2020-21 Early Season Sky Blues Talk Half-Truths and Theories..... (1 Viewer)

DannyThomas_1981

I fully predict to read at various times this season:

Giles can't defend
Sheaf is a laughing mercenary
McFadz has been found out/past it
3 centre backs doesn't work in this division - let's bin it and go 4-4-2
No fucking around at the back Marosi - launch it
The team isn't big enough for this division - we need more physical presence
SISU is really serious about building a new stadium at Warwick Uni in the next couple of years
Various members of the forum on obligatory suicide watch if we go 1-0 down early on or lose a couple of games

;)

Last edited:

rob9872

Was concerned about our chances of staying up post promotion, I now genuinely believe mid table and with a decent start or good run of results could potentially sneak into the play offs.

mr_monkey

Giles can't defend
SISU is really serious about building a new stadium at Warwick Uni in the next couple of years
Various members of the forum on obligatory suicide watch if we go 1-0 down early on or lose a couple of games

;)

Change it robins
Taxi for robins
Two upfront

Grendel

Giles can't defend

;)

I expect various match threads to be detailed by you or Ring of Shite acting like an SBT version of Matthew Hopkins

Ring Of Steel

Change it robins
Taxi for robins
Two upfront

People spending more time typing their live critique of the match than actually watching the match. The match threads are pretty entertaining when you read them after the event, seeing just how clueless people are & how they suddenly completely change their views as if they've forgotten what they said minutes earlier

Ring Of Steel

Was concerned about our chances of staying up post promotion, I now genuinely believe mid table and with a decent start or good run of results could potentially sneak into the play offs.

I like your thinking (y) I have no idea what to expect, even now- nothing would surprise me, this is a season unlike any other with everything going on.

DannyThomas_1981

I expect various match threads to be detailed by you or Ring of Shite acting like an SBT version of Matthew Hopkins

If you're ever honest with yourself Grendel, your so called football expertise is very neatly summed up in 3 simple words: 'Taxi for Robins'. Nothing more to add.

Seriously I hope you enjoy the season old pal - going to be very challenging in this division and we will need to show real patience at times.

mr_monkey

If you're ever honest with yourself Grendel, your so called football expertise is very neatly summed up in 3 simple words: 'Taxi for Robins'. Nothing more to add.

Seriously I hope you enjoy the season old pal - going to be very challenging in this division and we will need to show real patience at times.

Think you have summed it up perfectly there mate, we all need to have patience this season and understand how difficult this league is.

Finishing anywhere outside the relegation zone would arguably be the biggest achievement we have made since the last time we stayed up in the premiership, the championship is such a step up its scary.

cc84cov

Based on what ? We haven’t looked great pre season & Saturday,staying up is the aim this year.

cc84cov

Think you have summed it up perfectly there mate, we all need to have patience this season and understand how difficult this league is.

Finishing anywhere outside the relegation zone would arguably be the biggest achievement we have made since the last time we stayed up in the premiership, the championship is such a step up its scary.
Agreed

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

In all fairness to Grendel at that time, weren’t we slumping a little in league 2. We won the play offs but we were limping along until the last 10 games.

not getting out of that league at first attempt would have been a travesty. The fact we were in league 2 was a travesty. I don’t buy this small budget crap in league 2 - we had one of the biggest and were lower that Accrington, Wycombe, Exeter.

shmmeee

Really no idea what to expect this season. Going in assuming a relegation battle, but can't squash the little voice in my head that say 'what if?'. I thought we'd fall away all last season and we didn't. The mentality of the team to grind out results is really impressive and there were times against Peterborough that we looked every bit a Championship side. Though against MK we looked every bit a L1 side. So many unknowns: new signings, how people will step up, injuries, the impact of the pandemic.

Gonna be a fun season.

Ring Of Steel

In all fairness to Grendel at that time, weren’t we slumping a little in league 2. We won the play offs but we were limping along until the last 10 games.

not getting out of that league at first attempt would have been a travesty. The fact we were in league 2 was a travesty. I don’t buy this small budget crap in league 2 - we had one of the biggest and were lower that Accrington, Wycombe, Exeter.

No, it was last season, we were 7th in League One, lost 3 games from 20.

Ring Of Steel

Really no idea what to expect this season. Going in assuming a relegation battle, but can't squash the little voice in my head that say 'what if?'. I thought we'd fall away all last season and we didn't. The mentality of the team to grind out results is really impressive and there were times against Peterborough that we looked every bit a Championship side. Though against MK we looked every bit a L1 side. So many unknowns: new signings, how people will step up, injuries, the impact of the pandemic.

Gonna be a fun season.

Definitely- of all seasons this is the hardest to call. Can't wait for the talking to stop & the matches to start now tbh

shmmeee

Yup, Dec 14th 2019 after the Shrewsbury game, we wouldn't lose another all season.

Mucca Mad Boys

Exiting League 2 is quite difficult. Before ourselves and Donny the season prior, I think around 2 teams managed to bounce back in a 5-10 year period.

Considering the rebuild we had to do, and only few players (Burge, Willis, Stokes/Haynes - anymore?) survived from the team that got relegated.

