22 Premier League next season (1 Viewer)

Grendel

Of course it won't, but IMO having an average of say 10k people in close proximity at 45 football grounds over a weekend means around half a million people in danger of getting infected all at the same time. They might crowd in a pub afterwards, and then home, work on Monday etc, bringing hundreds of thousands if not millions more into contact in a very short space of time. That's basically a 'pox party' and will do nothing to 'flatten the curve' allowing the health service to cope with it.

Shops where you might get a few thousand per day over a bigger area will result in the infection spreading, but nowhere near as quickly as somewhere like a football game. That does help flatten the curve a little bit. Of course people panicking and flocking to the supermarket doesn't help at all.

So I can understand entirely why this measure has been brought in. If anything it may be a bit late because even last weeks games could have resulted in high transmission with people with the virus but not yet showing symptoms. But far better to do it now that even later.

I was talking about why players have to self isolate - and you are far more likely to get it in a pub than a football ground

shmmeee

I was talking about why players have to self isolate - and you are far more likely to get it in a pub than a football ground

Dont the people who would be going to the pub right now go to the pub before and after the game anyway? Pubs are empty according to reports I’ve seen so not sure I buy this argument even if that were true.

shmmeee

Its still hundreds of people together in one place. It is a mass gathering.

It is, but all of these things are a balance. Kids off means workers off or vulnerable people doing childcare. Football matches don’t. Also you tend to be closer together for longer at a match/concert than in a lesson.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Possibly - people's hygiene in pubs is shocking (though some at the football are no better)

Difference is in a pub you won't have thousands or tens of thousands in at once, and at popular games in very close proximity to another. So even if you're less likely to catch it the sheer number would result in more transmissions overall I reckon and a quicker spread.

Plus if they go to the pub first, contract it there through poor hygiene then go to the match that's even worse.

Nick

Administrator
It is, but all of these things are a balance. Kids off means workers off or vulnerable people doing childcare. Football matches don’t. Also you tend to be closer together for longer at a match/concert than in a lesson.
Oh I agree it's just that a school is a mass gathering is self.

I'm sure it won't be too long though

Grendel

Dont the people who would be going to the pub right now go to the pub before and after the game anyway? Pubs are empty according to reports I’ve seen so not sure I buy this argument even if that were true.

Don’t know what pubs you go to I’ve seen no decline

Grendel

Possibly - people's hygiene in pubs is shocking (though some at the football are no better)

Difference is in a pub you won't have thousands or tens of thousands in at once, and at popular games in very close proximity to another. So even if you're less likely to catch it the sheer number would result in more transmissions overall I reckon and a quicker spread.

Plus if they go to the pub first, contract it there through poor hygiene then go to the match that's even worse.

It’s absurd to ban outdoor gatherings

Magwitch

Another issue in making the Premiership a 22 team league is Sky would have to agree stumping up over £200 million extra unless each current Prem club give up about £10 mill. towards it, can you see that happening ?

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

It’s absurd to ban outdoor gatherings

Even when those gatherings are likely to see people in very close proximity to one another, certainly rubbing shoulders together and pushing past people? Closer contact than you'd get in most indoor places.

Otis

Another issue in making the Premiership a 22 team league is Sky would have to agree stumping up over £200 million extra unless each current Prem club give up about £10 mill. towards it, can you see that happening ?
They would maybe get more TV rights for the one season.

Grendel

Even when those gatherings are likely to see people in very close proximity to one another, certainly rubbing shoulders together and pushing past people? Closer contact than you'd get in most indoor places.

It isn’t closed contact though is it? I’m going to concerts next week in tiny venues that are sold out - shall I breath down the phone afterwards - would you have stayed at home today if the game was on?

Brighton Sky Blue

That is the obvious answer we have to wait now until April but I cannot see any reason why that can’t happen perhaps could have happened for today’s game.

Definitely could considering we have nobody in self isolation and nor do Shrewsbury or in fact most other teams in our league. Our crowd wouldn't have been much higher than Notts County who played today. Such a pile of bullshit.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Then at least play the games behind closed doors

That would be acceptable yes, maybe even preferable. Probably result in some transmission but on a small scale, allowing for the flattening of the curve. Even with a handful of fans who'd probably turn up outside anyway it'd be ok.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

It isn’t closed contact though is it? I’m going to concerts next week in tiny venues that are sold out - shall I breath down the phone afterwards - would you have stayed at home today if the game was on?

