2020-21 Early Season Sky Blues Talk Half-Truths and Theories..... (1 Viewer)

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

So basically you are ignoring all that went before the League 2 season. It didn’t matter what state the club or the team were in Robins had to deliver in your view. In my opinion that remains a really harsh way to look at the situation. Presumably then an 8th place finish and Robins would justifiably have been sacked in your opinion, therefore never having the chance to produce the success we have enjoyed in the last three seasons. We would have been on the same managerial merry go round that has characterised Sisu’s ownership and has resulted in disaster. At least they finally seem to see that having faith in someone with a plan might actually be the way forward. If Bolton get promoted, great for them and their manager and fans. If they do, just like us, they will have bucked the trend. If they don’t, let’s hope that their manager is given thanks and then time for at least steadying another sinking ship, if that is what he has achieved. (Although at least they have a ground).
Having no home ground makes no difference to the players? I think statistics that show the advantage of playing at home prove you wrong. You say games at St Andrews made no difference. I give credit to Robins and the team for overcoming a major disadvantage.. It’s amazing how many pundits, managers etc have said what a fantastic achievement winning the league was while playing away every week, but that isn’t even acknowledged by one of our own fans.
My two eldest boys, the ones I mention above, are 33 and 26. Like you, until that season they had seen nothing to celebrate. Being a City fan was a curse. Robins has changed all of that. And that started with the Check a Trade and continued with our fantastic season in division 4. They finally have some positive memories. It’s a shame that you would have got rid of Robins for finishing two places lower and therefore probably missing out on the great occasions he has subsequently produced.

Pressley dealt with more than Robins had going into League Two. It was a blank canvas for Robins - I credit him for the players. He came in with no pressure - assessed the squad and brought in who he needed.

I never said I’d have sacked him, I would however would have considered it if we weren’t drastically improved - I.e pushing the autos after 10 games

the checkatrade was my favourite game. I never expected the win.I just went for my first trip to Wembley. Going into the Exeter game, I never contemplated losing because I expected to win. It was a formality in my eyes

Ultimately we got through, since then he’s had more shit - St. Andrews etc but managed it well.

re the players - many of the first team squad don’t come from Coventry nor have an affinity, I guarentee that it doesn’t bother them whether we play at the Ricoh or St Andrews. Ultimately they playing for a wage - admittedly they wouldn’t be here if we were at Northampton, but the facilities for the players at St Andrews are as good if not better than that available to them at the Ricoh

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

Aspiration is one thing. Making it happen after inheriting a team in complete free-fall is something very different.

Surely as a City fan you will remember our successive relegations and not being able to be promoted back at the first time of asking from the various leagues - it's nowhere near as easy as you are suggesting.

Finally telling ISB to bore off; you need to show far more respect son. ISB was there first time around when we rose through the leagues and was there again to see us promoted out of L2 under Robins. His posts are always reasonable and well argued - probably the most well liked poster on here.
I give him credit for that. I have always done. Like I said it’s more about expectation. I bought in to “Division One on tour” didn’t expect much with Thorn. In my eyes he should have been sacked after the Forest championship game when we still had a chance. For what it’s worth I think if we’d have had Robins Or a competent manager at the time - we’d have stayed up. But getting relegated to League Two is bottom of the barrel. I may not have been there in the 50s , so maybe I don’t expect my football team to be at the lowest wrung. It wasn’t Robins’ fault we were relegated - but he was given the tools to get us promoted. He did so- like I said made a meal of it but got there

you talk about respect, but it’s easy for someone who’s seen the club successful growing up in the 50s 60s, and seeing 87 to say it’s not that easy - for someone who started supporting early 90s, playing United, Arsenal,Liverpool etc its hard to comprehend why on earth we’re playing Accrington, Wycombe and Forest Green let alone being beat by them

Irish Sky Blue

Pressley dealt with more than Robins had going into League Two. It was a blank canvas for Robins - I credit him for the players. He came in with no pressure - assessed the squad and brought in who he needed.

I never said I’d have sacked him, I would however would have considered it if we weren’t drastically improved - I.e pushing the autos after 10 games

the checkatrade was my favourite game. I never expected the win.I just went for my first trip to Wembley. Going into the Exeter game, I never contemplated losing because I expected to win. It was a formality in my eyes

Ultimately we got through, since then he’s had more shit - St. Andrews etc but managed it well.

re the players - many of the first team squad don’t come from Coventry nor have an affinity, I guarentee that it doesn’t bother them whether we play at the Ricoh or St Andrews. Ultimately they playing for a wage - admittedly they wouldn’t be here if we were at Northampton, but the facilities for the players at St Andrews are as good if not better than that available to them at the Ricoh
In terms of the stadium, you’re right I am sure the players don’t care that much and St Andrews would be comparible to the Ricoh in many ways. What does make the difference is who is in the stadium. If we had been playing at the Ricoh with 15k City fans and 500 away fans that surely gives us more of an advantage than 5k City fans and 500 away. If it doesn’t, what is it that makes playing at home such an advantage?

