87 cup final thread (1 Viewer)

Blind-Faith

That’s some finish.

From watching this I would of said my favourite player back in the day would be Micky Gynn

chiefdave

Never noticed before, but how come Spurs are missing sponsors on half their kits?
The story I heard is that as it was a new kit design they'd be shipped in boxes. At one point the youth team were going to wear the same shirt in an end of season tournament so some were supplied without sponsors (as it was a beer). The plan then changed and the youth team wore their existing shirts so when they got sent off to have FA Cup Final embroidered on them the hitman sent the whole lot and they all got mixed in together.

better days

It's like watching a different game in many ways, ball up to the big man who takes it on his chest or knocks off to a nearby team mate as the defenders stand off

CV3_PUSB

Sisu and The Council have robbed the club of reaching our potential! That show has made my Saturday night.

oscillatewildly

Can’t believe we’ve not made it to headline news!
ITV making something called ‘CoronaVirus’ their headline subject? Madness! They’ve never liked us! :emoji_angry:
Vomit inducing - watching Newbon sucking up to the City group on the eve of the game. That twat, Bob Hall used to speak in disparaging terms about us too.
And Shaw Taylor exaggerated about the level of crime in Cov in the '70's.

SlowerThanPlatt

With the money in the game it looks nigh on impossible for a club like us to win a major trophy again or establish ourselves in the Premier League

It’s only been won three times since by an unfashionable club

Post #87 :)

SlowerThanPlatt

I’m just reading up now on the St.Mirren Anglo Scottish game. It says it was cancelled because of a poor attendance. Was anyone there and what was the attendance, was it a low attendance in protest because we weren’t allowed to play in Europe or because just no one was interested?

Happy_Martian

Think you've all been a bit premature. We played Liverpool today 2nd May at home and won 1-0. Our Final was on the 16th May, that's in 2 weeks time :D

Legia Sky Blue

It's like watching a different game in many ways, ball up to the big man who takes it on his chest or knocks off to a nearby team mate as the defenders stand off

The defenders stood off in this instance as they couldn't compete with Regis and Houchen on the day. It was what teams commonly did when a forward had real aerial presence. When teams defended against Duncan Ferguson they would similarly stand off him and look to hold their defensive line, and try to pick up his knock down or layoff, rather than commit a defender to a lost cause. In the modern games teams defend against such a player by putting a midfielder in front of the centre forward and a centre half behind him, restricting his movement and ability to bring the ball down. Of course in this instance we had 2 such forwards, which teams don't really have these days, making it a harder defensive tactic to employ.

oscillatewildly

I’m just reading up now on the St.Mirren Anglo Scottish game. It says it was cancelled because of a poor attendance. Was anyone there and what was the attendance?
Got the programme, never went to the game. Feel I should take my share of the blame if that's the real reason for no second leg. Makes for an interesting piece of sporting 'Babylon' tho.

Legia Sky Blue

You can tell oggy coached burge

He definitely had a shaky afternoon, but to be fair to him he made some big saves in the semi final to help get us to this day. Luckily his team mates rose to the occasion - Gynn, McGrath, Bennett, Houchen and Regis particularly were fantastic. What made it even more satisfying was that Spurs were very good and played pretty well, but even so we still beat them, despite the likes of Waddle and Allen being at the top of their games.

skybluesam66

i only record
With the money in the game it looks nigh on impossible for a club like us to win a major trophy again or establish ourselves in the Premier League

It’s only been won three times since by an unfashionable club

Post #87 :)
true but many runners up -which is not far off

palace
forest
sunderland
sheff wed
middlesbrough
newcastle
villa
southampton
millwall
west ham
cardiff
portsmouth
stoke
hull
watford

14 teams who maybe excepting Watford, probably were all given as much chance as
we were v spurs
Wimbledon v liverpool
wigan v man city

only portsmouth of the unfancied clubs were actually expected to win

Legia Sky Blue

The players seem to have so much time and space, is like the pitch is 5 times bigger

It was hot and the game was incessant from start to finish, with both sides priority being to play offensively rather than defensively, which made it fairly unique for a cup final. Fitness levels are higher these days of course, but even now given the type of game it was, modern players would also have been breathing out there arses come extra time.

Terry Gibson's perm

I’m just reading up now on the St.Mirren Anglo Scottish game. It says it was cancelled because of a poor attendance. Was anyone there and what was the attendance, was it a low attendance in protest because we weren’t allowed to play in Europe or because just no one was interested?

I did I was in the west end as I don’t think the whole ground was open, my memory is a bit fuzzy from then but I do think St mirren did bring some fans, James Raffles dad was running the minibuses for the return leg;)

shepardo01

The story I heard is that as it was a new kit design they'd be shipped in boxes. At one point the youth team were going to wear the same shirt in an end of season tournament so some were supplied without sponsors (as it was a beer). The plan then changed and the youth team wore their existing shirts so when they got sent off to have FA Cup Final embroidered on them the hitman sent the whole lot and they all got mixed in together.
Same kit man that forgot the away kit for the game at HR earlier in the season!?!!???

Grendel

I really couldn’t be bothered I was with some people today and they said they were going back to watch the football - when they said to me what they meant i thought really has it come down to this. Next I’ll be getting my Morris marina back and driving it around

DannyThomas_1981

I was there in the Main Stand for the St. Mirren game and it was all a bit surreal. Low attendance and felt more like a pre-season type game.

Talking of the Cup season: One game that should get more of a mention on here (in terms of the best atmosphere at HR; was the opening game of the new season against Spurs) after we won the Cup. The atmosphere at the start of that game as the teams walked on was absolutely electric.

I was watching an interview with Kilkline, Houchen and Benno on youtube a couple of weeks back, and their view was that our FA Cup team was young and should not have been broken up. I think that's a view also shared by Sillett - for all of Speedie's brilliance he was very disruptive in the dressing room and near unmanageable. Adding a top class left back to the Cup Final team was probably the only immediate change required.

Grendel

I was there in the Main Stand for the St. Mirren game and it was all a bit surreal. Low attendance and felt more like a pre-season type game.

Talking of the Cup season: One game that should get more of a mention on here (in terms of the best atmosphere at HR; was the opening game of the new season against Spurs) after we won the Cup. The atmosphere at the start of that game as the teams walked on was absolutely electric.

I was watching an interview with Kilkline, Houchen and Benno on youtube a couple of weeks back, and their view was that our FA Cup team was young and should not have been broken up. I think that's a view also shared by Sillett - for all of Speedie's brilliance he was very disruptive in the dressing room and near unmanageable. Adding a top class left back to the Cup Final team was probably the only immediate change required.

We didn’t break it up.

Magwitch

Agree 100% I don’t think Regis and Houchen played together again after the Final, chalk and cheese as players but their partnership worked. A new top class left back was all we needed at the time, remember two of our best players Borrows and Emerson didn’t play and Phillips a midfield regular was out of position.

Users who are viewing this thread