It is close contact. At any given event I probably come into direct contact with well over a dozen complete strangers inadvertently on the concourse, getting to and from the seat, the train, even the toilets as you go through the door let alone all the surfaces I might unthinkly touch that many others also have.

I wasn't intending on going today as the person I'd normally go with was working rather than due to the virus, but if they weren't and we were planning on going I'd have probably decided against it by late Thu as I've got vulnerable people in my close contacts. Was also considering going to the Blaze but decided against it a few hours before they called the fixtures off.

Grendel

It is close contact. At any given event I probably come into direct contact with well over a dozen complete strangers inadvertently on the concourse, getting to and from the seat, the train, even the toilets as you go through the door let alone all the surfaces I might unthinkly touch that many others also have.

I wasn't intending on going today as the person I'd normally go with was working rather than due to the virus, but if they weren't and we were planning on going I'd have probably decided against it by late Thu as I've got vulnerable people in my close contacts. Was also considering going to the Blaze but decided against it a few hours before they called the fixtures off.

It’s likely this virus will last for 2 years so enjoy your isolation

Brighton Sky Blue

That would be acceptable yes, maybe even preferable. Probably result in some transmission but on a small scale, allowing for the flattening of the curve. Even with a handful of fans who'd probably turn up outside anyway it'd be ok.

If you caught it you would comfortably survive and that goes for the overwhelming majority who would go.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

If you caught it you would comfortably survive and that goes for the overwhelming majority who would go.

Almost certainly. But if I got it and then passed it on to someone who might not later..... Especially at a time when the NHS is still near capacity with winter diseases.

I'm expecting I'll probably pick it up at some stage but if I can prevent it for as long as possible for the sake of others then I will.

TTG

giphy.gif

skyblue025

They won't scrap League or EFL cups. They have contracts with sponsors and sold the tv rights for the competitions. EFL clubs will also not want to lose the revenue from drawing a Prem team in the league cup.

The only sensible thing to do is too finish this season whenever they can start to play again. 8 or 9 games can be played in 4 or 5 weeks if need be. Even if we started in June they would still have time to get it done.

Brighton Sky Blue

It can leave lung damage .

For games to be played behind closed doors we are talking about not many more people being present than the players and staff, with some light security. The chance of infection would be extremely low and I would again reiterate that few League 1 players have even self isolated, never mind been infected. In those who have recovered and are still short of their previous lung capacity, we don't know if that is permanent or not but if pneumonia is anything to go by, it will at most take a period of months to get that back rather than being permanent.

What is most important is that we keep the most at-risk out of harm's way.

Otis

I agree.

I am now of the mind that if there are three weeks of no games and players self-isolating, they can then all play games behind closed doors.

I think after this long period without football, people will be so desperate for games, that it will be totally championed and let's face it, after staying at home and so much cancelled everywhere, it will give the country a much needed boost.

Happy_Martian

My real worry is they are actually saying only the top 2 from from the Champ would go up. Enlarge the PL for a season and the Football League stays as it is. So no promotions from L1 and L2 etc.

Considering SISU's history of wanting battle in the courtroom, I'd imagine Joy would be ringing her lawyers mere seconds after if this were announced. The EFL are spineless so they won't do anything that requires them to defend a decision.

Covstu

I think what pisses me off is that all this discussion is purely around Liverpool and no other teams, technically they are the easiest to sort as it has no impact on any other team. CL spots are still up for grabs, relegation places all worth 100m a piece. Just worried that league one and two will get lost in this Melee and probably the biggest impact financially. The OP is a sensible option if this works down the leagues but my preference is to finish the league

Covkid1968#

I think what pisses me off is that all this discussion is purely around Liverpool and no other teams, technically they are the easiest to sort as it has no impact on any other team. CL spots are still up for grabs, relegation places all worth 100m a piece. Just worried that league one and two will get lost in this Melee and probably the biggest impact financially. The OP is a sensible option if this works down the leagues but my preference is to finish the league
Yep completely...... not even the slightest nod of recognition when actually these promotions and relegations are massive as you go down the leagues. The move from non league to league is a game changer for clubs and the decision in the top league will have an impact...... but you would hardly know it !!! The more detailed commentary and Conversation still just stops with Leeds and WBA

Users who are viewing this thread