It was actually a very good achievement to get promoted at the first time of asking.

Evo1883

Are we trying to stifle any negative posts in match day discussions, as I keep saying the game is talked about in the moment, it's raw emotion from many people... I get some people go too far, but there's 90 minutes, you can be awful for 87 minutes and trail 1-0, upto that moment the team can be awful, the managers tactics wrong and the thread will have reacted to 87 minutes of shite... But then 2 goals in 3 minutes can change it to elation.... It's called football, a beautiful game.

It wouldn't be a forum without the large difference in opinion, it would be an echo chamber

Last edited:

covcity4life

Giles can't defend

;)

Can i add:

A thread about mowbray summer recruitment

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

Apologies, I’ve mixed the threads ups. Wasn’t there a “taxi for Robins” thread when we lost to Colchester?

Exiting League 2 is quite difficult. Before ourselves and Donny the season prior, I think around 2 teams managed to bounce back in a 5-10 year period.

Considering the rebuild we had to do, and only few players (Burge, Willis, Stokes/Haynes - anymore?) survived from the team that got relegated.

It was actually a very good achievement to get promoted at the first time of asking.
I’d still disagree with this. A club our size should never have been there. Comparing us to Doncaster is a bit disingenuous.

we had a bigger budget than most, we were the big fishes in that league. Like wolves in league one were (sounding like Sunderland fans I know - but they shouldn’t be in league one) We should have been promoted automatically

Bolton will come straight back up aswell. Their rebuild is arguably bigger

ultimately it’s not a big issue because we did bounce back at first attempt

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

People spending more time typing their live critique of the match than actually watching the match. The match threads are pretty entertaining when you read them after the event, seeing just how clueless people are & how they suddenly completely change their views as if they've forgotten what they said minutes earlier

That's the nature of the game though - things can change quickly.

If a player gives a ball away to an attacker and the opposition score he's going to be called shit. Then from the kick off he could waltz around their entire team and score and he's a hero. All in the space of a minute. It's an emotional reaction to things as they stand at that moment. Both reactions are understandable.

Same as you have a striker who doesn't touch the ball all game and has calls for him to be replaced to try something different. He then scores a 90th minute winner and it's great he was left on. If he doesn't score that winner post-match it'd be "why wasn't he replaced? It clearly wasn't working"

It's a very fluid set of circumstances and the opinions and reactions of people will reflect that.

Grendel

Not forgetting the ‘I knew he’d do a job off the bench’ about Max and Grendel saying the goal doesn’t count as there were no fans there

It doesn’t count as it’s against school children

rob9872

Based on what ? We haven’t looked great pre season & Saturday,staying up is the aim this year.
Staying up is the aim, I just think we'll do better. I like the recruitment, some of whom are yet to even play and I rate the type of squad again for age, hunger, balance. We're not the finished article we wont compete with ex Prem budgets, but have a good feeling. Woukd also say despite not pulling up trees pre season, including Sat at MKD in cup, we're 6 straight wins.

Ring Of Steel

That's the nature of the game though - things can change quickly.

If a player gives a ball away to an attacker and the opposition score he's going to be called shit. Then from the kick off he could waltz around their entire team and score and he's a hero. All in the space of a minute. It's an emotional reaction to things as they stand at that moment. Both reactions are understandable.

Same as you have a striker who doesn't touch the ball all game and has calls for him to be replaced to try something different. He then scores a 90th minute winner and it's great he was left on. If he doesn't score that winner post-match it'd be "why wasn't he replaced? It clearly wasn't working"

It's a very fluid set of circumstances and the opinions and reactions of people will reflect that.

The biggest thing from the MK game.. for me we saw plenty of games like that last season (with extra rustiness v MK though), where we sure didn't 'look' like champions elect- especially earlier in the season- but had a way to win. Its massive that we seem to still have that ability, to not get all stressed, desperate, rash etc and just keep grinding all match and find a way to win the game. That was more of a positive than any negatives you can seriously take from individual errors by players who barely put a foot wrong all last season and who were clearly not at full match speed. Its not just about yelling & screaming about the last 5 seconds & slating everything, that just indicates that we are all a bunch of nervous wrecks who don't really get where we are as a club.

We shouldn't be afraid of anything ahead- long hard season coming up no doubt but we deserve to be here, and bottom line is that we've got to come above teams we already came above last yr plus a club who start on -12 points. Are we really so pessimistic that we're gonna jump all over anyone who puts a foot wrong & act so bloody terrified in every game? The players blatantly aren't so why are we? I've no doubt we'll take a few pastings next season, thats the jump in class we face, and there will also probably be a few awful "1-0 up with 20 mins left" CCFC-style nailbiters, but I'm ok with that, thats where we are. All the mad reactionary stuff like "this is the worst match of all time" & "get him off" etc- it almost always turns out to be wrong anyway, only my view but I don't get it at all when there is so much other stuff to be looking at.

Ring Of Steel

Staying up is the aim, I just think we'll do better. I like the recruitment, some of whom are yet to even play and I rate the type of squad again for age, hunger, balance. We're not the finished article we wont compete with ex Prem budgets, but have a good feeling. Woukd also say despite not pulling up trees pre season, including Sat at MKD in cup, we're 6 straight wins.

