21/22 Summer transfer mega-thread (3 Viewers)

Frostie

Apparently we are after Nathan Baker from Bristol City

Can understand us having an interest. Strong in the tackle, good in the air & left footed which would give us much better balance.
I'm not convinced he's as good on the ball as our existing CB's & obvious question marks over his fitness issues but these might be the type of risks we need to take.

South West Sky Blue

Didn’t they pay a lot for him at one stage? Has he been released?
Think it was an undisclosed fee at the time. However the Bristol post ran an article several months later that they had worked out from the accounts that it was around £4m.
I’m saying all of this from memory 5+ years ago. I’m sure 30 seconds of internet research could destroy my unique insight!

aloisijohnnyaloisi

Predominantly yeah but can also play through the middle.

Obvious fit would be if Luton go back in for him but not sure if Onyedinma's signing might change that. Think he'll have quite a few suitors at this level.
Yeah agreed, I think he could play more centrally in the O'Hare role. If the box midfield came back then O'Hare and Edwards behind the striker would be well nice.

Also be good to have players who can play wider to offer some more flexibility.

PVA

Barry Douglas released by Leeds.

Left back, on loan at Blackburn last season. Not sure what he's like as a wing back but brilliant left foot, excellent crosser and good on set pieces.

Wages possibly an issue for us.

Cityandproud87

Left back, on loan at Blackburn last season. Not sure what he's like as a wing back but brilliant left foot, excellent crosser and good on set pieces.

He's a great left back, will have half the championship to choose from.

Ccfcisparks

He was brilliant down the Wolves the year they got promoted. He'd probably be first choice set piece taker.

Sky Blue Harry H

Even aside from Nathan Baker's injury record, here is an underwhelming example of comments on the Bristol City forum

Not for me, we suffer in possession with Baker in the side, it’s either a 10 yard pass to FB, CB or GK or more likely a 40 yard lump upfield losing possession usually. I’ve only ever seen him have one game in a city shirt where you’d think he was good with the ball at his feet.

it makes it too easy for the opposition, block other passing options, encourage him to come out with the ball a bit, press, wait for long ball and recollect possession

Wish him well, but I wouldn't want to be buying into that sort of player, coupled with a handful of games completed last season.

Last edited:

procdoc

Even aside from Nathan Baker's injury record, here is an underwhelming example of comments on the bristol City forum

Not for me, we suffer in possession with Baker in the side, it’s either a 10 yard pass to FB, CB or GK or more likely a 40 yard lump upfield losing possession usually. I’ve only ever seen him have one game in a city shirt where you’d think he was good with the ball at his feet.

it makes it too easy for the opposition, block other passing options, encourage him to come out with the ball a bit, press, wait for long ball and recollect possession

Wish him well, but I wouldn't want to be buying into that sort of player, coupled with a handful of games completed last season.
I take the views of most supporters with a pinch of salt. Some of our fans don’t rate Matty James for example

Sky Blue Harry H

I take the views of most supporters with a pinch of salt. Some of our fans don’t rate Matty James for example

Age, injury record already had me wary. Much sooner invest in an up and coming youngster, or at least someone who comes with a clean bill of health. We will already start the season with fitness doubts over the likes of Da Costa, Dabo, Godden, Kelly and Jones from the existing squad. We will always pick up knocks, but forewarned is forearmed.

Esoterica

Age, injury record already had me wary. Much sooner invest in an up and coming youngster, or at least someone who comes with a clean bill of health. We will already start the season with fitness doubts over the likes of Da Costa, Dabo, Godden, Kelly and Jones from the existing squad. We will always pick up knocks, but forewarned is forearmed.
A forearmed goalkeeper would be a good investment too!

CDK

Think wingers are not important as we tend to use offensive full backs,so think budget will spent elsewhere.

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

Think wingers are not important as we tend to use offensive full backs,so think budget will spent elsewhere.
I don’t necessarily think we look at what positions they play. If they have the necessary attributes in the data driven recruitment era, then we’ll approach them

Users who are viewing this thread