Last edited:

Ring Of Steel

I give him credit for that. I have always done. Like I said it’s more about expectation. I bought in to “Division One on tour” didn’t expect much with Thorn. In my eyes he should have been sacked after the Forest championship game when we still had a chance. For what it’s worth I think if we’d have had Robins Or a competent manager at the time - we’d have stayed up. But getting relegated to League Two is bottom of the barrel. I may not have been there in the 50s , so maybe I don’t expect my football team to be at the lowest wrung. It wasn’t Robins’ fault we were relegated - but he was given the tools to get us promoted. He did so- like I said made a meal of it but got there

you talk about respect, but it’s easy for someone who’s seen the club successful growing up in the 50s 60s, and seeing 87 to say it’s not that easy - for someone who started supporting early 90s, playing United, Arsenal,Liverpool etc its hard to comprehend why on earth we’re playing Accrington, Wycombe and Forest Green let alone being beat by them

So basically what you’re saying is that you’re much younger so don’t know or understand as much as people who’ve seen it all over the last 40,50+ years. I agree with you.

DannyThomas_1981

I see your perspective HDW; from another perspective you can also see that it was probably even more crushing for someone like ISB who lived through the glory years of the late 60s under Jimmy Hill and 34 consecutive years in the top division......to see us back in L2 where it all started due to the complete mismanagement of the club.

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

So basically what you’re saying is that you’re much younger so don’t know or understand as much as people who’ve seen it all over the last 40,50+ years. I agree with you.
That’s not what I’m saying at all. Look you all obviously have low expectations - happy to doss around with the behemoths that are Newport and Accrington.

I want this club back in the premier league. I don’t expect them to be in League Two. I expected promotion, clearly I was expecting too much that season and I should as shocked as you all were that we were. didn’t Blackpool bounce back first time of asking? They were in arguably more turmoil than us.

In terms of the stadium, you’re right I am sure the players don’t care that much and St Andrews would be compatible to the Ricoh I many ways. What does make the difference is who is in the stadium. If we had been playing at the Ricoh with 15k City fans and 500 away fans that surely gives us more of an advantage than 5k City fans and 500 away. If it doesn’t, what is it that makes playing at home such an advantage?

I always think the home playing field has lost its advantage in modern football. Certain places used to be intimidating - I went to the Den. Just reminded me of a old stadium in London. Didn’t get the fuss, but in the 80s obviously it weren’t pleasant.

I always found that we stuttered in front of big crowds at the Ricoh 2bh.

BornSlippySkyBlue

Without getting into the rest of the discussion I can pretty much assure you this isn’t true. My son was a mascot last season so we saw first hand the facilities that the team had use of. St Andrews isn’t a new stadium, I suspect the facilities at the Ricoh are light years ahead.

The home changing room is pretty basic, just benches and hooks, massage tables in a separate room. Few spin bikes, that type of thing. The managers room (or at least the room where we met Sir Mark Robins) was just a basic office. The whole stand has that feeling of a 50 year old council building. I mean no disrespect to BCFC there, it’s just a building of a certain age. The Ricoh, for all it’s faults and toxic recent history, is a superior facility to St Andrews. No brainer.

mr_monkey

Without getting into the rest of the discussion I can pretty much assure you this isn’t true. My son was a mascot last season so we saw first hand the facilities that the team had use of. St Andrews isn’t a new stadium, I suspect the facilities at the Ricoh are light years ahead.

The home changing room is pretty basic, just benches and hooks, massage tables in a separate room. Few spin bikes, that type of thing. The managers room (or at least the room where we met Sir Mark Robins) was just a basic office. The whole stand has that feeling of a 50 year old council building. I mean no disrespect to BCFC there, it’s just a building of a certain age. The Ricoh, for all it’s faults and toxic recent history, is a superior facility to St Andrews. No brainer.

Apart from the quality of the pitch of course, something which robins mentioned numerous times during the season

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

I see your perspective HDW; from another perspective you can also see that it was probably even more crushing for someone like ISB who lived through the glory years of the late 60s under Jimmy Hill and 34 consecutive years in the top division......to see us back in L2 where it all started due to the complete mismanagement of the club.
Possibly. But whilst we deserved to be in League Two - I shouldn’t have to accept it. We as fans should strive to see the club better, not accept mediocrity - which is what 8th or lower in league two would have been.

I never said I’d have sacked Robins, I stated the season would have been a failure. Accepting mediocrity in my eyes was the problem up until relegation ironically. The amount of players we signed that stayed just for A last wage was criminal.

average players were accepted. What’s changed is a clear Pathway for the academy, A recruitment team to identify the players and a DNA to the club.

what I do admire from Robins is that - he’s turned that losing mentality the club has had for 20 years around.

he’s also ruthless - Doyle - cut. JCH -cut. Biamou seems to be down the pecking order. If they don’t fit they’re out.

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

Difference is we were made to use the away dressing room and pretty much locked out of the decent facilities at the Ricoh?

But thats decent insight 👍

Ring Of Steel

That’s not what I’m saying at all. Look you all obviously have low expectations - happy to doss around with the behemoths that are Newport and Accrington.

I want this club back in the premier league. I don’t expect them to be in League Two. I expected promotion, clearly I was expecting too much that season and I should as shocked as you all were that we were. didn’t Blackpool bounce back first time of asking? They were in arguably more turmoil than us.

I always think the home playing field has lost its advantage in modern football. Certain places used to be intimidating - I went to the Den. Just reminded me of a old stadium in London. Didn’t get the fuss, but in the 80s obviously it weren’t pleasant.

I always found that we stuttered in front of big crowds at the Ricoh 2bh.

Lol, low expectations- that’s just more silliness. You have no grasp on reality to be honest.

Irish Sky Blue

Aspiration is one thing. Making it happen after inheriting a team in complete free-fall is something very different.

Surely as a City fan you will remember our successive relegations and not being able to be promoted back at the first time of asking from the various leagues - it's nowhere near as easy as you are suggesting.

Finally telling ISB to bore off; you need to show far more respect son. ISB was there first time around when we rose through the leagues and was there again to see us promoted out of L2 under Robins. His posts are always reasonable and well argued - probably the most well liked poster on here.
Thank you!

BornSlippySkyBlue

Difference is we were made to use the away dressing room and pretty much locked out of the decent facilities at the Ricoh?

But thats decent insight 👍
Whatever the arrangement was at the Ricoh, I’d be genuinely surprised if the facilities weren’t better than what they have at the moment. Not sure they care that much, but that’s a different thing.

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

I expect to stay up next season so god knows why you keep telling me I’d be happy in League Two, you aren’t making any sense.
I was initially criticised for suggesting that I felt we made a meal of League Two. I expected to be promoted easily.

I was told it was a massive achievement. I disagreed, again it was the least I expected. For some reason your “grip on reality” is suggesting my expectations that season were too high

Liquid Gold

So basically you are ignoring all that went before the League 2 season. It didn’t matter what state the club or the team were in Robins had to deliver in your view. In my opinion that remains a really harsh way to look at the situation. Presumably then an 8th place finish and Robins would justifiably have been sacked in your opinion, therefore never having the chance to produce the success we have enjoyed in the last three seasons. We would have been on the same managerial merry go round that has characterised Sisu’s ownership and has resulted in disaster. At least they finally seem to see that having faith in someone with a plan might actually be the way forward. If Bolton get promoted, great for them and their manager and fans. If they do, just like us, they will have bucked the trend. If they don’t, let’s hope that their manager is given thanks and then time for at least steadying another sinking ship, if that is what he has achieved. (Although at least they have a ground).
Having no home ground makes no difference to the players? I think statistics that show the advantage of playing at home prove you wrong. You say games at St Andrews made no difference. I give credit to Robins and the team for overcoming a major disadvantage.. It’s amazing how many pundits, managers etc have said what a fantastic achievement winning the league was while playing away every week, but that isn’t even acknowledged by one of our own fans.
My two eldest boys, the ones I mention above, are 33 and 26. Like you, until that season they had seen nothing to celebrate. Being a City fan was a curse. Robins has changed all of that. And that started with the Check a Trade and continued with our fantastic season in division 4. They finally have some positive memories. It’s a shame that you would have got rid of Robins for finishing two places lower and therefore probably missing out on the great occasions he has subsequently produced.
That is quite spectacular arse kissing.

Irish Sky Blue

That is quite spectacular arse kissing.
Don't know Mark Robins, never met him, probably never will. Nothing to gain from saying things how I see them.
I just don't understand the need to belittle an achievement we haven't achieved since 1970 (finishing top 6 in the league) and another in gaining promotion for the first time since 1967.

Users who are viewing this thread