presidents address that day in a bar - silence again surreal ! Took me 2 days to get home and 4 flights - being polite and travelling with hand luggage opened some doors to speed my return in the airports which were in chaos - sobering happening - never forgotten the firefighters and rescue staff who gave their lives As well as those in the towers themselves - they had no idea what hit them rest in peace

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I was at work and one of the partners came in asking if we'd heard the news. I thought he was talking about the football as Strachan had been sacked the day before I think and we might have got his replacement in, but he said about then towers.

Went to get some milk from the shops shortly after and they had a TV on in the corner. Never taken me so long to get something from the shops as I was just stood watching the TV for ages. It felt like it was going to change the world straight away. A bit like you felt coronavirus would.

Brighton Sky Blue

19 years is a long time.

But do you remember where you were when you heard or saw what happened?

Me, i came home from school, year 7 at the time and remarked to my mum 'what films this?'

Only her silence and the live time being on the screen gave me the answer that it wasnt

I was in Year 7 as well and was already getting told off by my form teacher, got picked up and my dad told me ‘something very bad’s happened in America’. Didn’t fully understand at the time

shmmeee

Remember it clear as day, was packing for uni, coming down the stairs with my TV in my hand when I looked into the front room and it was on the news. Thought at first it was just bad piloting then saw the second plane hit.

Still not sure it changed the world.

Evo1883

Remember it clear as day, was packing for uni, coming down the stairs with my TV in my hand when I looked into the front room and it was on the news. Thought at first it was just bad piloting then saw the second plane hit.

It began a change in much of that region and western Europe and parts of Asia as a result over the last 20 years. Wouldn't say the world

Imagine how much different things would be now if we never invaded afghan or Iraq

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I think it did. Ever since terrorism has been a major buzzword used to increasingly restrict freedoms or 'spy' on people. Half of the laws that have been passed around the world allowing greater access to data would've been a lot harder to justify were it not for an event like that. Not to say it wouldn't have then just occurred elsewhere at a later date but as this is where is actually happened this is the event that changed it all.

clint van damme

I think it did. Ever since terrorism has been a major buzzword used to increasingly restrict freedoms or 'spy' on people. Half of the laws that have been passed around the world allowing greater access to data would've been a lot harder to justify were it not for an event like that. Not to say it wouldn't have then just occurred elsewhere at a later date but as this is where is actually happened this is the event that changed it all.

it amazes me that people who willingly allowed their freedoms to be taken in the war on terror (and I'm not saying they were wrong to in the circumstances), now see wearing a mask as the gateway to the erosion of their civil liberties.

shmmeee

I think the Internet making it possible to spy on everyone is what made that happen more than 9/11. Communication got a lot more digital in the 2000s and people started to care more. GCHQ have been tapping phones and opening mail as long as they’ve been around.

Users who are viewing this thread