Match Thread ⚽️ Luton Town vs Coventry City Match Thread - Wednesday 14th Sep (1 Viewer)

Finham

Anyone hear what MR said after the match?
"They were better this week in training, the brain-fog had lifted on Monday, whatever has been bothering them has gone. It was one hell of a goal by Hyam the other night, he didn't get many like that for us. I miss Hyam, but we don't have Hyam, which is shame".OK last bit exaggerated but not much, heh. "It's not that easy with free agents as they're 4-5 weeks off match fitness. A lot of them are on trial at clubs and you have to wonder if they're that good if they're not signing them on".

I wonder what the "brain-fog" was. Had they been worrying about The Queen?

Brighton Sky Blue

"They were better this week in training, the brain-fog had lifted on Monday, whatever has been bothering them has gone. It was one hell of a goal by Hyam the other night, he didn't get many like that for us. I miss Hyam, but we don't have Hyam, which is shame".OK last bit exaggerated but not much, heh. "It's not that easy with free agents as they're 4-5 weeks off match fitness. A lot of them are on trial at clubs and you have to wonder if they're that good if they're not signing them on".

I wonder what the "brain-fog" was. Had they been worrying about The Queen?

#AnnounceCahill

Paxman II

As always a bit of over reaction from many on here. We largely played OK if at times a little disjointed, due mainly to Luton's style of play. But we always looked like scoring and so it proved with twice coming from behind. Soft silly giveaway goals again cost us but we grew in confidence after equalising a second time. The defence needs some tweeking and lets be fair we have not played that many games yet, including big gaps. Not easy to get up to speed especially when you play all those games away from home remember, all but one.
Gyokeres, Dabo, Sheaf, Allen Hamer all begining to find their form is a good sign. Could have won it tbf. I think they will settle a bit now and start to play better for a full 90 minutes. We are at our second home on Saturday and while Brum won at West Brom it's worth noting niether of them seem like good sides.
If we could get Kelly back sitting in front of the back 3 it would help a lot I feel. Hamer could then push up more often. He scored a screamer tonight and is capable of more. O'Hare is the big miss obviously and palmer probably not capable of a 90 minute energy contested game yet. I must say Wilson looked a bit unsure of himself tonight.

steveo1987

Just got in, immaculate one minute silence, shaky first half with constant shithousery from Morris.. Dabo shaky at best ( much better 2nd) Bidwell pretty good and the midfield average. Viktor very good even after missing the early chance. Godden looked anonymous.
2nd half , we took control, Sheaf immense along with Hamer running the show, Allen looked lively and we could have won that although they should had a pen . Luton were a one dimensional long ball shit show who ran out of ideas.

rexo87

Did Robins say anything about the Rose injury. Leaves us horribly short at the back

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

slowpoke

Did Robins say anything about the Rose injury. Leaves us horribly short at the back

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk
His reaction to his injury didn’t look good but we defended better second half, MR might have to look at system change unless he can bring a free transfer in not sure about a Doyle, McFadz, Panzo back three to be honest.

Brighton Sky Blue

Rose, Fadz and Dabo have been consistently terrible since the start of the season (some longer) yet Bidwell is still catching much of shit on the Facebook forum. Absolute freaks.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Seen one use a picture of Gyo standing apart from the others during the warm up as ‘proof’ he still wants out.

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

As always a bit of over reaction from many on here. We largely played OK if at times a little disjointed, due mainly to Luton's style of play. But we always looked like scoring and so it proved with twice coming from behind. Soft silly giveaway goals again cost us but we grew in confidence after equalising a second time. The defence needs some tweeking and lets be fair we have not played that many games yet, including big gaps. Not easy to get up to speed especially when you play all those games away from home remember, all but one.
Gyokeres, Dabo, Sheaf, Allen Hamer all begining to find their form is a good sign. Could have won it tbf. I think they will settle a bit now and start to play better for a full 90 minutes. We are at our second home on Saturday and while Brum won at West Brom it's worth noting niether of them seem like good sides.
If we could get Kelly back sitting in front of the back 3 it would help a lot I feel. Hamer could then push up more often. He scored a screamer tonight and is capable of more. O'Hare is the big miss obviously and palmer probably not capable of a 90 minute energy contested game yet. I must say Wilson looked a bit unsure of himself tonight.
There wasn’t really an overreaction - in 5 away games this season we’ve conceded 1,3,3,3,2. The reaction again was conceding stupid school boy goals. Most of them being totally avoidable. This is happening every game. Even the goals conceded against Preston and Sunderland were avoidable.

