21/22 season expectations (1 Viewer)

Hobo

Grendel will relaunch his sack Robins campaign. Fans will be moaning because we are not playing 4-4-2. They will moan about the state of the pitch and get all nostalgic about playing at St Andrews. The new keeper will be written off after two games as being worse than Burge.

rob9872

14th, steady progress

Sky Blue Pete

Have to have ambition. You don’t set out the season to say mid table is good after one season the champ and surviving. Play-offs is the target and how close can we get with some strengthening.
It’s what we did last year. Set out to finish 4th from bottom. Robins says his biggest ever achievement in football management

skybluetony176

A season to match stokes and would be very happy next season .want to see progression fewer goals conceded a striker who gets double figures.
I think they’re pretty reasonable expectations. Hopefully with the experience of this season we’ll be better defensively and if we can keep our first choice strikers injury free we’ll improve on that score too.

cov donkey kick

I think they’re pretty reasonable expectations. Hopefully with the experience of this season we’ll be better defensively and if we can keep our first choice strikers injury free we’ll improve on that score too.
For city to improve there is the key areas on the pitch that need to.

SleepyGinger

New GK to come in and be an improvement on Wilson/Marosi. Permanent replacements for Ostigard and mccallum of the same quality. Hamer to rediscover his form from the start of this season and Walker to prove himself as a genuine goal scorer at this level. 60 points would be a good season.

NortonSkyBlue

Unusually we conceded quite a few direct from the kick off with Bristol City, QPR, Bournemouth coming to mind. We also fell asleep after half time, was it Preston and Cardiff? The penalties given against us were too many to list and they were costly.
So wake up before kick offs, give away half as many penalties and hopefully we can maintain the home form at the Coventry Arena then we can look forward to an improved season.
I have faith in Robins to fill in the gaps and face the second season without fear.

clint van damme

I would say the strong form over the final 8 games got us up to the points tally we should’ve had in the first place considering all the points we needlessly threw away earlier on. The aim should always be to better the previous performance

We didn't needlessly throw anything away. We were acclimatising to a new league with barely a handful of appearances at this level amongst the whole squad.

D

Deleted member 2477

New GK to come in and be an improvement on Wilson/Marosi. Permanent replacements for Ostigard and mccallum of the same quality. Hamer to rediscover his form from the start of this season and Walker to prove himself as a genuine goal scorer at this level. 60 points would be a good season.
To find permanent signings that are equal quality to Ostigard and Mccallum would cost us a lot more money than we have got unless MR can find a hidden gem or two. I think we will rely on a couple of good loans again

Brighton Sky Blue

I do agree with much of what you’re saying, but not all. Don’t think anyone is suggesting that we don’t demand 100% from players. I’d also add that despite very poor moments- they’ve given 100% this year.

We’ve been unlucky with injuries this season, but we’re by no means alone in that. Norwich had some bad times. Bristol City have had it much worse than us. Don’t know enough about all the other teams, but we can be too blinkered about our own club.

We had some bad luck this year. Some terrible decisions / errors on the pitch that have cost us points. I expect there to be less next year, but we’ll still have some.

We’ve also had luck. Reading at home (their keeper). Derby away - we scraped a point in injury time after they missed an open goal a few mins earlier. Wycombe away- lino wrongly disallowed their equaliser in injury time. I look at other games like Huddersfield at home, Stoke at home, Barnsley away and both Birmingham games- I think we were the weaker team yet picked up a point in all of them.

We have a weak defence and are possibly losing the two best parts (McCallum & Osti). We’ll recruit to try to fix these issues, and more. Hopefully it’ll work. We’ve made good use of the loan market in the past.

For me the crux is, have we over-achieved this year and looking at the teams below us - will we be better than them next year? I think we probably did over-achieve by a few points in the end (probably about 4).

My biggest concern is expectations getting too high and then negativity setting into the whole club if / when we have a bad patch. We’ve seen people here calling for MR to go at times this year. I accept he cannot be immune from criticism. In March I was getting frustrated.

I’m looking at hopefully trying to achieve what Luton did this year, but being mindful that this is optimistic.

Over a 46 game season you get what you deserve
We didn't needlessly throw anything away. We were acclimatising to a new league with barely a handful of appearances at this level amongst the whole squad.

