20 years ago today since.... (1 Viewer)

Adge

Yeah, nobody since could lace his boots. Maybe Keane in the short time he was here-but Dion done it for 5-6 years consistently.

Grendel

Can't even get his name right

But yeah, Dublin is my all time favourite Cov player.

I’ve seen both and for impact on the team Dublin is the best. Hutchison was a great player - an old fashioned winger - but he had a lot of poor games and never scored enough goals (public lynching will now happen) Dublin actually had a phenomenal impact when you look at it.

Sky Blue Harry H

One of my favourite games watching Dion was when he played at Centre half away against Leicester, scored 2 headers as we beat them 2-0, and sitting on my hands amongst Leicester fans who were frothing at the mouth and trying to 'spot' any CCFC fans in the stand I was in (missed me !)

Paul Anthony

Dublin was such a talisman. I don't think it's an overstatement to say without him, we'd have gone down sooner. When you look at it, we had a lot of good attacking options over those last few top flight seasons. Dublin, Huckerby, Whelan, Keane. If only we'd had a better defence to match our forwards, we might have snatched a top 6 finish somewhere in there.

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

Dublin was such a talisman. I don't think it's an overstatement to say without him, we'd have gone down sooner. When you look at it, we had a lot of good attacking options over those last few top flight seasons. Dublin, Huckerby, Whelan, Keane. If only we'd had a better defence to match our forwards, we might have snatched a top 6 finish somewhere in there.
Agree with all of the above .
Looking back , we never had it so good .

letsallsingtogether

Just loved being a Coventry supporter in those wonderful days, everyone had heard of our players and the club had respect.
More of a chore now just go because I always have:(

AngryAnt

As someone who's about to turn 30 next year (a long with many city fans I'm guessing), he was easily the best player I've seen in our shirt (not counting say boosts testimonial or the half a dozen games Wise was here for). He still to this day sounds like a fantastic guy and I don't blame him for what he did, going to Villa. He's never said a bad word about the club and even though it was very much relegation dog fighting most of the time, he should have been playing for England.

Adge

As someone who's about to turn 30 next year (a long with many city fans I'm guessing), he was easily the best player I've seen in our shirt (not counting say boosts testimonial or the half a dozen games Wise was here for). He still to this day sounds like a fantastic guy and I don't blame him for what he did, going to Villa. He's never said a bad word about the club and even though it was very much relegation dog fighting most of the time, he should have been playing for England.
I think him going to Villa has now become diluted and people just remember the great player he was for us. Besides, a select few know the real reason he went there and not to Blackburn. :emoji_stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

no_loyalty

I think him going to Villa has now become diluted and people just remember the great player he was for us. Besides, a select few know the real reason he went there and not to Blackburn. :emoji_stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

He has been forgiven by City fans, unlike that traitor George Boateng

Londonccfcfan

Dublin so many great memories...took the piss out of desailly and labouf...

Does anyone remember that header vs Forest...I'm sure he scored it from outside the penalty area (or so it seemed).

Clever clever striker..he lacked in pace..but my word his positioning and awareness.

Couldn't do it all himself...he onc scored a hatrick once and we still lost..vs Wednesday...

I could go on and on.....zzzzzzzz

In our lifetimes I'm afraid we won't ever have the leading goal scorer in a premier league season again albeit he was joint top with Owen.

JulianDarbyFTW

I spoke to Phil Neal about a month after we signed him, and Neal said he'd had no idea how good Dion's left foot was. He also said that when Lee Hurst got over his knee injury we'd have one hell of a team. Lee Hurst is one of my saddest memories of that time (alongside David Rennie's presence in the first team). Such a shame for the lad.

Londonccfcfan

I spoke to Phil Neal about a month after we signed him, and Neal said he'd had no idea how good Dion's left foot was. He also said that when Lee Hurst got over his knee injury we'd have one hell of a team. Lee Hurst is one of my saddest memories of that time (alongside David Rennie's presence in the first team). Such a shame for the lad.

He was that good ...Cantona was his replacement.

Londonccfcfan

Blackburn....I think I know what your eluding to...lol

I think they were the only club in the league without a single.....non white player? No way he would go there.

olderskyblue

I’ve seen both and for impact on the team Dublin is the best. Hutchison was a great player - an old fashioned winger - but he had a lot of poor games and never scored enough goals (public lynching will now happen) Dublin actually had a phenomenal impact when you look at it.

Agree with this. For talent, hutch has everyone beat, but for impact, Dion wins.

NortonSkyBlue

Tommy Hutchison for me, possibly nostalgia plays a part. He was a great provider and a wonderfully fluid footballer who could twist and turn opponents with ease. From his home debut againgst Man City he was our talisman and made things happen for 8 great years, left too soon and I felt he was part of the glue that held 4 teams together including the great youngsters we had coming through at the start of the eighties.
Dion: what a player! From his debut at QPR he was immense and there were periods when he was unplayable in attack and a colossus in defence. If Huckerby was the headless chicken, Whelan the mercurial element, it was Dion who provided the platform for them to play on. A classic number nine.
He was a player who was better being a big fish in a little pond in my opinion.

Astute

I remember where I was when I heard Elvis died.

I remember where I was when I heard Princess Diana died.

I remember where I was when I heard Dublin was going to Villa.

Best striker I have ever seen for us. Also one of the best defenders. I have had a few debates with those calling him judas. He was a free agent. He signed for us again when he could have chosen nearly any club he wanted. Then as soon as he signed Richardson started touting him around. But he refused to go. He had it made clear he was being sold. He had his family settled. Villa came in for him. Yes he refused to play the last game that was the day before he was due to sign for Villa. And we only got him because of a major injury he got. But we had shown no loyalty to him. I will alwaus defend him on this. Class player. Class bloke.

Irish Sky Blue

I really liked Dublin, great player for us and probably, along with Oggy, the reason we survived some of those relegation battles. However, Hutch was wonderful, worth the admission money just to go and see him play. As for saying he had lots of poor games, I would totally disagree. His consistency was one of the great things about him. He was week in week out the stand out player in what were sometimes quite poor Coventry teams. Despite the tackling allowed when he played, and the stick that he got, he was rarely injured. Robbin's called him "Mr Magic" and if ever a nickname was applicable it was this one. Tommy Hutchison, simply magic!

ovduk78

I have to admit to being a bit unsure when we paid £2m for Dublin, an ex Cambridge forward who had been injured at Man Utd and hardly played for them. How wrong I was? He was our talisman and it is arguable that he was the best player we have had since I started watching us in 1973 in 2 positions

Colin Steins Smile

Dion was an awesome player for us. Not just for his contribution on the pitch, but he was/is a natural leader. I have no doubts that without Phil Neale signing him with some of the money from the Phil Babb deal we would have been relegated far sooner.
As for centre forwards he's up there with Colin Stein for me, but Stein had the benefit of Tommy Hutchison mesmerising defenders before crossing it to the great man to head in! Whereas, Dion carved a lot out with a mixed bunch of players around him in his early days here.

Terry Gibson's perm

Hutch was before my time, so Dublin is the best by miles as he done it over a number of years rather than one season like Keane(although he would have continued to be good), one of the best I have seen was Trevor peake who should have played for England

Sky Blue Kid

I have to admit to being a bit unsure when we paid £2m for Dublin, an ex Cambridge forward who had been injured at Man Utd and hardly played for them. How wrong I was? He was our talisman and it is arguable that he was the best player we have had since I started watching us in 1973 in 2 positions

It was the one mistake that SAF made. He thought Dublin would never be as good as he was before he broke his leg... Thanks SAF :)

Users who are viewing this thread