it’s alarming the ease it is to make our defence crumble. Going forward we don’t seem bad - but If we don’t sort the defence out urgently we’re going to go down. that’s not an overreaction, that’s fact.

clint van damme

There wasn’t really an overreaction - in 5 away games this season we’ve conceded 1,3,3,3,2. The reaction again was conceding stupid school boy goals. Most of them being totally avoidable. This is happening every game. Even the goals conceded against Preston and Sunderland were avoidable.

it’s alarming the ease it is to make our defence crumble. Going forward we don’t seem bad - but If we don’t sort the defence out urgently we’re going to go down. that’s not an overreaction, that’s fact.

It's been like this since we returned from L1.
Defence has always been our achilles heel but people seem to focus on going forward.

I still think we should look at a formation that accommodates a midfielder sitting in front of the CBs.
People will say Kelly but not sure he's upto it.

ms639

Petrified by our defence

Dabo - what has happened to the man? Absolutely bereft of confidence, couldn’t make a simple first touch last night

Rose - miles off it, was the same against Norwich, yes it was Fadz initial mistake for the goal but Rose dawdling back to cover was shambolic

Fadz - sorry to say it but think this will be his last season, a distinct drop in form from last year

Doyle - naive, good with the ball at his feet but shaky defensively and very poor in the air

Bidwell - he’s a LB not a LWB. He’s solid but doesn’t set the world alight going forward, not in the same league as maatsen

Panzo - very confused as to why he’s been out of the side, looked very composed, won most of his duels and a real driving force with the ball at his feet, had to be straight back in for me

Hyam - why the fucking fuck did we sell him?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Balli001

Petrified by our defence

Dabo - what has happened to the man? Absolutely bereft of confidence, couldn’t make a simple first touch last night

Rose - miles off it, was the same against Norwich, yes it was Fadz initial mistake for the goal but Rose dawdling back to cover was shambolic

Fadz - sorry to say it but think this will be his last season, a distinct drop in form from last year

Doyle - naive, good with the ball at his feet but shaky defensively and very poor in the air

Bidwell - he’s a LB not a LWB. He’s solid but doesn’t set the world alight going forward, not in the same league as maatsen

Panzo - very confused as to why he’s been out of the side, looked very composed, won most of his duels and a real driving force with the ball at his feet, had to be straight back in for me

Hyam - why the fucking fuck did we sell him?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The same Bidwell with a couple of assists already this season?

TomRad85

Defence has always been our achilles heel but people seem to focus on going forward.

I still think we should look at a formation that accommodates a midfielder sitting in front of the CBs.

First point - it has but this season its actually painful.

Second point - I agree

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

clint van damme

Not a coincidence we improved after Rose went off.

We didn't improve immediately after Rose went off, we improved second half.
Rose has been poor this season but Dabo, Fadz and even Doyle were far more culpable than him for the goals.
It doesn't help when the opposition can take out your 3 midfielders with one pass because they're chasing the ball like a bunch of school boys.

larry_david

We didn't improve immediately after Rose went off, we improved second half.
Rose has been poor this season but Dabo, Fadz and even Doyle were far more culpable than him for the goals.
It doesn't help when the opposition can take out your 3 midfielders with one pass because they're chasing the ball like a bunch of school boys.
People mentioned Allen and goddens work rate. Fair enough but at this level we need more. Plus how effective is it. Like you say the whole midfield are bypassed.

Allen doesn't stop running but does he ever intercept, anticipate, block, tackle? Does he heck, he didn't get close once last night. You could argue he was supposed to be the attacking link so not his role, a) he's useless going forwards and b) o hare was in thr same energetic position and made something like the most interceptions.