I can think of both Forest and Boro games for starters

Skyblueweeman

We did have a few silly games over the season where we chucked away points and perhaps should've won. If we have a similar season to this but just turn around 3 games, that extra 9 points puts us in 10th so the top 10 has to be the goal next season.

Our team has a seasons experience under our belts, we'll be on a par with everyone else next season from a match sharpness point of view and with a bit better luck with injuries, I certainly think top 10 is a good target and achieveable.

Oh, and no more taxis....

steve cooper

I am sure we will all be going into next season hoping for the playoffs but at the same time we could have very easily been relegated had not beaten Rotherham, which was crucial. For me then it is balancing hope with realism. If we can build year on year and be in a position to challenge for the playoffs within 3, I would say that would be massive progress, and not at all negative.
Why do you say we could easily have been relegated if we had not beaten Rotherham?
We were on 42 points before that game, as it turned out 44 was enough. We took 10 points after the Rotherham game (including a 6-1 win) Sorry, I just can't see the logic in that statement.

Hadji's_Goatee

I think we could have finished comfortably in the top half this season. But long injuries to key players like our GK, player of the season Dabo the tank engine, captain dick-tastic Kelly, top scorer Godz and star signing Walker have taken their toll. We hit the ground walking after such a long inbetweener season break.

A comfortable top half is a minimum, look at the dross teams who have finished above us this year. This team has the potential to do very well. With some cracking acquisitions, we could be a top 1/3 team next season.

Osti, James and Walsh please gaffer 👍

clint van damme

Over a 46 game season you get what you deserve

I can think of both Forest and Boro games for starters

I'm not saying we didn't throw points away but mistakes and poor game management were to be expected givenour inexperience at this level.
We improved in both particularly towards the end and ended up performing beyond a lot of peoples expectations.

Brighton Sky Blue

I'm not saying we didn't throw points away but mistakes and poor game management were to be expected givenour inexperience at this level.
We improved in both particularly towards the end and ended up performing beyond a lot of peoples expectations.

I understand that, my point was simply they were very bad errors made in the late stages of games. Not that these were to be unexpected

Frostie

But of course that’s working on the assumption that no other team has made silly mistakes

Everyone seems to think we're the only team that do it. It's probably fair to say we've had more than our fair share of individual errors but also look at some of the goals we've scored;
The own goal away at Millwall, Biamou v Derby where Byrne passed it straight to O'Hare, similar against Brentford.
Yes, we deserve credit for the way we pressed to create those mistakes but had the shoe been on the other foot we'd be lambasting our errors.

It was the first season at this level for the majority of the squad & took us time to adapt which has to be expected. I'm sure we'll improve in this regard.

PVA

If we aren’t in the playoffs after the first game then surely it’s time for Robins to go.

Bugsy

If we aren’t in the playoffs after the first game then surely it’s time for Robins to go.

nah its got to be top of the league, if not its NOPM...PUSB

Alkhen

I'm just hoping for a kinder spread of fixtures next season.

The weighting of big top their teams all one after another was rough. Especially in October. I hated coming on here round those runs. So many deluded doom and gloom merchants it was grim

We will be fine next year if we replace leaving players well. I could see us comfortable mid table and would be more than happy with that

SeaSeeEffCee

Replicate the end result of this season and I'll be happy. Would like it if we spread the good results out a bit more though, No long winless runs next season, please!

steve101

Why do you say we could easily have been relegated if we had not beaten Rotherham?
We were on 42 points before that game, as it turned out 44 was enough. We took 10 points after the Rotherham game (including a 6-1 win) Sorry, I just can't see the logic in that statement.
Because if the psychological impact of the victory. That gave the players a massive boost and took away a little bit of the pressure. I believe outcomes can hinge on key matches and momentum is crucial.

steve cooper

Because if the psychological impact of the victory. That gave the players a massive boost and took away a little bit of the pressure. I believe outcomes can hinge on key matches and momentum is crucial.
So if we had lost that game we would have needed 2 more points to finish above Derby on goal difference or 3 to be certain.
Do you think it unlikely we would have got 3 points from the remaining games?
Our season average PPG suggest otherwise, and that includes the psychological impact on losing games badly, such as QPR, Forest, & Blackburn.

Users who are viewing this thread