9/11 (1 Viewer)

Saddlebrains

19 years is a long time.

But do you remember where you were when you heard or saw what happened?

Me, i came home from school, year 7 at the time and remarked to my mum 'what films this?'

Only her silence and the live time being on the screen gave me the answer that it wasnt

clint van damme

I remember my gaffer saying some idiots just flown a plane in to the world trade centre!
He was then frantically trying to get hold of his brother who lived in New York, turned out he was on a beach in the Bahamas

Evo1883

19 years is a long time.

But do you remember where you were when you heard or saw what happened?

Me, i came home from school, year 7 at the time and remarked to my mum 'what films this?'

Only her silence and the live time being on the screen gave me the answer that it wasnt

I was at home watching TV when it came on, watched the second plane hit live... Shocking

xcraigx

I was sat upstairs watching MTV2. Eventually I wandered off downstairs to find the rest of the family sat watching it on the news. I then watched the live aftermath until the very early hours in absolute disbelief. There's often 9/11 related shows on the various History TV channels and still now I just sit there and can't really take it all in.

Evo1883

At that time something like that was unheard of in many ways... And it genuinely shocked alot of people around the world

Saddlebrains

It was such a massive event, where i genuinely feel the world has never been the same since.

As mentioned above, even now the documentaries that have the phonecalls to loved ones from people in the towers, and footage of the planes hitting. Truly horrific even so long after

pastythegreat

Phase 1 training, Harrogate. I joined the Army on the 9th September 2001, only 2 days before hand. It wasn't until 6 weeks later when I came home for my first leave that I actually seen how truly devastating it was as up until that point I'd only seen pictures in a newspaper. We were all adamant that we were going to war, they would cut our training short and send us looking for Bin Laden so young and naive we all were!

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Evo1883

I still don't think ive ever heard a more harrowing phone call than the bloke who was on the phone to 911 as the tower fell

fernandopartridge

I went to the new world trade centre a couple of years ago. The 911 museum there is really interesting, although I do find it a bit crass in some respects.

The picture below is the footprint of one of the towers. They're both like this now.
3808a8b383c1a62bbb86190a4ccd954c.jpg

clint van damme

The new big one. That goes down into the foundations.

Did you notice at the end the last display tries to explain a little bit about the politics behind it and why it happened but it doesn't once mention Saudi Arabia even though that's where most the attackers and Bin Laden were from. Found that a bit weird.

shepardo01

Had flown out of New York a week earlier. Towers were a spectacular sight.

Had just started my first full time job on the Monday (9/11 was the Tuesday if I recall) after graduating University, was a big fan of Chris Moyles drive show.
Knew nothing until put radio on and the show was just music, no talking until the news - very sombre. Didn't quite get it until I got home and turned on the TV!

Had been doing some work over in the states, most in Pennsylvania (not that far from where one of the planes went down) so upon arriving home, tried calling friends over there.
All the lines were jammed for hours and hours. (Mobiles weren't massively common then so was land lines)
Had a footy game myself that night. Minutes silence but was a weird atmosphere.
Didn't get through to friends in the US until around midnight here.

Still can't believe it when I see footage.
Have been back a few times and the memorial is a spectacular sight that brings a tear to your eye.

Tommo1993

Did you notice at the end the last display tries to explain a little bit about the politics behind it and why it happened but it doesn't once mention Saudi Arabia even though that's where most the attackers and Bin Laden were from. Found that a bit weird.

I did and wondered if that was even totally and necessary at all. I also found it shocking that out of everyone there, the Americans were by far the least respectful about it all.

speedie87

Was watching the bbc and think it cut to the news after neighbours......either I was very innocent then or the news didn’t have a clue but remember thinking it was accident even when the 2nd one hit

Then went to Peterborough and saw us get knocked cup on pens!

pastythegreat

it's the event that lead me to serve in Afghanistan several years later.. At the time It happened i had no idea that I'd be in the army.. Such is life
What year did you go Afghan Evo? What regerment were you in?

Blind-Faith

Although I wish it had never happened, it’s the thing I am most fascinated by. Could watch the programmes all day long.

A truly shocking moment in history. Watching the clips back, especially the first plane going in, still can’t really take it in, feels like it’s more of a film.

Although I hate flying anyway, is on the bucket list of places to visit

pastythegreat

I went to afghan in 2006, I was in the royal artillery mate you?

Cyprus UN 2003
Iraq 2004
Afghan 2006 herrick 5

Afghan went October 2006 I came home in April 2007
Was you 26 regiment?

Cyprus UN. Loved Cyprus. Was there for nearly 2 years before I left. Bit later than that though, I was in Belfast in 2003. Iraq 2005. Afghan 2006 then I left the Army not long afterwards.
I left Afghan not long after you arrived, could have crossed paths at some point.

Evo1883

Was you 26 regiment?

Cyprus UN. Loved Cyprus. Was there for nearly 2 years before I left. Bit later than that though, I was in Belfast in 2003. Iraq 2005. Afghan 2006 then I left the Army not long afterwards.
I left Afghan not long after you arrived, could have crossed paths at some point.

No mate 32 regiment, I was originally in 22 regt but it was disbanded and I was sent to Salisbury plain 😂😂
Originally was to join 29 commando regiment but managed to get it changed during training

The tour of Cyprus (if you can call it that) was amazing... Worked at the buffer zone and the UN paid for us to have our R&R in paphos for 2 weeks with some spending money chucked in too.. Spent most the 6 months pissed 😁

Last edited:

pastythegreat

No mate 32 regiment, I was originally in 22 regt but it was disbanded and I was sent to Salisbury plain
Salisbury, completely non discript is all I can say about that place. Stayed in the camp on the edge of the training area for 2 months while I did my SF GPMG cardre.
Just guessed you would have been 26 assuming you're from Cov?

Evo1883

Salisbury, completely non discript is all I can say about that place. Stayed in the camp on the edge of the training area for 2 months while I did my SF GPMG cardre.
Just guessed you would have been 26 assuming you're from Cov?

Yea from cov, I went to a Welsh regiment first 22 regt...il be honest though it's been that long I can't exactly remember how it come about that I went to 22 regt instead of 29... My memory is fucking terrible... I trained at Pirbright... Harrogate was for the younger lads wasn't it, a year training?

pastythegreat

Yea from cov, I went to a Welsh regiment first 22 regt...il be honest though it's been that long I can't exactly remember how it come about that I went to 22 regt instead of 29... My memory is fucking terrible... I trained at Pirbright
What year was you in Pirbright?

Users who are viewing this thread