Match Thread ⚽️ Sunderland vs Coventry City Match Thread - Sunday 31st Jul (1 Viewer)

Philosorapter

Sunderland :
giphy.gif

Just having a look over the team rating for the league from last year. The top 6 teams had a rating between (1573) to (1677).

I would say (1600) is still the chase figure to obtain. I think this number to achieve could have slightly dropped from City's time in league 1 because of the increase of quality of the teams in the league, which would lead to more draws, and hence lowering the assumed top 6 total.

Teams with high ratings that are equal to their opponent's strength tend to draw more than other teams with lower ratings, but are equal in strength.

The make up of every league is slightly different.

SkyBlueSoul

Potential banana skin but think we'll be alright. It's early enough for them not to have adapted to the step up and the crowd will only give them so much extra, maybe even get on their backs if things aren't going well. 2-1 City, Vik and Rose.

Be good to have the SBA drowning them out/in shite

blunted

Pre season form can often be meaningless. They will have a big crowd that may influence a weak ref. Don't know who the ref will be. Remember how poor we started in the Championship after pissing L1. Used to be you do not want to play promoted sides from the off when they are full of running and confidence. However, the Championship is a harsh league, and minor mistakes you get away with in L1 are harshly punished. Don't like their manager who I think will play a roughneck game. I think we are a much better side than Sunderland but need to be on top form from the off. Defence needs to be on it and take our chances and we could have a great start.

Briles

If they defend like they just did for hartlepools goal we'll be laughing

Seaside-Skyblue

I think equally if they don't start well, the fans will be putting pressure on them and will have a negative effect. I think the atmosphere in general will boost our own team, I don't think we will be phased one bit. Expecting it to be a fast a furious style game and end to end so hopefully we can control it and not lose heads.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

Legia Sky Blue

I think equally if they don't start well, the fans will be putting pressure on them and will have a negative effect. I think the atmosphere in general will boost our own team, I don't think we will be phased one bit. Expecting it to be a fast a furious style game and end to end so hopefully we can control it and not lose heads.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

While they do tend to turn on their team at times, I don't think they will do so in their first match back in the Championship. Strange results regularly happen in the 1st game too and I think this whole day will be centred around them, which will make it doubly difficult for us. I would probably take a draw right now.

alexccfc99

We are comfortably a better side on paper

But I am worried that with 40,000 or so of their whinging lot in the ground a referee has the potential to crumble and give them absolutely everything - That being said, they are the biggest boo boys in the country so the best thing we could do is score early

My head says I’d take a point but my heart says I will settle for no less than going up there and putting 5 past them again, hate them

skyblue025

I think Sunderland are in for a shock at the step up in quality from League 1. They have been in poor form all pre season. Everything pointing to a City win. I'm going 2 nil.

WGABSOOS

While they do tend to turn on their team at times, I don't think they will do so in their first match back in the Championship. Strange results regularly happen in the 1st game too and I think this whole day will be centred around them, which will make it doubly difficult for us. I would probably take a draw right now.
Definitely true. I doubt sky will even mention us in the build up

Brighton Sky Blue

mark82

They're automated I think. Will merge.

shmmeee

They're automated I think. Will merge.

Should probably merge this as well, I’m getting confused where I have and haven’t commented 😂

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

Moore, Bidwell, Panzo, Hyam, Rose, Dabo, Sheaf, Hamer, O’Hare, Allen, Gyokeres

Wilson, Kane, Adaramola (If he signs) , Doyle, Palmer, Godden, Waghorn

1-1 - Gyokeres

PUSB!

JulianDarbyFTW

I'm torn between a stodgy first game of the season 1 - 1, and a blistering display that ends up with us running rampant and winning 0 - 3.

I do think Alex Neil's a good manager though, so I'll go for the 1 - 1.

Ashdown

There is a lot of expectation here. We should be the better team but a frenzied partisan crowd and a dodgy ref and things can change. If its still all square after 60 I'd hope for the win. Just got to avoid silly defensive errors in the first half hour.

LastGarrison

It's mad how on one thread people are predicting us finishing in the playoffs or quite comfortably top half yet on this one people are predicting we're going to struggle against a newly promoted side who came up through the play offs because they play in front of a big crowd and it is the opening game of the season.

I wonder if we were playing Rotherham or Wigan away would there be the same pessimism?

lordy_87

Wouldn't worry about the crowd, our players won't be fazed but while it may spur Sunderland on robins and adi will have the lads ready for what to expect, we know they'll come out the blocks fast and we'll be ready for it. Our class will shine through I'm confident of it.

Sick Boy

I’m sure our most recent successful pre-season was under Thorn and look how that ended up. We regularly lost our fair share of games pre season and they have no impact on our actually season.

B-Ban-Boogie

I can only see one winner.
Sunderland are going to come out the blocks flying, which will be a huge advantage for us as our slick passing will just be too good for them.
As someone said in a previous post, we seem to struggle with teams that sit deep, but the Mackems are going to be wide open as they pour forward in the first 10 minutes.
I honestly believe that if we score early, it will be a 4 or 5 goal route.

We are a 'really' good Championship team that play some quality football.
I'm very optimistic for this season.

mmttww

Predicting that The Empire is going to be a mess of crying kids upset by p*ssed-up people being loud and fighty. Looking fwd to a few LOLs.

Users who are viewing this thread