21/22 Summer transfer mega-thread (12 Viewers)

Grendel

You'd be mad not to have taken Reece Burke

Gomes was allegedly perused by clubs as well - a gamble but the type worth taking for low budget championship clubs

slowpoke

I fail to see why we extended Wilson’s contract if we are signing two goalkeepers - it’s hardly as if he will attract a fee
If it’s true there’s two keepers coming in it is a bit of a strange one re. Wilson’s contract although to be fair I consider him an okay reserve, but it also puts a question mark on Tom Billson 21 in October he should by now be making a serious challenge to be number two atleast.

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

You'd be mad not to have taken Reece Burke
Admittedly I didn’t watch Hull a lot last season, but the times I did I didn’t see him offer anything different or massively better than what we had. I’d like to think we’ll get Ostigard one way or the other - possibly on loan.

Gomes was allegedly perused by clubs as well - a gamble but the type worth taking for low budget championship clubs
He’s the same unknown quantity as Jones, we can’t be going into the season spending money on him and having 2 players that may not be championship standard

Grendel

Unlikely. A small sum of money and you run the risk of losing your target to someone else.

Happened before with these owners

Colin Steins Smile

The club will be doing it to save money by delaying the contract signing in all probability
That's a likely scenario, as until the players return the clubs been using the furlough scheme to subsidies players wages. Secondly, I would expect contracts to have been signed, but with a scheduled start date of 1st July 2021.

It might be a case that the marketing and PR staff are furloughed and hence there has been no announcements.

shmmeee

I personally can’t wait for the club tweeting “signing incoming”, the fans getting excited only for it to be the permanent signing of Ben Sheaf

For the good of Sheaf, I hope they don’t build it up like that and just confirm that the option was taken up.

The meltdown will be incredible

In my less sane moments I have been wondering if they’ve been waiting for another signing just so the first announcement isn’t Sheaf.

CDK

The only positive is players like the ones interested in being mentioned by posters,Paterson,Walsh haven't signed for any other club as far as we know so fingers crossed.

SlowerThanPlatt

Josh Eccles in the EFL’s “Four rising stars to look out for in 21/22”

Josh Eccles – Coventry City (Championship)

Josh Eccles started his career in the youth system at boyhood club Coventry City, where he signed his first professional contract in July 2018, before going on to make his debut in the EFL Trophy. Recalled from an eye-catching loan spell at Gillingham in January 2021, his displays for the Sky Blues in the second half of the campaign contributed to over 20,000 minutes given to players under the age of 23 by manager Mark Robins last season. “He’s got the attributes to do whatever he wants in the game,” Robins said of the defender-turned-midfielder in April, and those associated with the club will be hoping for big things from the 21-year-old in 2021/22, as he looks to cement a regular spot in the Coventry side

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Better to get players in at the start of pre-season, give us a chance to play as a team rather than a collection of strangers.

Anyway, looking forward to who we decide is our LWB and GK.

I'm sure the budget will stretch to us having one player for each rather than one having to double up as rush goalie.

Grendel

That may have happened in the past but it's not a factor under the new management team G

players and staff are still furloughed aren’t they?

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

If it’s true there’s two keepers coming in it is a bit of a strange one re. Wilson’s contract although to be fair I consider him an okay reserve, but it also puts a question mark on Tom Billson 21 in October he should by now be making a serious challenge to be number two atleast.

It's a weird thing with goalies now. It used to be that they'd rarely get considered before their mid-twenties and weren't considered to be in their prime until about thirty. Now it's ' you're 21 and not pushing into the first team so you're not going to make it". I remember when the development/reserve team keeper could be around 24 and no-one considered it that unusual or felt they were developing too slowly.

I've always felt that the more defensive the position the more likely to are to develop into at a later age, mainly because the 'flair' attacking positions are to do with personal skill and technical ability, which are more apparent at a younger age, mixed in with the exuberance and risk-taking mindset of youth. As you go more defensive it's about discipline, tactical awareness and positioning allied to far more reliance on communication. Those often take longer to develop, esp communication which you get through confidence from experience. There are of course exceptions but as a general rule I think it sticks

MAFF

from the telegraph..."Goalkeepers linked so far include Brighton’s Christian Walton and Wolves’ Matija Sarkic, although CoventryLive understands that, contrary to reports, the latter is not on the club’s radar."

bit weird. wasn't it the tele that initially linked us to sarkic??

SlowerThanPlatt

from the telegraph..."Goalkeepers linked so far include Brighton’s Christian Walton and Wolves’ Matija Sarkic, although CoventryLive understands that, contrary to reports, the latter is not on the club’s radar."

bit weird. wasn't it the tele that initially linked us to sarkic??

The ITK wars are starting to hot up

Users who are viewing this thread