I do think Saturday might be a bit of a baptism of fire though

rob9872

I do think Saturday might be a bit of a baptism of fire though
Possibly, but equally if we get off to a flyer with our momentum and togetherness, we might get some early points on the board to breed confidence and belief.

(although I'm usually glass half full of type of optimism ahead of a new campaign)

Ring Of Steel

Possibly, but equally if we get off to a flyer with our momentum and togetherness, we might get some early points on the board to breed confidence and belief.

(although I'm usually glass half full of type of optimism ahead of a new campaign)

Me too, and I also think we're gonna be ok, I just have a 'feeling' about this first match... if its a really poor game but ends 0-0 I'll be delighted, first hurdle completed :p

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

The biggest thing from the MK game.. for me we saw plenty of games like that last season (with extra rustiness v MK though), where we sure didn't 'look' like champions elect- especially earlier in the season- but had a way to win. Its massive that we seem to still have that ability, to not get all stressed, desperate, rash etc and just keep grinding all match and find a way to win the game. That was more of a positive than any negatives you can seriously take from individual errors by players who barely put a foot wrong all last season and who were clearly not at full match speed. Its not just about yelling & screaming about the last 5 seconds & slating everything, that just indicates that we are all a bunch of nervous wrecks who don't really get where we are as a club.

We shouldn't be afraid of anything ahead- long hard season coming up no doubt but we deserve to be here, and bottom line is that we've got to come above teams we already came above last yr plus a club who start on -12 points. Are we really so pessimistic that we're gonna jump all over anyone who puts a foot wrong & act so bloody terrified in every game? The players blatantly aren't so why are we? I've no doubt we'll take a few pastings next season, thats the jump in class we face, and there will also probably be a few awful "1-0 up with 20 mins left" CCFC-style nailbiters, but I'm ok with that, thats where we are. All the mad reactionary stuff like "this is the worst match of all time" & "get him off" etc- it almost always turns out to be wrong anyway, only my view but I don't get it at all when there is so much other stuff to be looking at.

We have definitely become more confident on the pitch in the way we play and confidence in our ability to get back into games rather than heads dropping.

But that's on the pitch, we're talking about in the stands. Emotions run high because of that and a frustration that you can't do anything about it as you're powerless to do anything as a fan. So that frustration gets vented.

Some of that confidence is starting to rub off on the fans - we're definitely feeling more confident of coming back into games but that doesn't mean the frustration of the moment doesn't get the better of you.

Mucca Mad Boys

Apologies, I’ve mixed the threads ups. Wasn’t there a “taxi for Robins” thread when we lost to Colchester?

I’d still disagree with this. A club our size should never have been there. Comparing us to Doncaster is a bit disingenuous.

we had a bigger budget than most, we were the big fishes in that league. Like wolves in league one were (sounding like Sunderland fans I know - but they shouldn’t be in league one) We should have been promoted automatically

Bolton will come straight back up aswell. Their rebuild is arguably bigger

ultimately it’s not a big issue because we did bounce back at first attempt

The job got done and got promoted whilst outperforming the other relegated teams. Playoffs or automatic, the result was the same. We then followed up by outperforming all the promoted teams bar Luton, and then won L1 the season after.

Swindon were almost definitely in a better position than us. I don’t believe we had the biggest budget in that league by any means either.

Show some respect to the league, clubs like Pompey, Luton, Bradford, Plymouth and so on have struggled to bounce back at the first time of asking. Considering the club was in terminal decline, we’ve did really well to get back up.

You don’t know Bolton will bounce straight back up. But, for what it’s worth, I hope they do.

DannyThomas_1981

We have definitely become more confident on the pitch in the way we play and confidence in our ability to get back into games rather than heads dropping.

But that's on the pitch, we're talking about in the stands. Emotions run high because of that and a frustration that you can't do anything about it as you're powerless to do anything as a fan. So that frustration gets vented.

Some of that confidence is starting to rub off on the fans - we're definitely feeling more confident of coming back into games but that doesn't mean the frustration of the moment doesn't get the better of you.

I agree with a lot of this Dreamer; football is an emotional game and that what makes it different.

But I might be alone on this; I've just never understood the need to scream abuse at our own players from the stands for perceived mistakes. It's a very dynamic game, with decisions made in a split second with many moving parts. It might be the case for example that the player who is viewed to have made the mistake - has been dragged way out of position to cover for another one of our players.

Anyway point really is, I would say I care about this club as much as anyone else. Do I go along to scream abuse at our players after we go a couple of goals down. Not my thing as it's completely counterproductive to the team and individuals in the team. Last season I saw AB subbed and being subjected to some entirely needless abuse as he walked off the pitch. I will never get it, frustration or not.

I'm more in the camp of getting behind the lads if we go a goal down; some of my best memories of watching the City (Leeds away Boxing Day as a great example) connected to our support immediately turning up the volume as soon as we concede, giving full backing to the team when they really need it and then watching the likes of Huckerby destroying the oppo. Happy days for me vs. going mental in frustration.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread