20 years ago today since.... (1 Viewer)

Sky Blue Kid

As someone who's about to turn 30 next year (a long with many city fans I'm guessing), he was easily the best player I've seen in our shirt (not counting say boosts testimonial or the half a dozen games Wise was here for). He still to this day sounds like a fantastic guy and I don't blame him for what he did, going to Villa. He's never said a bad word about the club and even though it was very much relegation dog fighting most of the time, he should have been playing for England.

Definitely should have played more games for England than the two he did. Both games he played in he showed sheer class.

Covstu

Dion was just class. For the money we paid, he was the bargain of the century for us without a doubt. Continual work rate on and off the ball gave us something we hadn't had for years (and never had since). Gutted the day he left us but if anyone deserved the 'big money move' then it was Dion. Although I still remember that cold night in Luton expecting him to play!
Roland was another one which oozed class even at the age we had him.

Astute

His replacement at MUFC? Eric Cantona. I don't SAF will think he made a mistake! Do you?
But what would Dublin have done at Manure if he could be Prem top scorer with Coventry City whilst also playing in defence? If he would have stayed at Manure he would have been 1st choice for England. We had him at his peak.

Grendel

Dion was an awesome player for us. Not just for his contribution on the pitch, but he was/is a natural leader. I have no doubts that without Phil Neale signing him with some of the money from the Phil Babb deal we would have been relegated far sooner.
As for centre forwards he's up there with Colin Stein for me, but Stein had the benefit of Tommy Hutchison mesmerising defenders before crossing it to the great man to head in! Whereas, Dion carved a lot out with a mixed bunch of players around him in his early days here.

Stein only averaged a goal in every 4 games. Never really cut it in the English game.

Londonccfcfan

But what would Dublin have done at Manure if he could be Prem top scorer with Coventry City whilst also playing in defence? If he would have stayed at Manure he would have been 1st choice for England. We had him at his peak.

Very similar player to Sheringham and he forged a career at man united. And he got a lot more England caps than Dion.

Yes agree.

Adge

Blackburn....I think I know what your eluding to...lol

I think they were the only club in the league without a single.....non white player? No way he would go there.
No it wasn't for that reason! :emoji_grin:
Just reading through some of the posts it seems the majority appreciate the impact he had in our team/club. It's only the morons who don't/haven't seen it.

Londonccfcfan

No it wasn't for that reason! :emoji_grin:
Just reading through some of the posts it seems the majority appreciate the impact he had in our team/club. It's only the morons who don't/haven't seen it.

Haha, must be a coincidence as Walker never signed a single coloured player.

Yes as one other poster mentioned earlier....there’s some things you remember, and I remember that evening feeling gutted when he wasn’t in the cov teamsheet for some cup match.

RegTheDonk

To compare him to Hutch is a bit unfair, it was a different era, a different pace, different team mates and different styles - both of them are legends and enjoyed watching them both play.

One of my favourite games watching Dion was when he played at Centre half away against Leicester, scored 2 headers as we beat them 2-0, and sitting on my hands amongst Leicester fans who were frothing at the mouth and trying to 'spot' any CCFC fans in the stand I was in (missed me !)
Wasn't there H but glad he still was able to come up for set pieces and use his noggin. Recall the cup match at blues our lad was sent off (think it was Daish?) and Dion went and played in his position. I and a few others thought WTF must have been the first time he was called on to play there, but the bloke was immense. Childish of me to be honest, but I was miffed when he went to Villa, more down to having work colleagues rubbing it in and Gregory's attitude of dismissing us and saying how great Man U were, rather than being p'd at Dion. I thought maybe the reason he wanted a move was kept being asked to play defence when all he wanted to do was be a striker...didn't realise it was Richardson, must have been jealous of his cock :D

hill83

giphy.webp

Adge

Haha, must be a coincidence as Walker never signed a single coloured player.

Yes as one other poster mentioned earlier....there’s some things you remember, and I remember that evening feeling gutted when he wasn’t in the cov teamsheet for some cup match.
Yeah I was at that game-it was v Luton at Kenilworth Rd and I was also mad when he "refused to play" for us. That wasn't the case as I found out from the great man himself (he lived opposite me for years until fairly recently) that Villa as part of the deal didn't want him cup tied which obviously would have been if he had played.

DannyThomas_1981

Tommy Hutchison for me, possibly nostalgia plays a part. He was a great provider and a wonderfully fluid footballer who could twist and turn opponents with ease. From his home debut againgst Man City he was our talisman and made things happen for 8 great years, left too soon and I felt he was part of the glue that held 4 teams together including the great youngsters we had coming through at the start of the eighties.
Dion: what a player! From his debut at QPR he was immense and there were periods when he was unplayable in attack and a colossus in defence. If Huckerby was the headless chicken, Whelan the mercurial element, it was Dion who provided the platform for them to play on. A classic number nine.
He was a player who was better being a big fish in a little pond in my opinion.

Agree with most of this except the commentary on Huckerby. He was absolutely unplayable in many games and a complete 'game changer'. His partnership and understanding with Dublin was lethal. Huckerby was one of my favourite ever players and I would place him right up there with Dublin. No headless chicken Riyad despite that being a fashionable retrospective view!

Irish Sky Blue

Colin Stein's only English club was Coventry. Therefore if he didn't cut it in England, he didn't with us. That simply isn't true. Stein was a class player for us forming a formidable partnership with Brian Alderson and playing his part in one of the most exciting Coventry teams I have seen. The only reason he left here was because of the fire sales at the time due to financial difficulties.

NortonSkyBlue

Agree with most of this except the commentary on Huckerby. He was absolutely unplayable in many games and a complete 'game changer'. His partnership and understanding with Dublin was lethal. Huckerby was one of my favourite ever players and I would place him right up there with Dublin. No headless chicken Riyad despite that being a fashionable retrospective view!
Huckerby was a fantastic talent but too easy to read. He had one trick and exploited it magnificently until defenders worked him out.
He dropped his shoulder and cut inside and ran.
He didn't do well at City or Leeds and found himself again at Norwich in the second division where he was fantastic against players who hadn't come across him or were less talented.
That said it was his amazing ability to get caught offside time and time again that counts against him for me.
He was amazing on his day and I couldn't believe our luck that Newcastle let him go.

NortonSkyBlue

What's that word again?.... Hindsight! SAF didn't buy Cantona until after Dublin broke his leg. He would never have bought him if Dublin was injury free ;)
We will never know but do you think he regrets letting Dublin leave to play football once he was fit? He stated Dublins attitude meant he had to let him go. He was superb, dedicated and a great guy in the dressing room but needed to be playing.

bawtryneal

Agree with all the DD comments
A great No 9 but could have played for England as a CB
Played CB for us on a small number of occasions and his reading of the game was excellent. John Terry ( in his prime) like.

bawtryneal

We will never know but do you think he regrets letting Dublin leave to play football once he was fit? He stated Dublins attitude meant he had to let him go. He was superb, dedicated and a great guy in the dressing room but needed to be playing.

He was also the longest in the shower according to Ferguson.

Colin Steins Smile

Colin Stein's only English club was Coventry. Therefore if he didn't cut it in England, he didn't with us. That simply isn't true. Stein was a class player for us forming a formidable partnership with Brian Alderson and playing his part in one of the most exciting Coventry teams I have seen. The only reason he left here was because of the fire sales at the time due to financial difficulties.
Agreed. He made space for other players and worked incredibly hard. He was also really tough. I remember him having a really bad injury and because we had used our one substitute he stayed on although he was hopping about on one leg.....and then scored the winning goal with a header. I can't think of too many of todays players that would have the guts to do that.

Grendel

Don’t agree. Alderson also had a poor scoring record and the club suffered from lack of goals at the time. Cross was a better player and I don’t get the fire sale bit - didn’t the club sign Collier and Jones for a small fortune in 76? Anyway stein and Alderson weren’t fit to lace the boots of the real striking duo of the 70’s - Wallace and Ferguson.

DannyThomas_1981

Huckerby was a fantastic talent but too easy to read. He had one trick and exploited it magnificently until defenders worked him out.
He dropped his shoulder and cut inside and ran.
He didn't do well at City or Leeds and found himself again at Norwich in the second division where he was fantastic against players who hadn't come across him or were less talented.
That said it was his amazing ability to get caught offside time and time again that counts against him for me.
He was amazing on his day and I couldn't believe our luck that Newcastle let him go.

Riyad you make some fair points. I do think it's very harsh to describe him as a one trick pony though. Huck read the game well and it wasn't just by good fortune that he was in the right place for flick ons from Dublin. In addition to his pace and sense of where the ball was going, he was lethal in front of goal from all angles. Anyway I guess we have lots of areas of agreement here. Also good to see another City fan in the Middle East, I've been in Qatar for 3 years and shortly moving to Abu Dhabi. I noticed a young guy walking around in a City shirt in Doha not so long ago. We're not alone!

Irish Sky Blue

Agreed. He made space for other players and worked incredibly hard. He was also really tough. I remember him having a really bad injury and because we had used our one substitute he stayed on although he was hopping about on one leg.....and then scored the winning goal with a header. I can't think of too many of todays players that would have the guts to do that.
I think that might have been against Newcastle. He had a heavily bandaged leg, could hardly walk but still managed to head home a far post header at the West End. The game was televised but can't find it on YouTube.

Irish Sky Blue

Don’t agree. Alderson also had a poor scoring record and the club suffered from lack of goals at the time. Cross was a better player and I don’t get the fire sale bit - didn’t the club sign Collier and Jones for a small fortune in 76? Anyway stein and Alderson weren’t fit to lace the boots of the real striking duo of the 70’s - Wallace and Ferguson.
Disagree. Alderson came through the youth system and when he first broke into the team he was played as a winger. Only later on did he play as a striker. When Stein and Hutch arrived, we were transformed that season playing wonderful football until Wolves knocked us out of the Cup in the 6th round at Molineux. The fire sales were caused because Gordon Milne had signed Larry Lloyd with the expectation that he would recoup the money by selling Willie Carr to Wolves. Carr failed his medical and although he later joined Wolves it was for a much reduced fee. Stein returned to Rangers and Dennis Mortimer was sold to Villa. The one consolation during this time was that we kept hold of Hutch. Yes, David Cross was a good player and yes Fergie and Wallace were probably the best combination we have ever had. Doesn't take away from Stein and Alderson.
Collier joined after this period, late 70s early 80s?when finances had recovered.
All about opinions but I think a lot of City fans who were around at that time would agree as to the prowess of Stein and Alderson.

NortonSkyBlue

Disagree. Alderson came through the youth system and when he first broke into the team he was played as a winger. Only later on did he play as a striker. When Stein and Hutch arrived, we were transformed that season playing wonderful football until Wolves knocked us out of the Cup in the 6th round at Molineux. The fire sales were caused because Gordon Milne had signed Larry Lloyd with the expectation that he would recoup the money by selling Willie Carr to Wolves. Carr failed his medical and although he later joined Wolves it was for a much reduced fee. Stein returned to Rangers and Dennis Mortimer was sold to Villa. The one consolation during this time was that we kept hold of Hutch. Yes, David Cross was a good player and yes Fergie and Wallace were probably the best combination we have ever had. Doesn't take away from Stein and Alderson.
Collier joined after this period, late 70s early 80s?when finances had recovered.
All about opinions but I think a lot of City fans who were around at that time would agree as to the prowess of Stein and Alderson.
Stein gave us something we were missing and although not prolific chances came because of his presence. Anderson was top dog for a while before Stein and Hutch came and he needed support.
It was the lack of goals in 74-75 that hurt us and Milne looked to change things and brought in Cross and promoted Alan Green and tried Nardiello.
When you look at some of the players we had you can see that we were punching above our weight.
Peter Hindley, Neil Ramsbottom, Alan Dugdale, John Craven????
That said Carr, Mortimer, Hutchison and Stein were some of our best ever.
That Wolves game in 73 really affected the team for a long period.

Sky Blue Kid

This.

We had some outstanding kits in the 90s when we allowed smaller brands to make them.

Have we actually had a shirt in the past 15 years that would score any higher than a 7/10?

I'd say yes. Once. The copy retro kit of our proper sky blue kit from the 60's. ;)

Sky_Blue_Daz

Completely agree

DazzleTommyDazzle

Agree with all that except that the version I'd heard was that the Lloyd transfer was to be funded by the sale of Jimmy Holmes to Spurs, but just as it was about to happen the Spurs manager (I think it was Bill Nicholson) was sacked and so the deal fell through.

Irish Sky Blue

Agree with all that except that the version I'd heard was that the Lloyd transfer was to be funded by the sale of Jimmy Holmes to Spurs, but just as it was about to happen the Spurs manager (I think it was Bill Nicholson) was sacked and so the deal fell through.
You could be right! Might have got the two transfers mixed up.

Travs

Not wanting to put a negative slant on this... but even in our Premier League "glory years" there was so much negativity from the fans. People calling up Mercia saying they're never going again, after a narrow loss to a Spurs, Everton, etc.

Perhaps if they had known what would ensue in the next 20 years they might have looked on it differently.

I also remember the outrage whenever we sold one of our better players. Considering we had to do it in the Premier League to survive, I do wonder when people get outraged now when we have to sell on our best talents to teams in leagues above us. That's how football works unfortunately.

For me, Dublin was the best I've seen (since I started going up in 1992). When he was sold I was gutted, and gave him loads of abuse (as did the whole City end) when we stuffed villa 4-1 away, but I was a young 15 year old who knew no better. I also remember being utterly heartbroken when he didn't get in the squad for the 98 World Cup, that was a travesty.

I also have to say that in the season or two that Strachan played for us he was absolutely fantastic and seemed to have the ability to dictate every game he played.

Users who are viewing this thread