Match Thread ⚽️ Sheffield United vs Coventry City Match Thread - Monday 26th Dec (1 Viewer)

larry_david

Guys, Tavares signed a new deal in the summer til 2025 so whether you like it or not, MR has seen something in him.

And to my untrained eye yesterday he at least made runs off the ball, created space with his movement and demanded the ball. He was also the only player to actually run at them other that Gyokeres.

Grendel

Guys, Tavares signed a new deal in the summer til 2025 so whether you like it or not, MR has seen something in him.

And to my untrained eye yesterday he at least made runs off the ball, created space with his movement and demanded the ball. He was also the only player to actually run at them other that Gyokeres.

he also gave Kelly an extra two years

SBT

Can’t wait to still be here in spring 2045, when we’re losing 3-0 to Robot FC in the International Championship Super League, reading post after post saying that we need to bring on Tav to make runs at those tired legs and we’ll never know if he’s good enough until Robins gives him a chance.

stupot07

To be fair to Allen he covered a lot of ground to get back.

I can't believe how slow Doyle is to get back he's still well inside Sheffield's half. Rose and Panzo have busted a gut to at least try to get back.
db20bd6e59b8056bd858109a72192168.jpg
0262306fbfe90f93fd18672a6d870979.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

shmmeee

I can't believe how slow Doyle is to get back he's still well inside Sheffield's half. Rose and Panzo have busted a gut to at least try to get back.

Not to beat a dead horse, but the problem with Allen isn’t the amount of running he does, it’s what he does when he stops running and comes near a football.

Agree that Doyle could have done better.

stupot07

Not to beat a dead horse, but the problem with Allen isn’t the amount of running he does, it’s what he does when he stops running and comes near a football.

Agree that Doyle could have done better.
I think you're a bit harsh on Allen in general, he does the job Robins asks of him which is why he starts so many games. But I agree he was absolute dogshit yesterday.

Grendel

I think you're a bit harsh on Allen in general, he does the job Robins asks of him which is why he starts so many games. But I agree he was absolute dogshit yesterday.

yes and now o hare is out we’ve only really got hamer who can cover ground

palmer was I assume signed to play the o hare role but he’s going to struggle as the fixture list builds

Grendel

Looks like the only good thing from yesterday is, if O’Hare is out for sometime, at least he’ll still be here after January

I hope that’s a joke

fatso

Busting a gut to get into a position to do fuck all! That's the whole problem.
He's always busy contributing nothing.

shmmeee

Ive hit the same point with Allen as I have with Kelly and did with Shipley. At some point the lack of quality is glaring and you get sick of watching them have zero impact on the game. I’d much rather see Waghorn up with Vik and Palmer in behind at this point.

My big issue with Robins, as much as I love him, is he’s so cautious. We end up playing 5311 with Allen on the pitch. And if we’re doing that I’d rather see the likes of Eccles or Burroughs in CM. I don’t think withdrawing everyone to the 18 yard line and leaving Vik alone up front actually makes us more solid.

PVA

Ive hit the same point with Allen as I have with Kelly and did with Shipley. At some point the lack of quality is glaring and you get sick of watching them have zero impact on the game. I’d much rather see Waghorn up with Vik and Palmer in behind at this point.

Yeah the problem with Allen is that the likes of Hamer, Sheaf, O'Hare and Palmer are just a level above him in terms of technique and footballing brain/speed of thought.

They're all just one step ahead of him and he doesn't read what they're going to when giving or receiving the ball.

He does some good things but ultimately he's just not at the same level as those players.

shmmeee

He always seems to have something to stop him being fully fit. The dog'll be eating his testicles next.

It’s just been that and the fact he hadn’t played for ages hasn’t it?

I mean that’s the pool of players we fish in. Unproven, or injured, or had a falling out.

NorthernWisdom

To be fair to him during our good run he started 7 of 11 games (and came on after 5 minutes in another) so I think he is capable of it, though this busy Christmas period might be pushing it!
Tended to get taken off 60-70 minutes, so not really capable of a full run of games.

Now arguably, that's because we expect him to do the running of O'Hare and he can't, no shame in that. That would open up questions as to why we'd sign a creative player and ask him to do a different job to the one he's capable of, however.

PVA

Tended to get taken off 60-70 minutes, so not really capable of a full run of games.

Now arguably, that's because we expect him to do the running of O'Hare and he can't, no shame in that. That would open up questions as to why we'd sign a creative player and ask him to do a different job to the one he's capable of, however.

I think he was signed to play alongside O'Hare, and we've seen how effective they can be together. But a combination of O'Hare's injury, Palmer's niggles and Allen's good form has affected that first choice pairing.

Grendel

Yeah the problem with Allen is that the likes of Hamer, Sheaf, O'Hare and Palmer are just a level above him in terms of technique and footballing brain/speed of thought.

They're all just one step ahead of him and he doesn't read what they're going to when giving or receiving the ball.

He does some good things but ultimately he's just not at the same level as those players.

Why is Allen always the preferred choice then ahead of palmer?

Brighton Sky Blue

The plan was to play him with O’Hare and have one complement the other with Hamer being used as the financial makeweight. Nobody bit on Hamer, O’Hare has now turned into paper and we’re going into January skint with the league top scorer on the books.

Bodes well

Grendel

I think he was signed to play alongside O'Hare, and we've seen how effective they can be together. But a combination of O'Hare's injury, Palmer's niggles and Allen's good form has affected that first choice pairing.

how many games have o hare and palmer actually started together

Hertsccfc

It has to be because of fitness issues. Palmer is one if our most talented players. Allen is considerably below the quality of most of our other first team players in terms of quality.

NorthernWisdom

I'd also point out that Allen makes excellent runs that half the time are ignored by others. There's a load of bullshit said about the bloke, and he seems (for reasons I really don't understand when he's actually improving year on year!) to have become the new Sheaf in the eyes of some, where anything he does must be run down.

Nobody's denying he was shit yesterday, and it's a shame when he plays well that can't be acknowledged in return.

Grendel

How many games have both been fully fit?

palmer has started 70 league games in his career - Allen 253 - they are a similar age. Why?

Grendel

It has to be because of fitness issues. Palmer is one if our most talented players. Allen is considerably below the quality of most of our other first team players in terms of quality.

No manager has ever chosen palmer regularly to start at any club he’s been at have they?

Grendel

Yes it's a real mystery how it's easier to get in the Rochdale side than the Chelsea team

He’s played for 6 clubs other than Chelsea? Allen left Rochdale 6 years ago?

PVA

He’s played for 6 clubs other than Chelsea? Allen left Rochdale 6 years ago?

While Allen was racking up the appearances for Rochdale in League Two, Palmer was winning the Youth Champions League alongside Mount, Abraham and Tomori.

Comparing their number of career appearances is such a stupid way of trying to prove Allen is better than Palmer.

Users who are viewing this thread