Fact is Allen is a squad player at best and due to finances, injury and MR refusal to trust anyone else, he's playes every minute of every game. Not good enough.

Godden is a great goalscorer but as we all know, everything else is not to this standard. Maybe that's not his fault, last night he had one half chance and was so tired he swung a leg and missed it.

MR has to improve too. This is big boys stuff now. They're brought in 5 subs for a reason and he doesn't make a single chance except for forced defensive injury? They made 3 and grabbed the momentum back.

It's infuriating because it's clear to everyone we were tiring

clint van damme

People mentioned Allen and goddens work rate. Fair enough but at this level we need more. Plus how effective is it. Like you say the whole midfield are bypassed.

Allen doesn't stop running but does he ever intercept, anticipate, block, tackle? Does he heck, he didn't get close once last night. You could argue he was supposed to be the attacking link so not his role, a) he's useless going forwards and b) o hare was in thr same energetic position and made something like the most interceptions.

Fact is Allen is a squad player at best and due to finances, injury and MR refusal to trust anyone else, he's playes every minute of every game. Not good enough.

Godden is a great goalscorer but as we all know, everything else is not to this standard. Maybe that's not his fault, last night he had one half chance and was so tired he swung a leg and missed it.

MR has to improve too. This is big boys stuff now. They're brought in 5 subs for a reason and he doesn't make a single chance except for forced defensive injury? They made 3 and grabbed the momentum back.

It's infuriating because it's clear to everyone we were tiring

I actually get more frustrated with Sheaf and Hamer than Allen.
Allen is giving us his best, he cant go beyond that but them pair can be so much better, and by better I'm mainly mean consistent.
Last night was a prime example, from spells of being abject to spells of totally controlling midfield.

Offhegoes

1st half was like a flashback from our first six months in the Championship. Looking lively going forward, but conceding (or looking like conceding) every time the opponent gets near our box. Once Luton got their 2nd we became sloppy and were lucky not to go in further behind at half time. 2nd half was much better. We got meaner at the back, and really fought hard. Goal was deserved.
The decision to then protect what we had was bizarre but understandable in a way. We had to avoid defeat, and our defence is so fragile, that had we thrown ourselves forward for the win, Luton could of picked us off and won the game with ease.

Brighton Sky Blue

I think this season we have our worst defence out of our 3 seasons in this league.

Hobo

An away point is always a good point and we got nothing at Luton last year.

We have had a terrible stop start to the season which affects players getting match fitness, competitive sharpness - no amount of training can replicate playing games.

The squad is short in numbers we know that. I think last night after a bad start, Robins just backed what he thought were his best players and in the second half they came through it and looked like they might win it.

There are still plenty of games left and we can still dig our way out of the bottom three. It is going to be a long tough haul and not one for bed wetters. The defence is lacking confidence and needs to go back to basics.

Back and support the players - they are the only ones we have.

Sick Boy

We have had a terrible stop start to the season which affects players getting match fitness, competitive sharpness - no amount of training can replicate playing games.

The squad is short in numbers we know that. I think last night after a bad start, Robins just backed what he thought were his best players and in the second half they came through it and looked like they might win it.

There are still plenty of games left and we can still dig our way out of the bottom three. It is going to be a long tough haul and not one for bed wetters. The defence is lacking confidence and needs to go back to basics.

They made changes to counteract and then they were the only team who looked like winning - in the end we were hanging on for a point when it was there for the taking.

slowpoke

Our fortunes this season will be down to our home form we have to make the CBS a bit of a fortress not got onto a good start but Preston always win here anyhow so nothing new there.

Grendel

Our fortunes this season will be down to our home form we have to make the CBS a bit of a fortress not got onto a good start but Preston always win here anyhow so nothing new there.

We were about 15th in the home league last season and that’s after winning the first six. I think it’s 4 home wins in 18

Sick Boy

Our home form from the second half of last season is very poor.

Users who are viewing this thread